First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
I wonder if those that have noise issues installed them wrong or didn’t torq the bolts down right or maybe bolted one body mount section at a time. I slowly bolted them down by doing each bolt a little at a time like you do when putting 9n a tire. And I had a jack hold them up.
Sponsored

Cure4Jen

First Name
Jen & Kai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
I had creaking for a while too. My neighbor who is a fellow Jeeper helped me take pretty much all of the hardware off the passenger side and start over. The Jeep had actually started to eat one of the washers because it was so small compared to the oval hole. We put fender washers on those. That movement had caused bad things to happen on the U bolt, so we had to spacer it out. Thankfully I didn't break anything. My creaking is gone though!

I dipped my pinch seams using Rustoleum Peel Coat Tungsten. It looks like it has a bit of texture and matches perfectly. Sprayed it over Grey Plasti Dip first.

27B9F4FA-FD94-49C9-992F-521F8E2AC5A1.jpeg
Has anyone replaced the U bolt with a single hex bolt and placed extra large washers by frame?
Thanks

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Has anyone replaced the U bolt with a single hex bolt and placed extra large washers by frame?
Thanks
I admit when I first installed it I was skeptical about that U-Bolt. I think that's honestly the only negative about these. They should have thought that out better but honestly I have had ZERO issues with it and no noise whatsoever on mine. I really like that and for what I needed them for they are great.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Installed mine in an afternoon. I realized that you can slip them in on an angle around the body mounts so you dont have to even touch those.

No squeaking on mine and i was well aware of the potential when i bought them.

Mine are getting scraped up from rocks on the trail. Just scratches. No dents or anything. I actually put my big floor jack under it to try it out and no issues. Jeep went right up. No affect on the rails. Though i only tried it out. I wouldnt recommend that as a jacking point

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Also, i checked everywhere that sells these. Even with forum discounts it was still cheapest at Jegs, even though charge for s/h and oversize fee. And arrived FAST

Sponsored

xylodan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Installed mine in an afternoon. I realized that you can slip them in on an angle around the body mounts so you dont have to even touch those.
That was some really valuable info. Thanks!
I put mine on tonight and didn't have a wrench with a long enough to get the leverage I needed to free up that bolt. Came to this forum and saw your post which saved me a trip to the store.

Hopefully mine don't squeak like others.

xylodan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
I had creaking for a while too. My neighbor who is a fellow Jeeper helped me take pretty much all of the hardware off the passenger side and start over. The Jeep had actually started to eat one of the washers because it was so small compared to the oval hole. We put fender washers on those. That movement had caused bad things to happen on the U bolt, so we had to spacer it out. Thankfully I didn't break anything. My creaking is gone though!

I dipped my pinch seams using Rustoleum Peel Coat Tungsten. It looks like it has a bit of texture and matches perfectly. Sprayed it over Grey Plasti Dip first.

27B9F4FA-FD94-49C9-992F-521F8E2AC5A1.jpeg
Nice job on the pinch seems. The OCD in me makes me a little sad about mine...
Still, pretty cool rails and not a terribly difficult install once I learned I didn't really need to undo that body/frame bolt.

e487692a-1470-bd55-74e4-92729c49d978.jpg

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

the Smittybilt steps are almost identical and come with a nice black cover for the pinch seam. with my jeep's color its not very obvious but i still wanted to get a pair to cover that spot up. maybe they will sell just those covers..

ive had my westin tubes on for a couple of years now. ive beat on them, slid on them, gouged them and jacked the jeep up with them. i have zero creaking issues with mine. im wondering if it might be from someone tightening one bolt all the way, then the next, then the next, etc... i snug them each then go back and tighten them up. that's the only thing i can think of as to why they would creak. they are super solid tubes. i cant foresee any bending metal or cracking welds.

xylodan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
the Smittybilt steps are almost identical and come with a nice black cover for the pinch seam. with my jeep's color its not very obvious but i still wanted to get a pair to cover that spot up. maybe they will sell just those covers..

ive had my westin tubes on for a couple of years now. ive beat on them, slid on them, gouged them and jacked the jeep up with them. i have zero creaking issues with mine. im wondering if it might be from someone tightening one bolt all the way, then the next, then the next, etc... i snug them each then go back and tighten them up. that's the only thing i can think of as to why they would creak. they are super solid tubes. i cant foresee any bending metal or cracking welds.
Thanks for the idea and google search inspiration.
I found these: https://www.extremeterrain.com/hamm...nch-weld-cover-600-56-0759-jeep-wrangler.html

Should do the trick. Hopefully I can install without removing the Westin rails. We’ll see.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Sponsored

xylodan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Just want to report that there was squeaking noise like others have reported.
Not sure what that was all about for them. Hopefully it stays that way.

eba21503-57e9-15b4-3e76-b20184ebc668.jpg

MikeM

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I just installed these and also had the creaking on the passenger side rear. What I found was the edge of the large washer on the body mount bolt was rubbing against the rock rail mounting bracket. The solution was to loosen all the bolts and jerk the rail away from the vehicle. This moved the rail over and created space between edge of the washer and bracket. This is working for me. If I have to revisit this I will grind a flat spot on the side of the washer to create a little more space.

washer 1.jpg

washer 2.jpg

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
I put mine on in July of last year. With a 3.5" lift, a vertically challenged Mrs. and wanting some body protection I needed some steps and rock rails that mounted to the frame vs. the body. Having this combination in one product worked great for me.

No squeaking issues here because I made sure nothing that mounted to anything else was in contact where it shouldn't be.

Jeep Wrangler JL Westin Triple Tube Rock Rails Jack Mount 01
Sponsored