Sponsored

Went to Car Max to see what they value my JLUR at...

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
The last week or so has been pretty brutal on Tesla share holders, huh?

Last I looked TSLA was the top holding of the Vanguard Extended Stock Market Index Fund, which I do own in my 401(k).
That's purpose of diversification , I guess . In the WSJ they say Tesla is delaying payments to some vendors . I have heard on the radio that there are a lot of 'for-sale-by-owner' which don't re-sell well . (It would be interesting to know if normal-brand dealers take them in on trade.) Also , I never see any public re-chargers , so they must re-charge at home . But a long trip is far from home , right ? Plus I don't buy into the unreliable tech stuff . So , all-in-all , I don't buy into their tax-subsidized shtick . And they have had some spectacular crashes in the news .

By the way , when I see a tow truck driver at a gas station , I try to ask which vehicles does he tow away the most ? Frequently they say the BMWs and/or Mercedes , because of the electronics not working properly .

My problem with the Tesla owners is Cali offers a lot of extra tax incentives to the owners , and there are a bunch of owners in my area , and they drive them too fast ; like they own the roads or something . (The BMW drivers drive the same way .)

They sure throw away their money when they could have a regular JK .

Last edited:

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I believe that rumor re: delaying payments was proven to be untrue (and clarified as such by vendors themselves). And yes, normal dealers will take them in on trade, even CarMax now (they didn't used to). Public chargers are common, but certainly not as prevalent as gas stations. That said, if you are in a congested area of California you should not have a problem finding a charging station. But yes, many people leave them on chargers at night to take advantage of cheaper electricity rates. Range anxiety should be far less of a concern these days than it was five years ago. However, I probably wouldn't choose to use one for a ridiculously long road trip just from a convenience stand point. Many of the 'crashes' I think were related to auto pilot use or their automatic emergency braking system not reacting fast enough. I.e., if the Tesla is following a vehicle, and the vehicle changes lanes last minute and there is a parked car in front of the car it was following that now has exited the lane -- it will never pass that test.

Buying a Tesla has never been about saving money though.... I haven't talked to a single person who had that motivation when buying one. They just wanted something new and cool and were willing to pay for it. Nothing to do with environment, cost of gas, etc.

If you visit the tesla owner forums, many people discuss the quality control issues, how buying CPO makes nearly zero sense in most situations lately, etc.

Mixed bag I think. If I had a long commute every day and was in the market, I would consider one for the HOV access and auto pilot alone. That said, I'd be afraid of an accident and that my car would end up in a body shop parking lot with magic marker written on it tracking how many parts they're waiting on Tesla for. People have had to buy second vehicles while waiting repairs because theirs was taking so long to be fixed (many months).

Overall, they need to get past these growing pains, or other manufacturers will catch up and send them under. Fun swing trade though.

Greenjeepthing

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport Mojito
Occupation
Retired Automotive Service Manager
Went to local carmax to see what they value my JLUR at out of curiousity.

I have 5k miles. It's a white unlimited rubicon. I have the automatic with nearly every option except painted fenders, towing package, and the aux power package. (but I have everything else from the keyless entry/start to the upgraded touchscreen and sound system)

$38k.

I laughed and left. The cheapest JLUR on auto trader was like $46k and it had no options. My window sticker was $52k when I bought it a few months ago.

I guess I'll go private party if I sell! Thought you guys might find that intersting. Carmax is generally known for giving decent prices but not for my JL!
Keep in mind...they have to turn it around and make $$. So they are offering you wholesale. They clean it...prep it... They most likely would like to make $4,000 to $5,000 on it. Figure 38k plus 5K mark up....I would rather just get a brand new one (albeit fewer options).
If FCA keeps jacking the price up on JL a few years from now that $38K may still be there.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
People seem to forget that dealers are in the business to make money. smh
Sponsored