Went to 37's and now have a bad wobble?

Hale2016

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I converted the wifes mall crawler over to my daily driver last week and now have a terrible wobble between 40-45 mph. I took off the 22x12 wheels and put on a set of KMC Machete beadlocks 17x9 with 37x12.50 BFG KO2 tires. My Jeep is a 2021 Rubicon with the Mopar lift and Clayton adjustable lower control arms and onlt 10,500 miles on it. On my initial test drive the wobble wasn't to bad at 36 psi in the tires but now I've dropped to 32 psi and it's horrible. I did just recently check all of the torque settings on all the suspension components and everything was good. I am assuming maybe it's something alignment related but not certain. Any suggestions on why this would just start happening with the new tire wheel combo?
Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
If all you changed were tires and wheels, then I'd start with getting them rebalanced and checking ball joints.

The stock ball joints can wear out very quickly. The 37's and beadlocks might be exposing the worn out ball joints. You didn't say what size tires were on there previously, but 22" wheels and tires are heavier than stock and could've accelerated the wear to your stock parts.

After that, I'd ensure all of the tie rod ends are in good shape, especially if you're still using the stock tie rod and drag link. A heavy wheel and tire combo can expose the weakness of stock and/or worn out parts. Unfortunately, when you step up into this realm, its a domino effect, and you'll need to upgrade those weaker systems.

OP
OP
Hale2016

Hale2016

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The previous tires were 325/50 measuring 34.25 tall. The new BFG's are measuring right at 35.75. I do have a Clayton track bar I forgot to mention, and a Fox through shaft steering stabilizer. The wobble started instantly after installing the new wheels and tires so I fully agree with @limeade the tire balancing may be the suspect. I had a local shop spin balance them dor me and I was not impressed with thier work at all. I am hoping to get an appointment with a shop 30 minutes away to road force balance them this week. Dropping the air pressure 4lbs made the wobble extremely worse so that makes me think the tires are out of balance as well.

OP
OP
Hale2016

Hale2016

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had the tires rebalanced at a reputable shop this morning and it seems to have solved my issues so far. The previous shop that balanced them tried to tell me all of the tires were bad and it took from 13-18 ounces to balance them. Today at the new shop 4 out of 5 of them balanced from 2 ounces best one and 5 ounces worst one. The 5th one (now the spare) did take 8 ounces and the shop said that's still not bad for a 37'' tire. I may take it to a road force balancer and see if it can be improved on before rotating it into driving with it.

Next I need to get this thing back in the alignemnt shop and double check everything after 10k miles of driving it with the huge 22's.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Glad it was just a bad balancing job. I prefer getting tires road force balanced.

Sponsored

JeepinPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR, '95 Land Cruiser
Once upon a time, I had a set of tires installed on an old Durango. Left the shop and it was shaking like crazy. Next day took it back and had them rebalance the tires. Still shaking. Next night, stopped by again and had them try one more time.

I watched the tech do the work, and on a hunch asked him to take the tire off of the balancer then put it back on. Sure enough the balancer reported numbers completely different than the prior time.

Called the manager of the shop back to see what was going on. He stated that corporate would not approve the purchase of new machines and that his were simply worn out. He gave me my money back and I took it to a different shop. They got it right first time.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Remember too that new wheels CAN be screwed up as delivered- just went through this with two NEW wheels on my wife’s VW. Potholes had dinked a couple rims-not terrible, but some vibration. Ordered two brand new replacement wheels (same exact wheel as on the car). Had them mounted and the would not balance out. One needed SIX ounces on the Outside flange, the other was off centered so bad it wouldn’t even befing to come together. Had to send them back for two more. An awful lot of aftermarket wheels are quality products from the worker’s paradise😏

Jhawth

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Check your ball joints too, specifically your lower ball joints, they might be a little loose.

OP
OP
Hale2016

Hale2016

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Every part of the front suspension is tight. I have driven it about 90 miles since the rebalance and so far it's fine.
Sponsored