Sponsored

Went 4.56 but should I have gone with 4.10 gears?

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Your numbers look great. For my 6 speed with 37s and 5.13s we’re at 2500 at 70 for reference.

Brett
Sponsored

BenJeepin7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU
$1,850 parts and labor (Yukon gears)
I’m about a year late to the thread but did you also need a larger front carrier for the front gears? Read something like that on a set from quadratec.

Mudduck

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4door
I’m about a year late to the thread but did you also need a larger front carrier for the front gears? Read something like that on a set from quadratec.
No, the stock one is fine.

Stinger22

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Sport S
Not trying to hijack this thread, but my questions are directly related to this topic...

I had a 2019 JLU Sport S. I put a 2.5" lift and 33's on it (90% road use at the time), and I loved the way it looked/performed/handled.

I now have a 2022 JLU Sport S, and it's time to set it up. To be completely realistic, this Jeep will probably be used mostly on the road (it's also my daily), with an occasional mild off-road run. Never any rock crawling, etc. I have a 2.5" lift 17" wheels and I"m about to pick some tires, but I'm just wanting to be sure I've looked at all the right options for me before pulling the trigger. I don't have unlimited funds, so I want to do this right the first time.

IF I went with 35's (or 34's, or anything over 33's), I'm thinking I'd want to re-gear. Not for crawling, but for pep. I'm not obsessed with gas mileage, but don't want it to be ridiculous either. So where is the sweet spot for this application, as far as gears? I'm thinking I don't need 4.88's. Maybe 4.56?

Sponsored

falcon241073

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Not trying to hijack this thread, but my questions are directly related to this topic...

I had a 2019 JLU Sport S. I put a 2.5" lift and 33's on it (90% road use at the time), and I loved the way it looked/performed/handled.

I now have a 2022 JLU Sport S, and it's time to set it up. To be completely realistic, this Jeep will probably be used mostly on the road (it's also my daily), with an occasional mild off-road run. Never any rock crawling, etc. I have a 2.5" lift 17" wheels and I"m about to pick some tires, but I'm just wanting to be sure I've looked at all the right options for me before pulling the trigger. I don't have unlimited funds, so I want to do this right the first time.

IF I went with 35's (or 34's, or anything over 33's), I'm thinking I'd want to re-gear. Not for crawling, but for pep. I'm not obsessed with gas mileage, but don't want it to be ridiculous either. So where is the sweet spot for this application, as far as gears? I'm thinking I don't need 4.88's. Maybe 4.56?
If you never go over 35” tires then all you need is the 4.56 gears. And those will work decent with 37” tires, if you go there later down the road.

Stinger22

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Sport S
If you never go over 35” tires then all you need is the 4.56 gears. And those will work decent with 37” tires, if you go there later down the road.

That's what I was thinking. I'll never go more than 35" tires.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase

BFG makes a 34" KO2 if you have trouble deciding between a 33 and 35. Just another option to muddy the water, Lol!

scottijohn63

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser, Corvette Z06 Convertible

I have a Sahara 2.0 8 speed auto. I have the 2.5“ Mopar lift, 17 in wheels and 35 Tires. I went with 4.88. I love this combo. Feels like I have more power than stock. Super fun to drive. Gas milage was not a factor in my choice! I would drive a different vehicle if it was!

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
@Stinger22 It's not just gas mileage. When you're "over-geared" highway trips are less enjoyable because the engine's noisier running at higher RPM.

According to http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

If you get the 4.56 gears and run 315/70R17 tires (a 35" equivalent) you'll be running around 2100rpms at 70mph, which is about perfect.

EDIT: I also direct you to this thread in particular, which seems to match your situation
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/first-impressions-3-45-to-4-56-gears.55913/

Sponsored

Stinger22

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Sport S
@Stinger22 It's not just gas mileage. When you're "over-geared" highway trips are less enjoyable because the engine's noisier running at higher RPM.

According to http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

If you get the 4.56 gears and run 315/70R17 tires (a 35" equivalent) you'll be running around 2100rpms at 70mph, which is about perfect.

EDIT: I also direct you to this thread in particular, which seems to match your situation
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/first-impressions-3-45-to-4-56-gears.55913/
Thank you. Yes exactly. I’m not only concerned with gas mileage, but overall performance on and off road. I think 4.56 is my solution for 35’s.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase

What engine do you have? That is what I would use to be the determining factor when running 35's:

2.0T = 4.56
3.6L = 4.88

In my time here and online I have never seen anyone say they wish they had geared higher (lower numerical value), only they wish the had geared lower (higher numerical value).

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I've got 35's 4.56 with the manual. It's just right, for me. But if I thought there was even a 1% chance I'd go to 37's, I'd have gone with 4.88.

I pulled my boat yesterday for the first significant drive with 4.56 and it performed beautifully. I was able to run 6th gear at 70mph and hold speed with no problem. Without the boat I can pass in 6th, even at only 60mph. I'd bet the auto would handle it even better.

But it's pretty subjective. For me, it wasn't terrible with 4.10 gears. But I couldn't run 6th gear as much as I wanted.

I'm sure I'd have been very happy with 4.88's, too.

I just did a trip to Florida and back, loaded with boys and gear, and it cruised at 80 in 6th like a dream without so much rpm as to drone or be buzzy.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
We lived with the stock 4.10's for 3 years, 2 of those on 37's. Not sluggish with the 2.0t, especially after adding the superchips 93 octane tune. At that point it was every bit as quick as the stock setup. We then went to 38x13.50's. Driving on and off road was fine. Crawling with the 4-1 transfer case was excellent. Reverse was the only real issue in 2wd or 4hi. Several times the engine wanted to bog down in reverse under heavy load (deep mud, sand, or snow). 4LO worked fine, but I didn't want to be in low range in any of those instances. 5.38's went in about a month ago. This thing is a rocket now. 6 second 0-60 on heavy 38's, winch, armor, 4.5" lift, loaded with tools, recovery gear, etc. Over geared? A bit. 4.88's would have been closer to factory, but with the double Overdrive in the JLs you can gear as low as you want and still roll 85mph down the freeway. At that speed it was mostly in 7th gear on 4.10's and 37's turning ~2650 rpm. Now it will hold 8th at 85 and it's ~2700 rpm. We lost 1.5-2 mpg across the board, but 102-1 crawl ratio and a full second quicker to 60mph is worth every penny.
Sponsored