First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger
Yeah, I got a Like on my YouTube comment and I was floored. They actually read that stuff!

I like to tell myself it was Brittany who like the comment:muscle:...but it was probably Kevin.:CWL:
You can tell. Kevin will comment or like and if you get a heart that's Brittany. I hope it's Brittany but Kevin got that cute boyish smile.
Sponsored

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
if it was me I would go for reliability, and torque for what you two do and your style of wheeling. I think that would be your best bet.

2 options would be the 5.7 motor or perhaps the deisel and New rubi?

I am out alone casue of my work so self sufficient is what I want & no worries.

I have never relly liked the idea of a turbo off road.

Plus in all honesty a factory power plant is usually pretty darned good. They are designed to communicate well from the git go. trans ratios, rear ends, transfer cases, computers etc.

jimlove9771

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Retird
video is on YouTube

Well we had a good run with the turbo.... sort of. Now what should we do? Go back to stock and reliable? Go LS3 or maybe an SRT 6.4L hemi?
I blew my engine also with the turbo but it was absolutely my fault. I put a boost controller in line and unintentionally turned it wide open instead of completely off. When I did that the boost went off scale to over 28psi! That was the end of that.

I have since replaced the engine with one tha had only 125 miles on it. I have returned to the turbo charged situation and have had no trouble since then. I am still getting 350 RWHP and can make 0-60 in under 5 sec. that’s partly due to the gearing of 5.18. Any way the total cost was just under $6000 which I think is rather good. Best of luck to whatever you decide!

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I see your point. It's a good point.

Sounds like they were "working on it" and trying to make it work the whole time they had it. I will assume they were trying to get a good tune, and once they did they would do a video on the process.

Once they replace that 3.6 with a Hemi, maybe they will be more transparent about the process, and clear on any issues.

However since they are out on the bleeding edge of innovation in Jeep JL mods, they probably will need to moderate the transparency to ensure they are not the problem.

I suppose it is a balancing act...perhaps that was part of your point!
A couple things...

1) Kevin is no newb when it comes to turbos and tuning. That's clear. He's been known in the car mod circles for many years. Jeeps are just a new thing for them. He was well on top of the issues as evidenced in that video with the rocket fuel concentrate he was carrying to solve the issue. He knew it was detonation and only way to solve it on the go was to raise the octane significantly.

2) Somewhere it was mentioned they tried numerous tuners and nobody could get it sorted over the past 2 months.

3) They ended pulling out a bunch of timing to get the jeep moving cross country.

So they put much more effort into it than most people could and would to get it sorted.

And it seems what broke the relationship was the lack of support when they were stranded on a Saturday going cross country. If I was Kev nursing this crap along and had the vendor pull that when down and stranded it would be enough to cause me to decide to move along as well.

Notice Prodigy is silent on these threads? I take that as admission of guilt.

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
You can tell. Kevin will comment or like and if you get a heart that's Brittany. I hope it's Brittany but Kevin got that cute boyish smile.
Well...I got a heart, so...I've got that going for me...which is nice..

Sponsored

Ryno458

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU “Vader”
Vehicle Showcase
I personally would go reliable. Looking at the whole picture and taking into account the highway miles I personally wouldn’t want to jeopardize my ability to get to where I needed to get to.

jeepdogjl

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I would go with the LS3. It is lighter and more compact. Both engines are powerful, but you get more bang for the buck with the LS3. There is a lot more aftermarket support for the LS3 parts are more readily available and cheaper to buy. I also believe that the LS3 is more reliable it is not uncommon for LS motors to go 200 to 300 thousand miles. Or you could go with a LT motor did your Corvette have a LS or a LT?

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Sorry to hear it when good folks have a bad experience. It has been my experience, aftermarket accessories don't always perform as expected. I had a modification that wasn't working out very well. I was in the NAPA parking lot with the hood up in Moab during '19 EJS. Thousands of Jeeps parading up and down Main st. and out of the blue a voice from behind me asks if he can help. Yep, it was Kevin & Brittney. This old fart will always remember their offering.

Last edited:

Sponsored

azrubi

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
video is on YouTube
Well, no S**t

Well we had a good run with the turbo.... sort of. Now what should we do? Go back to stock and reliable? Go LS3 or maybe an SRT 6.4L hemi?

xtopherm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HellaYella 2019 JLUR
I vote Hemi
Lots of people are interested in the hemi swap, and they definitely fit in a JL, but one thing people might want to consider is that they leave absolutely no room for an energy absorbing crumple zone in the event of an accident. I've seen a video with a representative from Jeep talking about how they will never offer it in the JL Wrangler even though it fits because it would never pass crash tests (cannot find video link at the moment). Of course, on the trail, crumple zones and having the engine forced to submarine under the passenger compartment don't matter much if at all (certainly less than a good roll cage), but @Kevin8086 and Brittany do an awful lot of high speed highway miles, with a heavily loaded Jeep and trailer. That's a lot of energy being forced into the cockpit if some dumbass drunk drifts over the yellow line and there is a head-on collision. I personally would weigh that safety issue in my mind a bit. Selfishly, I hope to see Kevin & Britanny live to post lots more great videos...

xtopherm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HellaYella 2019 JLUR
We plan on doing that with a gladiator. The JL is going to get a 6.5 hemi and 60s for the really hard stuff and because I’ve never had anything this built. The gladiator will be simple mods and wheel that as well
And presumably you will tow the Wrangler with the Gladiator?

Kidder212

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0L turbo
Lots of people are interested in the hemi swap, and they definitely fit in a JL, but one thing people might want to consider is that they leave absolutely no room for an energy absorbing crumple zone in the event of an accident. I've seen a video with a representative from Jeep talking about how they will never offer it in the JL Wrangler even though it fits because it would never pass crash tests (cannot find video link at the moment). Of course, on the trail, crumple zones and having the engine forced to submarine under the passenger compartment don't matter much if at all (certainly less than a good roll cage), but @Kevin8086 and Brittany do an awful lot of high speed highway miles, with a heavily loaded Jeep and trailer. That's a lot of energy being forced into the cockpit if some dumbass drunk drifts over the yellow line and there is a head-on collision. I personally would weigh that safety issue in my mind a bit. Selfishly, I hope to see Kevin & Britanny live to post lots more great videos...
Well let’s face the real facts that if safety was our concern, we would have gone out and bought a Volvo. I was thinking that a vehicle with removable doors an either a fabric of a very light weight fiberglass top like a Jeep Wrangler, just is not going to be very safe anyway.

OffroadTreks

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU 2.0TE
Vehicle Showcase
LOLOLOL

The Jeep can barely pass a crash tests as it is. This is hilariously amusing.
Sponsored