Kevin8086

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
video is on YouTube

Well we had a good run with the turbo.... sort of. Now what should we do? Go back to stock and reliable? Go LS3 or maybe an SRT 6.4L hemi?
Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Damn Kevin. Sorry about that.

LS.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Sorry to hear of your challenges. I personally think the compression ratio is just too high on the factory 3.6L to be reliable with any amount of boost. It used to be anything over 10:1 was questionable; even with really good engine management.

I'd go for a 5.7L Hemi. With 380 Hp and 400 trq it's a bombproof beast that should bring you the reliability your lifestyle needs. And still more power then what you have now :rock:

Good luck.

Last edited:

Sponsored

StammesOpfer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Punk'n 2.0 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Hellephant! But more realistically probably a Hemi. Plenty of experience out there on the swaps. It gives you power to tow and wheel while still being reliable and parts are available everywhere if you do run into problems somewhere in your travels.

Of course this is coming from a guy who ordered a 4cyl so what do I know.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
that sucks! have you thought about waiting for something like the Edelbrock supercharger kit to come out for the 3.6? I like the thought of a LS3 or Hemi, but then you run the risk of blowing the trans or other driveline parts. I know there are different versions of the 8 speed so maybe it will hold up, but at this point I'm sure you guys want reliable.

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
392 hemi and get a Dana 60 for your rear end.

If sticking with Dana 44 go with the 5.7 hemi. 5.7 hemi wakes up very well with legmaker intake and custom tune, change to long or short tubes depending on your preference. However your still going to have a slight detonation issue if your using a 93 tune for best performance with 91 gas in Colorado. Ran into this on my challenger rt when I moved here had to drop to a 91 tune.

Sponsored

303rider

First Name
Soleil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Stupid question. I have the 3.6l and I live in Denver. I usually use 87 because it is the mid grade and it is a Jeep not our luxury car.

Should I be worried with a NON turbo 3.6L using 87?

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
Stupid question. I have the 3.6l and I live in Denver. I usually use 87 because it is the mid grade and it is a Jeep not our luxury car.

No.

JeepTime

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon

I'm sure this will spark a debate. But I like doing what the books say, and I like backing my responses when possible with references, so..... According to the owners manual for the 2019 wrangler unlimited (Section 8, Pg. 538 "technical specifications") Under "Fuel Requirements" it says for the 3.6L:

"This engine is designed to meet all emissions regulations and provide satisfactory fuel economy and performance when using high-quality unleaded “Regular” gasoline having an octane rating of 87 as specified by the (R+M)/2method. The use of higher octane “Premium” gasoline will not provide any benefit over “Regular” gasoline in these engines."

So no, there is nothing to be worried about, as that's what the manual actually says to use.

**i should add that’s if your vehicle is stock engine wise! Any mods to the engine and that changes everything as they talk about in this most recent video!

Last edited:

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
So will I be seeing you on the Rubicon trail this July 26th with a hemi?
:like:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly the mods detract from what you two do. In my wildest dreams you would move to rocking a stock sport just to show us how to wheel the s#@% out of it.
I agree with this! The stuff you two were doing with your Jeep when it was not so heavily modified was amazing. As the heavy mods come, you have to find harder and harder terrain that almost none of us will every be able to tackle. When the rocks become almost cliffs, it really ceases to become a trail. Your Jeep did amazing things when all you had was bigger tires on it.

Of course, it is all about fun, so do whatever you think is fun and we'll still get a big kick out of watching!
Sponsored