Sponsored

Well RIP chances of Ecodiesel Wrangler.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Nope, you can Kiss Them Goodbye.
I'm hoping for an all Electric Wrangler, there's torque ! Military is developing this, looking forward to trickle-down to us.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Aaaaaand just like that I'm out again.

DarthMall

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4runner 4x4, Mazda B2500
Vehicle Showcase
Even though I won't be getting one because I plan to buy a JLU at launch,I feel bad for the people waiting on the JL for the diesel option. Looks like they will be waiting even longer than expected. I think this news might change a few peoples minds on waiting for the diesel.

Sponsored

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
Peace to everyone on the board. Its been swell.

Buying an S350 Bluetec next.
No JLU.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
I never planned on one because diesel doesn't like being left unattended in extreme cold, but for a vast number of people this was the most anticipated update for the JL ahead pf the new transmissions.

I think the impact on the JT will potentially be the largest, and likely change a lot of the thinking from timelines to anticipated sales figures, it might also give FCA a reason to push out an extra month or so of JKs while waiting to see the outcome of this is it looks promising. And realistically the EcoDiesel is still viable, it just has this boat anchor holding it back, even though there is a software fix for it unlike the VWs.

The only hopefully positive thing is that the need for torque in the JT will move other possible options, like the ForcedAir Pentastars or i6, or even Hybrids into the market sooner (as a Plan B).

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
The only hopefully positive thing is that the need for torque in the JT will move other possible options, like the ForcedAir Pentastars or i6, or even Hybrids into the market sooner (as a Plan B).
Those are still VERY long development programs. Hybrid is further along than a forced induction Pentastar, so maybe they can expedite that program.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Its weird .... as this article was posted earlier:

http://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fca...on-diesel-wrangler-prospects-hang-in-balance/

It seems the engine is being recertified by the EPA, but the justice dept is escalating it. I don't think this will kill the diesel, as if the recertification process goes through then there shouldn't be any issues for new vehicles. It will be an issue for previously sold vehicles along with a fine. Hell look at VW, they are selling diesels again

peterjford

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1943 Ford GPW (needs restoration), 1988 Jeep YJ (needs engine), 1999 Jeep XJ (Purple Is The New Chrome), 2007 Chevrolet Suburban (Mom's kid hauler)
Vehicle Showcase
I sold back my Jetta TDI to Volkswagen. It was the best daily driver I have ever owned. I love my XJ and YJ, but they are not good daily drivers. I really was hoping to get a JT with a diesel, and resist the urges to lift/armor/gear it for off-road so I could once again have a diesel daily driver, but that is looking doubtful now.

Sponsored

JJ75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
Its weird .... as this article was posted earlier:

http://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fca...on-diesel-wrangler-prospects-hang-in-balance/

It seems the engine is being recertified by the EPA, but the justice dept is escalating it. I don't think this will kill the diesel, as if the recertification process goes through then there shouldn't be any issues for new vehicles. It will be an issue for previously sold vehicles along with a fine. Hell look at VW, they are selling diesels again
Right! This lawsuit is to fine FCA for all past violations. Even if it's successful, it wouldn't prevent the eco diesel from being certified properly and sold in the future, as long as FCA's fix satisfies the EPA for recertification. So I don't think this kills the diesel Wrangler.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Aaaaand I'm back in again...

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
I was literally about to give up hope in a Diesel and start hoping for a full electric eco-wrangler with >250lbs/ft torque an "aluminum air" battery....

But just when I thought I was out.....

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Now GM is under fire for their Diesels, I "think" that Niche is fading for Passenger Vehicles. Electric would give the Torque, Batteries are key, as off road will take a LOT of Juice.
Competition is really heating up on all- electric, I'm hoping for this to arrive in next 5 years, or Sooner

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
This won't stop the JL Diesel. Development is still under way. They'll just be darned careful about certification. As for me, I'd love the diesel, except I don't think it will be offered with the manual transmission, which I'm planning on having.
Sponsored