Well maintained JK or new JL

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
We've owned several Jeeps over the years and the JLU is absolutely the best (for us!). What we love; doors that act like doors, the 8 speed automatic, the information available in the instrument panel and entertainment center, ability to add 33's to a Sport S with no modifications (love the Rubi takeoffs!!), etc.
The JK is really good, the JL is really better. :jk:
Well said.

There are so many small improvements on the JL that you’ll only really be able to appreciate after you’ve owned it, things that if you bought a JK would be lost on you.

A simple thing like a back up camera. Even the armrest on the doors is more comfortable. The dash read outs are far more informative. Side airbags are standard! No “Jeep” logo on the grille. Rear license plate in the bumper. 3 more gears in the automatic, painted roll bars look better, slightly longer wheelbase for drive quality, ESS is controversial, and rightfully so, but something I view as an improvement for my driving needs, and the safari position for soft top owners is what may have sealed the deal for my wife and I. As you can see the list of small improvements is long, and other owners here could easily add even more.
Sponsored

thefrog

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6 speed manual
Because the gearing in the new manual is horrible.
Well, that's quite a subjective opinion. I think once you understand and learn where the power band is (like you should any new manual-equipped vehicle) it is absolutely an excellent transmission/engine pairing - IMO of course... I really do like it a lot. Change does not always = "Bad" necessarily.

Hagie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S Sting Grey, 2006 Scion xB RS4.0, 2013 Scion xB RS9.0
The price of used JKs pushed me towards interest in a JL.

Would rather have more options, new warranty, and all around new vehicle, than pay nearly the same price for something with over 20k miles on it.

CNY-JLUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
JLs aren't that much more, as you noted. For that additional costs you are buying all the improvements of the JL over the JK. And I think the JL is going to make the JK look old in a short amount of time.

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I was thinking 3-4 years down the road when we got our JLUR would the JK hold as much value as the JL? I am not being a smart a$$ that is a genuine question to the long time Jeepers, my old sold :headbang: CJ5 I don't think counts for a good comparison.

We love the JL rides great drives great Rubi on 35's feels like a stock vehicle. My wife has back issues and we drove a used JK on 35's last year she said absolutely not to a Jeep after the JL test she was ready to sign!!

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I agree with you 100% @fdisker2000!

I owned (outright) a 2015 JKU and traded it in to purchase my new 2018 JLUR. The JL is a completely different vehicle from the JK. I to believe that the JL is hands down a much better Jeep. Ride quality between the two models is night and day. I could not be happier with my decision to purchase the JL.

@RussJeep1, as far as Jeeps holding their value, the dealership I purchased my JL from gave me gave me what I paid for my 2015 JK on the trade-in. I was very surprised they offered me full price - minus the $4K I spent on the mods for my JK.

@phatjoe is correct. My JK was manual and my JL is manual. I definitely prefer the JL. Much shorter shifts and much better clutch engagement with the JL.

I hear you @ring_zero on the even exchange. While that's great to hear, it's also true that the mild degrees of inflation from the past 3 years suggest you did get slightly less, in "real dollars" than what you paid for it, nor the expectation that the gap between the two rigs will still rise as the JL goes up in price. But true, the inflation factor is splitting hairs somewhat. Thanks for your input.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I was in the same boat, but I was trying to find a used JK Rubicon for my wife rather than a new JL Sport. All the Rubicon's that were anywhere near the price we paid for the Sport were in fairly poor condition with 70k+ miles.
I've personally owned four JK's and now my wife and I have JL's. The JL may have bugs, but I could not go back to a JK after owning the JL(Even my wife's base sport.) We have 6spd's, and the transmission alone is worth the upgrade.....

I work on a lot of both, and while the JK still has a place in my heart it feels so primitive/cheap every time I get in one.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
Well, that's quite a subjective opinion. I think once you understand and learn where the power band is (like you should any new manual-equipped vehicle) it is absolutely an excellent transmission/engine pairing - IMO of course... I really do like it a lot. Change does not always = "Bad" necessarily.
You do need to keep it above 2k RPM, or the bad OEM tune begins to reveal itself. The problem is the 4th-6th gears alongside lack of torque and with a poorly written OEM tune. The three causes at times poor driveability issues.

Muzzle of Bees

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TEP
This is a JL site. Guess what people are going to tell you? I had plenty of brand new JLs to choose from when I bought my JL.

There are some trolls here that will show up from time to time, though. Be prepared to hear about iffy welds and vague steering.
The "iffy" welds are very obvious. I have 0 experience with the vague steering. The welds on my Toyota are much better than the crap that is passing an FCA inspection.
Sponsored