Sponsored

Well, I was going to buy an AEV DualSport RT Suspension yesterday...

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Gotcha. I see now what you mean. I wonder if TF, or anyone for that matter, will make one for the JL. But I guess at $200 you might want to just add in some for a new DS.
Yeah. I used Oliver’s out of Winston Salem. Looks like they are still under $500 for a custom 1310.

OP
OP
cosmokenney

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
Good grief. I was all set on Dynatrac Endurosport but now I’m second guessing that.
After seeing the TrailRecon review I was all set to buy the Dynatrac too. But they don't offer that for the 2 door.

Last edited:

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
AEV stuff is overpriced and over-hyped by people who just don’t really know any better. It really sounds like you are a prime candidate for a spacer lift (not something I usually recommend). Otherwise for a bit more you can get entry-level options from Clayton, Metalcloak, or Rock Krawler. All of which are far superior on and off-road to anything AEV builds. And yes, forcing you to buy their garbage programmer when you buy a lift is a joke.

Last edited:

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
The problem with the Clayton offerings is I'll have to do a bunch of guesswork on which shocks to buy? Does it come with everything I need for a decent lift? Will I find out after I install everything that I should have bought their bump stops? Will I find out I should have also purchased LCAs? And by the time you add a new drive shaft and shocks, that's easily a $3000 lift kit -- unless you cheap out on the shocks.
For the above reasons I may just go with the Mopar. I just want to install it and forget about it. I don't want to have to keep wrenching to get rid of death wobble, keep adding parts to get the alignment right...
Whatever you do, don’t get the Mopar lift. If price is really your deciding factor look at Rock Krawler’s entry level kits. Only slightly more than Mopar and worlds better.

OP
OP
cosmokenney

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
Whatever you do, don’t get the Mopar lift. If price is really your deciding factor look at Rock Krawler’s entry level kits. Only slightly more than Mopar and worlds better.
That RK does look good. $2K with their base shocks. $2600 with the high end shocks. For the money, though they could have included adjustable LCAs, I think.

I am also looking at the Rancho kit with the adjustable shocks. I kind of like the idea of being able to soften up the ride for off road. Then dialing it back to on road settings after the day is done.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Thanks again for participating. In some of my above posts I think I misstated some things. All the brands are starting to blur together.
I was seriously considering Metalcloak since they are 1 hour drive from me and I could pick up the kit to avoid shipping charges. But they are the ones that keep trying to sell a driveshaft and I don't even know why.

I want to go with close to a 2" lift for my 2 door Rubicon (3.6L). +/- a half inch in either direction won't bother me at all. I want to run 37" tires (most likely 2nd gen Patagonia or Geolandar MT -- so close to true 37" as they come) on the stock Rubicon rims.
Do you offer a complete package with everything I need to install it and forget? Or, with the above requirements, do I need a new driveshaft or not? What length shocks do I need? Do I need bump stops or not? I don't know the answers to any of those questions. And that's why I keep searching for a complete package.
Have you called Metalcloak and talked to them about your needs?

OP
OP
cosmokenney

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
Have you called Metalcloak and talked to them about your needs?
Metalcloak is, I think, out of my price range.
I mean I have no idea if I need a new drive shaft with any of their lifts. So I don't want to get into a situation where they are just trying to sell me something because they know I have no clue if they are being truthful or not. Not saying that will happen, but I have no past experience with them. This is one reason I just want a complete turn-key system. But no one offers that. Many say their kit is complete but then you find out that you need adjustable track bars to correctly center the axle. Or you need adjustable LCAs to correct caster. ...
They also don't use a brand of shock that I know anything about. I don't want to go searching around the internet for just the right shock for use with their kit.

Sponsored

hoch

First Name
Hoch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
AEV stuff is overpriced and over-hyped by people who just don’t really know any better. It really sounds like you are a prime candidate for a spacer lift (not something I usually recommend). Otherwise for a bit more you can get entry-level options from Clayton, Metalcloak, or Rock Krawler. All of which are far superior in and off-road to anything AEV builds. And yes, forcing you to buy their garbage programmer when you buy a lift is a joke.
I’ve been looking at the Clayton Ride Right 2.5” kit (after deciding to pass on AEV and Dynatrac).
It doesn’t come with shocks. What shocks would you recommend to pair with the Clayton lift?

OP
OP
cosmokenney

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I’ve been looking at the Clayton Ride Right 2.5” kit (after deciding to pass on AEV and Dynatrac).
It doesn’t come with shocks. What shocks would you recommend to pair with the Clayton lift?
The Fox 2.0 are a great option if you want something budget friendly that provides an amazing ride! Falcon shocks also pair nicely with our kits, especially if you want something adjustable! Our Valentine's Day Sale starts today as well!

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
Metalcloak is, I think, out of my price range.
I mean I have no idea if I need a new drive shaft with any of their lifts. So I don't want to get into a situation where they are just trying to sell me something because they know I have no clue if they are being truthful or not. Not saying that will happen, but I have no past experience with them. This is one reason I just want a complete turn-key system. But no one offers that. Many say their kit is complete but then you find out that you need adjustable track bars to correctly center the axle. Or you need adjustable LCAs to correct caster. ...
They also don't use a brand of shock that I know anything about. I don't want to go searching around the internet for just the right shock for use with their kit.
I’d call MetalCloak too. You’d be surprised at their customer service. They’re not all about selling you as much as they can. Most smaller companies like them, Clayton, etc. are also Offroad enthusiasts and understand that no everyone needs a full on MetalCloak kit or even Clayton for that matter.

You just need to decide what you want to do with your Jeep and then decide. If you are rarely, or never, going to rock crawl and just need something to handle trails rated 3-5, you’re needs are way different than some who do trails rated 7+ regularly. Too many people get hung up on buying stuff they don’t need and buy it just to have it versus getting what they need or think looks ‘cool’. Reservoir shocks are another great example of that.

Edit: Added info.

hoch

First Name
Hoch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The Fox 2.0 are a great option if you want something budget friendly that provides an amazing ride! Falcon shocks also pair nicely with our kits, especially if you want something adjustable! Our Valentine's Day Sale starts today as well!
Thanks! I was looking at those shocks.
Is there a forum discount? 🙂
Sponsored