Sponsored

Well, I was going to buy an AEV DualSport RT Suspension yesterday...

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Yep. Oops. Fixed.
If you go with longer shocks than stock with extensions, you’ll want to grab the Teraflex parking brake extension kit for the rear. Can’t do the line flip on the 4xe.
Sponsored

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Do you think 4.10's are OK with 35" tires and an auto? I'm thinking about buying the AEV kit but really don't want to regear.

Also, how is your caster after using the AEV kit on the Rubicon?
YES you'll be fine. That was the exact setup I had for over a year until I went to 37s. No issues at all for my 60+ mile commute daily (I have 40,000 miles on my 2021). Routinely "saw 8th gear" and top speeds were in the mid-70s at some point in my commute. No issues at all, you'll be 100% fine...if your concern is daily drivability.

OP
OP
cosmokenney

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
I'd suggest that you do the Metalcloak 2.5" dual rate without shocks and add your own in. For 2 reasons...

1) You live near them. They are based out of the Sacramento area (Rancho Cordova). You could save on shipping by just going and picking it up. Or, better yet, have them do the install!

2) I used this in my last JL with their shocks and I loved it. The ride was better than stock and I had zero issues for over 2 years of use. And will be ordering it for my 4xe but will be using my stock shocks to avoid changing the front drive shaft.
I looked at metal cloak but they are $2300 without shocks. I assume that, even though I have a Rubicon, I would still have to get longer shocks?

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I looked at metal cloak but they are $2300 without shocks. I assume that, even though I have a Rubicon, I would still have to get longer shocks?
Is that with the driveshaft? The driveshaft is required by the MC 30”+ shock length. You should be okay to 28” (including any brackets) or so with the stock shaft. RK sets the over under at 29”.

OP
OP
cosmokenney

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
Is that with the driveshaft? The driveshaft is required by the MC 30”+ shock length. You should be okay to 28” (including any brackets) or so with the stock shaft. RK sets the over under at 29”.
Yes I picked the drive shaft in the options. I have no idea what MC 30"+ references in the above. Like I said, in a previous reply to this thread. I'm, unfortunately, clueless with regard to suspension and lifts.

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Yes I picked the drive shaft in the options. I have no idea what MC 30"+ references in the above. Like I said, in a previous reply to this thread. I'm, unfortunately, clueless with regard to suspension and lifts.
Extended shock length. The bump stops set your uptravel and extended shock length sets your droop. The stock driveshaft can only take a set amount of droop.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Also, Metalcloak does flash sales for holidays, 10% off and free shipping. For pretty much everything else, use the Northridge forum code to get the best everyday deal and free shipping.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon

Sponsored

Adv_aw8s

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon diesel
Clubs

I'm a big fan of the AEV lift and their products. Their lift does great on the pavement and never lets me down offroad. Just got back from winter4x4jamboree and ran all seven rates trails and the AEV lift didn't disappoint. I doubt I'll run anything much more difficult. Most of our travels are more overlanding anyhow. I also have three buddies all with AEV built jeeps and they have been everywhere to include the Rubicon and dusy!

Jeep Wrangler JL Well, I was going to buy an AEV DualSport RT Suspension yesterday... 20230121_175825-a0db
Jeep Wrangler JL Well, I was going to buy an AEV DualSport RT Suspension yesterday... 20230119_172307-2e17
Jeep Wrangler JL Well, I was going to buy an AEV DualSport RT Suspension yesterday... IMG_20230120_184501

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
AEV is so overpriced. Idk people think theres some magic to it. Standard shocks, taller springs, and a bunch of brackets lol.

"This kit can handle blue trails really well". A stock sport can handle blue trails...

A lift is just... A lift... It lifts your jeep to fit larger tires thats it. That also changes suspension geometry that needs be corrected. Different coils have different stiffness, heavier jeep need stiffer coils.

The entry level clayton kit is a great kit that includes more than you need honestly for a small lift kit. In a good way. It can handle onroad as well as offroad. Real offroad. Their marketing makes it sound it cant handle the heavy stuff. But you got a lifted jeep with front and rear lockers, 35s, 4LO. It can handle trails with ease. Specially a 2 door. Heck a 2 door rubi on 35s, 2inch coil spacers and 3inch lift shocks can handle the Rubicon.

Anyway. Dont get AEV. Get clayton. If it is too expensive just buy their springs, metalcloak adjustable bump stops, mopar lift LCAs, sway bar links of choice and bilstein 5100s. And you are done.

If you want the best onroad ride. Get the full clayton kit.

I am on stock rubi springs and teraflex 1in spacers. Running bilstein shocks and mopar lift LCAs. Jeep handles offroad with ease and onroad it drives a bit better than stock. Dont overthink this stuff.

Jeep Wrangler JL Well, I was going to buy an AEV DualSport RT Suspension yesterday... IMG_20220827_101002545

knox

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JK
I'm 10 years in on my AEV 2.5 lift on my JK and never had an issue...

COJeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR, '23 Donkey because gas is too expensive
Clubs

My grandma used to say, "you buy cheap you buy twice." I don't know if I can because I don't even own one myself yet, but, I recommend Clayton. Their customer support has been great with all my questions. I'm getting close to ordering, probably mid to end of February. At this point, even my wife is saying, "just buy it!" because we can't hit any trails with 37s on stock suspension.

COJeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR, '23 Donkey because gas is too expensive
Clubs

But they don't sell it without the $225, feature challanged, ProCal Snap.

I contacted their customer service asking if they would sell me the lift without the ProCal since I already have a FlashCal JL. They replied right away, which at least was refreshing in this day and age, but told me they don't sell the lift without the ProCal. And then went on to tell me I could just try to sell it. But if you look in the classifieds on this forum, it seems people are having trouble getting rid of them.

So, in the same price range, is there a decent alternative for a ~2" 2 door Rubicon lift? Not sure I want to go with Mopar since I have heavy front/rear bumpers with winch and rear tire carrier and tailgate reinforcement bracket. It sounded like the spring rate of the AEV would have been a better option for me. But I'm not sure I want to do business with them at this point. I'm guessing most of my customer service issues with them will follow in the same vein.

Here you go, $600. It's off a 4 door so maybe it will give you slightly higher ride height?

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/392-xr-take-off-suspension-tires.108161/

Or $150! https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/teraflex-spacer-lift-kit-1-5”.107186/
Sponsored