Sponsored

Well....I traded my JL in 2019, but now I miss it...

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
I got a 4 x 8 nothing fancy trailer
I recently put together a cheapo HF 4x8 trailer and it has already paid for itself. Great for moving around 10ft pieces of lumber, hauled a few appliances on it, etc. Pretty much eliminated my need for a truck. That said, Gladiators have caught my eye recently....

Oh I used a hitch rack before and it was great.
I use a hitch rack and a Kuat Pivot swingaway adapter and its a great set up. Spaces the rack far enough back so that it can fold vertically, and keeps the pedals off of my spare when the bike is on. The whole setup swings away so that I can get into the trunk.
Sponsored

Turchman

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2018 VW Tiguan, 2001 Infinity
Occupation
Engineer and Quality Manager
If you want a manual Rubicon, you might be better off ordering. That's what we did. It seems orders are progressing pretty quickly now.

stevepoz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red JLUR
I feel your pain. I sold my JKUR and bought an Audi A4 in 2018. Fast foward - Audi has been sold to Carvana and I have a 2021 JLUR on order. Can’t wait to get it.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
I traded my JL in for a TACOMA and couldn't be happier. Do I miss the Jeep? yes and No. I loved it for what it was.. a great off-roader, fun vehicle. Too bad it drove like shit and had a lot of issues. I also really missed having a truck even if its a smallish bed like my Tacoma. I dont use a vehicle strictly for off-roading and trails. I needed it to be able to carry things like big screen TV's, lumber, bbq pits etc.. Not to mention going Deer hunting, Dove hunting, etc with a SUV sucked. I liked being able to toss whatever I killed in the bed of the truck and not smell up an interior lol.

In a perfect world I'd own a Full Size Truck and a Jeep Wrangler. For now my world is not that perfect and I needed something that could kill 2 birds with 1 stone and for now the Mid-Size truck works well.

Sponsored

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Does the seating position and interior bother you at all? I test drove a taco and felt like my legs were straight out.
The 2020's finally have power seats so i can adjust really well. It has more leg room than the JL did. I always felt the Tub of the JL and the Transmission were very narrow where the feet actually rest. Adding the dead pedal kinda helped but actually made the space even more narrow.

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Wranglers are a lifestyle choice as much as transportation from point A to point B for most people. They’re barely practical and certainly not economical. But my Jeep makes my soul smile.

I don’t think a gladiator would have the same effect.

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
Wranglers are a lifestyle choice as much as transportation from point A to point B for most people. They’re barely practical and certainly not economical. But my Jeep makes my soul smile.
I dunno - I have a little over 4K miles on my 2-door and I find it practical as a daily driver, gear hauler, and fun on the weekends. But I pulled the rear seat on day one and only have my wife (who loves Jeeps) as a passenger. Different use cases would have different results.

As for economical, to-date the computer says I’m averaging 22+ mpg, with my calculated just a bit lower than that. Yes, the GTI gets better mileage but not by a huge amount, and certainly plenty of “practical” cars that don’t do much better.

plus I feel like a kid everything I climb behind the wheel. It’s a freakin’ time machine! :)

Last edited:

Sponsored

PatrickR

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I traded my JL in for a TACOMA and couldn't be happier. Do I miss the Jeep? yes and No. I loved it for what it was.. a great off-roader, fun vehicle. Too bad it drove like shit and had a lot of issues. I also really missed having a truck even if its a smallish bed like my Tacoma. I dont use a vehicle strictly for off-roading and trails. I needed it to be able to carry things like big screen TV's, lumber, bbq pits etc.. Not to mention going Deer hunting, Dove hunting, etc with a SUV sucked. I liked being able to toss whatever I killed in the bed of the truck and not smell up an interior lol.

In a perfect world I'd own a Full Size Truck and a Jeep Wrangler. For now my world is not that perfect and I needed something that could kill 2 birds with 1 stone and for now the Mid-Size truck works well.
Meh... just throw a plastic bin in the back and problem solved for hunting. I've hauled quite a few dead deer/ducks/doves/turkey/geese etc in the JL and it hasn't ever made me pine for a truck.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Nissan based on bad advice from a "friend". i got it for 0 for 60. it was cheap, reliable, pair of shoes.

BORING.
Friends don’t let friends drive Nissans. :LOL:

Walter-new jeeper

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue Wrangler JLUR, Expedition, Escape
Oh I used a hitch rack before and it was great. Finding a manual wrangler is proving very difficult.
Rather than trying to find a stick - why not custom order your Wrangler, that way you can choose everything about it. Might even make if faster to get a stick than waiting for one to show up on a lot in a color you like.

tbOscarMike

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Oscar Mike
I've had a truck since the mid 90's and a little over two years ago I traded my Ram for the JL. I was concerned about not having the ability to haul stuff. The simple solution, was to buy a trailer. I got a 4 x 8 nothing fancy trailer. Guess what...... I don't miss the truck. I love the maneuverability of the Jeep, and easy loading of the trailer. I had a lift on the truck (and all the trucks before it), so loading/unloading is a pain. Turns out a nice low, flat trailer is much easier to haul stuff in. No fender wells to deal with, and you don't have to lift anything real high.
I recommend a Wrangler with a trailer. At least it works for me. That'll be my configuration for the foreseeable future, unless they decide to make that J6 concept a reality. ;)

As for mountain biking. Mine fits in the back of my unlimited with the rear seat folded down. Although that's not the most convenient option since it takes up all the cargo space and can get the interior dirty. I'm looking at a bike rack, or maybe exploring how big of a hassle it would be to load onto a roof rack.
Good to know. My buddy uses one on his Subaru and it seems pretty convenient.
I’ve got a bike rack, if you would like to try that route.
Sponsored