Sponsored

Well....I traded my JL in 2019, but now I miss it...

Vrhaines

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU 4xe
So;

I had an opportunity to get out of my JL for a new Silverado. I needed a truck, or so I thought I did. That 2019 Silverado Trail Boss turned out to be a lemon. Legitimately. Fought with GM about it. I now daily a Maxima, which is a fine car but I also have a Challenger Scat Pack.

I'm thinking about getting back into a wrangler OR gladiator. I need some utility and I go mountain biking. The Challenger is nasty. It's a fun car but here in PA...its about to become useless in 90 days for 120 days.

Any one seeing deals out there? I want a Stick Rubicon or Sahara.
Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Deals right now on 2020’s are reportedly a bit difficult to find as, I am told, that dealer inventories are quite low (COVID plant shutdowns and robust sales = low inventory). Until the 2021’s arrive on the lots, it might not change. If you can wait a couple of months, there may be some good deals on left over 2020’s or you can just buy a 2021 with its new steering box.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I've had a truck since the mid 90's and a little over two years ago I traded my Ram for the JL. I was concerned about not having the ability to haul stuff. The simple solution, was to buy a trailer. I got a 4 x 8 nothing fancy trailer. Guess what...... I don't miss the truck. I love the maneuverability of the Jeep, and easy loading of the trailer. I had a lift on the truck (and all the trucks before it), so loading/unloading is a pain. Turns out a nice low, flat trailer is much easier to haul stuff in. No fender wells to deal with, and you don't have to lift anything real high.
I recommend a Wrangler with a trailer. At least it works for me. That'll be my configuration for the foreseeable future, unless they decide to make that J6 concept a reality. ;)

As for mountain biking. Mine fits in the back of my unlimited with the rear seat folded down. Although that's not the most convenient option since it takes up all the cargo space and can get the interior dirty. I'm looking at a bike rack, or maybe exploring how big of a hassle it would be to load onto a roof rack.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Vrhaines

Vrhaines

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU 4xe
I've had a truck since the mid 90's and a little over two years ago I traded my Ram for the JL. I was concerned about not having the ability to haul stuff. The simple solution, was to buy a trailer. I got a 4 x 8 nothing fancy trailer. Guess what...... I don't miss the truck. I love the maneuverability of the Jeep, and easy loading of the trailer. I had a lift on the truck (and all the trucks before it), so loading/unloading is a pain. Turns out a nice low, flat trailer is much easier to haul stuff in. No fender wells to deal with, and you don't have to lift anything real high.
I recommend a Wrangler with a trailer. At least it works for me. That'll be my configuration for the foreseeable future, unless they decide to make that J6 concept a reality. ;)

As for mountain biking. Mine fits in the back of my unlimited with the rear seat folded down. Although that's not the most convenient option since it takes up all the cargo space and can get the interior dirty. I'm looking at a bike rack, or maybe exploring how big of a hassle it would be to load onto a roof rack.
Oh I used a hitch rack before and it was great. Finding a manual wrangler is proving very difficult.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Good to know. My buddy uses one on his Subaru and it seems pretty convenient.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Oh I used a hitch rack before and it was great. Finding a manual wrangler is proving very difficult.
When you typed “stick” in your first post, I read “stock”.......

my guess is that it will be very hard to find a 2020 manual transmission Rubicon and even harder to find a manual Sahara on Dealer lots. They probably exist around the country but hens teeth do too.

maybe just order a 2021?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve been there, done that. Twice I tried to get away from Wranglers but lasted only six months. Most recently, in the spring of 2019 I traded my 2018 JKUR Recon —for a variety of reasons that don’t pertain here— for a 2019 Tacoma TRD Off-road. I was back in a Wrangler, this time a JL, within six months.

Since you need(ed) a truck, have you considered a Gladiator? Inventories of Gladiators appear a bit better than of Wranglers at the moment.

Good luck.

OP
OP
Vrhaines

Vrhaines

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU 4xe
I’ve been there, done that. Twice I tried to get away from Wranglers but lasted only six months. Most recently, in the spring of 2019 I traded my 2018 JKUR Recon —for a variety of reasons that don’t pertain here— for a 2019 Tacoma TRD Off-road. I was back in a Wrangler, this time a JL, within six months.

Since you need(ed) a truck, have you considered a Gladiator? Inventories of Gladiators appear a bit better than of Wranglers at the moment.
I have to get past how it looks. Or find a really good deal.

Sponsored

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)
If you can, I would recommend waiting till Christmas time or maybe even Black Friday. Pretty sure there will be deals to encourage purchasing esp then as FCA overall is not doing too good financially. Consumer sales have increased slightly or stayed the same versus 2019. But they are bleeding when it comes to B2B sales (ex: Rentals, Corporate Fleets, etc). They may need the consumer sales to help their B2B division pull themselves together in this tough time. Hence, there could be deals come Christmas.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I have to get past how it looks. Or find a really good deal.
Admittedly, Gladiator has grown on me. I really like it now.

But having owned a Tacoma, I have no desire for anything that long.

My guess is, having owned a Silverado, that may not be an issue for you.

OP
OP
Vrhaines

Vrhaines

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU 4xe
PS - even a “lemon” Wrangler is better than driving most other vehicles, IMO. Especially a Nissan... :CWL:
I have the Nissan based on bad advice from a "friend". i got it for 0 for 60. it was cheap, reliable, pair of shoes.

BORING.
Admittedly, Gladiator has grown on me. I really like it.

But having owned a Tacoma, I have no desire for anything that long. My guess is, having owned a Silverado, that may not be an issue for you.
I've had all three full size trucks. I have no issue with the size. I'm cross shopping RAM but every time I think about it; I think about how much fun i had in the Wrangler.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I think Gladiator sounds perfect for you. You should totally buy one.
Sponsored