Well crap, Warn 9.5TI won’t fit stock bumper with Warn plate

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I have a brand new Warn 9.5TI winch thats been sitting on a shelf for a decade waiting for a Jeep to use it on and now it won’t fit.
I have a 2021 Rubicon with stock steel bumper and the Warn winch plate. Has anybody figured out a way to make this combo work? The winch motor sticks out about 3/4” too far and hits the passenger side frame rail.
I thought about just re-drilling the winch mounting holes in the plate but then the fairlead would be offset.
I could also re-drill the fairlead mounting holes and open up the rope slot to offset everything over a bit to the drivers aide to allow clearance but was wondering if anybody has any other ideas before I start drilling and cutting.
Any input is appreciated
Vince
Sponsored

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Just looked online...info does not give length for your winch, I installed a Apex Badlands in mine ..was a tight fit at 21-1/4 in. width was 6.-5/16 in but it fit I also used the warn plate along with Poisen spyder spacers under the feet. If any of this helps? It may be a matter of using spacers under the feet to clear the rail...just shooting into the barrel ...any pics of it ?

OP
OP
Vinman

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I don’t have any pics as I just finished re-installing the bumper. Good suggestion on the spacers but the winch has to move over,. I don’t think there’s any getting around that.
it looks like I can move it over by re-drilling the winch mounting holes and cut the fairlead slot but was hoping there was a solution before I start carving.
I’m going to leave it for a day or two and see if I or somebody else can come up with a solution.
Thanks again for the suggestion.

OP
OP
Vinman

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I just did some measuring and the distance from the centre of the winch mounting holes is 8-1/2” and the distance from the holes in the plate to the frame is 7-7/8”.
So moving it over 3/4” should give me 1/8” clearance.
The good news is it looks like moving it over 3/4” will work with the fairlead mounting holes and slot but I don’t want to rush into it until I’ve exhausted any other potential options

OP
OP
Vinman

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Well, the 9.5 TI is in and working properly. I had to redrill the mounting holes for the winch and fairlead and elongate the fairlead slot.
Another issue that came up was it was impossible to install the bumper after the winch was installed so I had to install the bumper first, then the winch. But once the bumper is installed, it made the two forward winch mounting bolts a real bear to get in. All in all, everything is done and it took about 4 hours total.
And since everybody likes pictures
Jeep Wrangler JL Well crap, Warn 9.5TI won’t fit stock bumper with Warn plate 6107608C-E770-44C1-80F4-8080E5B0A3EB
Jeep Wrangler JL Well crap, Warn 9.5TI won’t fit stock bumper with Warn plate 08FAEE03-9EB6-49A3-A493-6F9B5552AFB5

Sponsored

Hartdt

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUS
Just looked online...info does not give length for your winch, I installed a Apex Badlands in mine ..was a tight fit at 21-1/4 in. width was 6.-5/16 in but it fit I also used the warn plate along with Poisen spyder spacers under the feet. If any of this helps? It may be a matter of using spacers under the feet to clear the rail...just shooting into the barrel ...any pics of it ?
i am planning to install the badlands apex and warn winch plate on my 2018 wrangler JLU this weekend. I have the mopar steel front bumper. In your opinion will I need the spacers for the installation to work? Been researching this for some time and this is the first I have read about someone using this spacer application. Thanks for your insight.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
i am planning to install the badlands apex and warn winch plate on my 2018 wrangler JLU this weekend. I have the mopar steel front bumper. In your opinion will I need the spacers for the installation to work? Been researching this for some time and this is the first I have read about someone using this spacer application. Thanks for your insight.
When I first installed mine, I had read all those who installed thiers before me and many had issue with the clutch handle hitting the edge of bumper and being able to turn as if it was not sitting high enough. So the consensus was to purchase the spacers which would resolve the issue. I did.... and all was good. Then after posting my install there was someone who said his fit fine without the spacers. So If I were you I would purchase them...They are like 10 bucks(Just in case) ...I wasn't about to go back in and see if mine would still fit without them. I think the specs of the rails and bumpers tend to not run true so some may need, some may not. Like I said I used them and everything went smooth...also make sure that you get an extra 4 bolts at your hardware store (I forget what size they are ) if you use the spacers you may have a hard time grabbing the thread on the feet. If you use the supplied screws they won't be long enough. Given that you now have the spacers you will need longer bolts. there is a massive thread on Badland apex install for OEM steel bumper..u should read it through . It will def give you insight to what others have done as far as running cables etc.. It is a really nice winch for the money, I love mine. Congratz and take your time ..it is an easy install but at times it feels like it won't fit or hard to reach areas to tighten or unscrew the bolts. I have giant hands and I really thought it couldn't be done (Ratchets and my hands in tight spots led to a lot of skinned knuckles) but it is doable just take your time.
one more thing (if u read through the thread ) you will also see that some (myself included ) also needed to elongate the hole's for the screws that attach to the front steel skid plate. I used a dremel but you could use whatever you have to widen the hole. The warn plate that holds the winch I believe sets it farther forward so they don't completely line up afterward.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Vinman...the winch Looks great! Your efforts paid off.

Hartdt

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUS
When I first installed mine, I had read all those who installed thiers before me and many had issue with the clutch handle hitting the edge of bumper and being able to turn as if it was not sitting high enough. So the consensus was to purchase the spacers which would resolve the issue. I did.... and all was good. Then after posting my install there was someone who said his fit fine without the spacers. So If I were you I would purchase them...They are like 10 bucks(Just in case) ...I wasn't about to go back in and see if mine would still fit without them. I think the specs of the rails and bumpers tend to not run true so some may need, some may not. Like I said I used them and everything went smooth...also make sure that you get an extra 4 bolts at your hardware store (I forget what size they are ) if you use the spacers you may have a hard time grabbing the thread on the feet. If you use the supplied screws they won't be long enough. Given that you now have the spacers you will need longer bolts. there is a massive thread on Badland apex install for OEM steel bumper..u should read it through . It will def give you insight to what others have done as far as running cables etc.. It is a really nice winch for the money, I love mine. Congratz and take your time ..it is an easy install but at times it feels like it won't fit or hard to reach areas to tighten or unscrew the bolts. I have giant hands and I really thought it couldn't be done (Ratchets and my hands in tight spots led to a lot of skinned knuckles) but it is doable just take your time.
one more thing (if u read through the thread ) you will also see that some (myself included ) also needed to elongate the hole's for the screws that attach to the front steel skid plate. I used a dremel but you could use whatever you have to widen the hole. The warn plate that holds the winch I believe sets it farther forward so they don't completely line up afterward.
Appreciate the feedback. I have tried to order the poison winch spacers now from several suppliers and they all appear to be back ordered with delayed shipping until late November. Looked at the rugged ridge as an option with same issue. Amazon has them for $28.99 but still mid nov for delivery. Thinking of fabricating my own. It appears that the poison spacers are around 3/16 thick. Have some steel in the garage. Hoping to get by with this as an option.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Absolutely if you can make em ...you should! I would have had I had the resources.
Sponsored