First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Bolt on cause it’s easy.

Weld on would be better though. Torquing down the control arm bolts through additional steel ears from the skid makes it difficult to get the proper torque and ‘crush’ on the control arm joint. Plus weld on likely has less interference with other crap.

But, I don’t know how to weld and I don’t own the equipment, so it’s bolt on to the rescue.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Weld on is stronger in my opinion. Ties it all together. You should see Lindsay’s control arm mounts. Every one has damage. Wished I had welded them up prior to the rubicon

brett

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
Bolt-on, mostly because here in QC there is no cutting or welding legally permitted on the chassis of the vehicle. And because bolt-on armour can be changed or fixed more easily.

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I went bolt-on because it's easier. Weld-on may be cheaper, but I'd need to find a shop to do for me. I'd rather be using the bolt-on now than waiting to get the weld-on done.

Sponsored

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
Good info. I’ve currently got bolt on both front and rear.

Do weld on skids make it any more difficult to install or remove the arms?

YES! The first mod on my JLR (while waiting on special ordered suspension parts including all 8 Teraflex IR arms) was to allow the shop that ordered the parts (they knew I would be installing them) to talk me into letting them install Artec weld-on front LCA skids...(My welding skills are so-so at best...) This was one of two big mod mistakes... (Other mistake was also pushed by same shop-Synergy Sector Shaft Brace which I removed before even driving with it installed...) With the weld-on skids installed it was impossible to remove the OEM arms and there was zero chance of installing slightly wider aftermarket arms! I had to cut a thin slit down right down the middle of the bottom of the skid and then use a chisel to spread the mount enough to remove the OEM arms and install the new ones. (I cut from the Artec logo rearward) PITA! There is zero excuse for any reputable shop that specializes in Jeeps to not know this would be an issue...Pretty much caused me to lose faith regarding any recommendations from this shop since...Still, if I had taken the time to first look underneath I should have foreseen the problem-this is why I am not naming the shop!
Luckily I have the skills, tools and patience to install all of the other mods myself! (Previous life I was a Chrysler tech, then certified Mercedes tech, shop foreman and finally General Service Manager of a large Mercedes dealer)

I have the Rancho (had them powder coated black) bolt-on rear LCA skids and like them a lot, they are 1/4" steel and fit tight to the bottom of the OEM mounts. (Several other bolt-ons I looked at had up to a 1/2" gap between the bottom of the OEM mount and the skid-wasted ground clearance!)

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
YES! The first mod on my JLR (while waiting on special ordered suspension parts including all 8 Teraflex IR arms) was to allow the shop that ordered the parts (they knew I would be installing them) to talk me into letting them install Artec weld-on front LCA skids...(My welding skills are so-so at best...) This was one of two big mod mistakes... (Other mistake was also pushed by same shop-Synergy Sector Shaft Brace which I removed before even driving with it installed...) With the weld-on skids installed it was impossible to remove the OEM arms and there was zero chance of installing slightly wider aftermarket arms! I had to cut a thin slit down right down the middle of the bottom of the skid and then use a chisel to spread the mount enough to remove the OEM arms and install the new ones. (I cut from the Artec logo rearward) PITA! There is zero excuse for any reputable shop that specializes in Jeeps to not know this would be an issue...Pretty much caused me to lose faith regarding any recommendations from this shop since...Still, if I had taken the time to first look underneath I should have foreseen the problem-this is why I am not naming the shop!
Luckily I have the skills, tools and patience to install all of the other mods myself! (Previous life I was a Chrysler tech, then certified Mercedes tech, shop foreman and finally General Service Manager of a large Mercedes dealer)

I have the Rancho (had them powder coated black) bolt-on rear LCA skids and like them a lot, they are 1/4" steel and fit tight to the bottom of the OEM mounts. (Several other bolt-ons I looked at had up to a 1/2" gap between the bottom of the OEM mount and the skid-wasted ground clearance!)
This was a big part of my concern regarding weld on skids. Thanks for sharing.

gonzoflick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD

I'm thinking about welding the metalcloak skids on my front LCAs of my JLRU.

are you saying the control arm can't be removed if I do so? Even if I pull it out backwards? Which skids did you weld.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Thanks. This thread is very old. I’ve had bolt RockHard bolt on skids for a few years. I used lock nuts and have no problems with loosening or clunking like some users have reported.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
I'm thinking about welding the metalcloak skids on my front LCAs of my JLRU.

are you saying the control arm can't be removed if I do so? Even if I pull it out backwards? Which skids did you weld.
I did Artec weld on. The control arm doesn't drop out. But it does pull out. It's a little inconvenient but not a big deal.
Sponsored