Sponsored

Weird noise from rear passenger wheel

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2019 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4, 2018 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 Charger SRT, 2018 American Dream, 2017 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4X4, 2020 Redwood 3951MB, 2019 Mercedes 4WD Van
Update: there seems to be nothing wrong with the diffs or the wheels, however I was able to replicate the sound when reving the engine at around 2k rpms and keeping it there. The car was stopped and in neutral.
Wow! - that then sounds more like a tranny or transfer case issue. Best get that thing in to a RELIABLE dealer. Do you have another one you can go to that isn't too far? I have a dealer a mile from my house that you couldn't pay me to go to even for an oil change, thanks to past bad experiences. (after initial experience I went to another, further, dealer for a few years, then went back to initial only to have another bad experience, so then just started going all the time to the other dealer - except when getting even an oil change on the H-cat as it requires more than just draining and refilling the crankcase and replacing filter...I go 150 miles to another good dealer for that)
Sponsored

OP
OP
JlRubicon13

JlRubicon13

First Name
Davi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door wrangler rubicon
Wow! - that then sounds more like a tranny or transfer case issue. Best get that thing in to a RELIABLE dealer. Do you have another one you can go to that isn't too far? I have a dealer a mile from my house that you couldn't pay me to go to even for an oil change, thanks to past bad experiences. (after initial experience I went to another, further, dealer for a few years, then went back to initial only to have another bad experience, so then just started going all the time to the other dealer - except when getting even an oil change on the H-cat as it requires more than just draining and refilling the crankcase and replacing filter...I go 150 miles to another good dealer for that)
I hope it isn't lol. There are a couple of dealers in my area so Ill let them take a look. I wonder if might be something inside the muffler as the sound is coming from that area.

eck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU MOAB HellaYella
I hope it isn't lol. There are a couple of dealers in my area so Ill let them take a look. I wonder if might be something inside the muffler as the sound is coming from that area.
That was my thought as well. If you're standing still in neutral, the only thing rearward of the input shaft of the transmission capable of making noise is the exhaust.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Update: there seems to be nothing wrong with the diffs or the wheels, however I was able to replicate the sound when reving the engine at around 2k rpms and keeping it there. The jeep was stopped and in neutral.
you have a manual or auto trans? if auto try revving in park see if you get the same noise.. really curious to what this is going to come out as a problem

OP
OP
JlRubicon13

JlRubicon13

First Name
Davi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door wrangler rubicon
you have a manual or auto trans? if auto try revving in park see if you get the same noise.. really curious to what this is going to come out as a problem
me too. its an auto. Same noise in park.

Sponsored

Suspect

First Name
Franky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKR
me too. its an auto. Same noise in park.
Did they ever fix the issue for you? This is the first video I’ve seen were a Jeep is making the EXACT same noise as mine... i have a brand new 21’ Rubicon and it’s been making the same noise since 0 miles

JeepersCreepers2

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S

Sponsored

motownsax

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL Turbo
Did you ever fix the issue? I'm having a similar sound from rear passenger
I have a 2 door Rubi and I have a similar sound. Dealer thought it was emission cannister which contains charcoal. They replaced it but said when they shake the cannister you can hear the charcoal move. They drove another 2 door which did the same thing and they state the cannister may be the problem your hearing is the cannister and charcoal. Mine did it from a stop and you could hear it for a short period of time and if you go over a speed bump you may hear it.

RCJLU

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I have a 2 door Rubi and I have a similar sound. Dealer thought it was emission cannister which contains charcoal. They replaced it but said when they shake the cannister you can hear the charcoal move. They drove another 2 door which did the same thing and they state the cannister may be the problem your hearing is the cannister and charcoal. Mine did it from a stop and you could hear it for a short period of time and if you go over a speed bump you may hear it.
My problem fixed.

The pinion bearing on the rear axle was replaced.

Gmoneyrain

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
I have the same noise when coming to a stop at low speed and even in reverse found slow and turning in. it’s mainly when turning the wheel slightly at speeds around 5mph and is rotational and stops once the car comes to complete stop. You can hear it from above the passenger side wheel area when outside the car and turning slow and even sometimes when coming to a stop with wheel straight. They replaced rear differential and noise still present. Not sure at this point what it could be. 2021 wrangler unlimited sport btw Dana 35 rear
Sponsored