Weird noise from rear passenger wheel

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
A grinding sound in the wheel can be caused by worn wheel bearings. If you swap the wheel with one in the front, do you hear the sound in the front?
Sponsored

OP
OP
JlRubicon13

JlRubicon13

First Name
Davi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door wrangler rubicon
OP
OP
JlRubicon13

JlRubicon13

First Name
Davi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door wrangler rubicon
A grinding sound in the wheel can be caused by worn wheel bearings. If you swap the wheel with one in the front, do you hear the sound in the front?
The sound is still there, at the rear even after tire rotations.

OP
OP
JlRubicon13

JlRubicon13

First Name
Davi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door wrangler rubicon
I wonder if there’s anything to do with the handbrake as it doesn’t really hold the Jeep well even after it was adjusted. Maybe something is loose and causes the noise at low speeds and goes away at higher speeds due to centrifugal force.

Dalma

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon - Bikini Pearl
Is this video from the Jeep in question or from another?

I would jackup the corner in question, pull the tire and spin the hub listening for weird sounds and then look to see if you have any up and down play in the hub.

I know of some people that have picked up a rock sitting between the backside of the rotor and the dust shield and other that have had a wheel bearing go. If it's the wheel bearing you will also likely see and smell some gear oil leaking past the seal.

My JK just needed bearings and seals. The first sign I had signalling a wheel bearing issue was that the handbrake stopped working was that rear end oil was leaking and had wrecked my parking brake shoes.

Sponsored

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
What size tires do you have?

Bent axle flange? Have not had a chance to listen to the video yet.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
So I'm sorry no help but a few years back there was a radio commercial for Motorcraft service....one thing they say is, "Right rear looks a little unbalanced" and a then a stressed, shaky voice replies, "Stop staring at me!"

Sigh.....story of my life!

Ok, back to helpful suggestions....

OP
OP
JlRubicon13

JlRubicon13

First Name
Davi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door wrangler rubicon
Thanks for all of the replies. Appreciate the help. The jeep is stock on 33s. When I get the chance I will jack it up and check it.

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
It’s a bit different. Not as “uniform” if that makes sense
That was my Jeep. The noise you described and when it happens was the same. It would disappear at higher speeds, but would occur at low speeds. Dealer thought it was wheel bearings, but once they opened the pumpkin, the gears were chewed up. They replaced the whole rear axle. Fixed.

OP
OP
JlRubicon13

JlRubicon13

First Name
Davi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door wrangler rubicon
That was my Jeep. The noise you described and when it happens was the same. It would disappear at higher speeds, but would occur at low speeds. Dealer thought it was wheel bearings, but once they opened the pumpkin, the gears were chewed up. They replaced the whole rear axle. Fixed.
Ok might be it then. Did you have the rubicon Dana’s 44?

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Ok might be it then. Did you have the rubicon Dana’s 44?
Sport and Sahara models get the 44 rear when they opt for a limited slip differential. Their issue seems to stem from the lsd clutches wearing prematurely and that large amount of grit is making a mess of all the associated hard parts.

The open diffs on our Rubicons wouldn't be afflicted with that. Also, their noises are cyclic, while yours is more sporadic.

I had thought about the parking brake the other day, but not yet being familiar with how jeep set that up, I didn't want to send you on a wild goose chase. But... now that you mentioned it not working as it should, I would definitely check for any loose or missing retention hardware. Again, I'm not sure how jeep laid things out with the parking brake, but my older pickup has a pair of shoes that are housed in drum that is machined into the interior of the rear brake discs. It's a one piece designed rotor that is noticeably wider than the front rotor because of that added emergency brake drum. If jeep uses that same rear brake rotor/drum combo, the shoes would have a few springs and clips per wheel end that may have been compromised.

OP
OP
JlRubicon13

JlRubicon13

First Name
Davi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door wrangler rubicon
Sport and Sahara models get the 44 rear when they opt for a limited slip differential. Their issue seems to stem from the lsd clutches wearing prematurely and that large amount of grit is making a mess of all the associated hard parts.

The open diffs on our Rubicons wouldn't be afflicted with that. Also, their noises are cyclic, while yours is more sporadic.

I had thought about the parking brake the other day, but not yet being familiar with how jeep set that up, I didn't want to send you on a wild goose chase. But... now that you mentioned it not working as it should, I would definitely check for any loose or missing retention hardware. Again, I'm not sure how jeep laid things out with the parking brake, but my older pickup has a pair of shoes that are housed in drum that is machined into the interior of the rear brake discs. It's a one piece designed rotor that is noticeably wider than the front rotor because of that added emergency brake drum. If jeep uses that same rear brake rotor/drum combo, the shoes would have a few springs and clips per wheel end that may have been compromised.
Yes there is no pattern to the sound. The parking brake would make sense. Thanks

OP
OP
JlRubicon13

JlRubicon13

First Name
Davi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door wrangler rubicon
If its easy to duplicate, why not just take it to Jeep? I had some crazy squealing coming from the rear end and they ended up replacing an oil seal.
I took it last week and they said that it was mud on the brakes lol but I have a new appointment for next week.

OP
OP
JlRubicon13

JlRubicon13

First Name
Davi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door wrangler rubicon
Update: there seems to be nothing wrong with the diffs or the wheels, however I was able to replicate the sound when reving the engine at around 2k rpms and keeping it there. The jeep was stopped and in neutral.
Sponsored

Last edited: