Aloha Offroad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392
Vehicle Showcase
On Friday, we picked up our new JLR that we ordered in February. We drove it home, which was a three hour drive, and it drove well. Once we got home, we parked, picked up our kids, and took a short drive around our neighborhood. Then it happened; the Jeep let out a squeal, a BANG and stopped running. Nothing looked noticeably wrong under the hood, but there was a slight burning smell, the check engine light was illuminated and the engine wouldn't turn on. We got it towed to a dealership and the mechanics were puzzled. They searched and found the culprit; it was a dowel that is used to hold the engine in place during assembly. Apparently, it was not removed and was sheered off (luckily) after we got home. We got the Jeep back today with it's new starter but this one was new to me:).

Jeep Wrangler JL Weird New Jeep Fail IMG_5368
Jeep Wrangler JL Weird New Jeep Fail IMG_5384
Jeep Wrangler JL Weird New Jeep Fail IMG_5371
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@AtlanticOverland

Weird... yup ....

You didn't pay for the flat tow to the dealership did you? If so, contact Dedicated Jeep Customer Care: Ph. 1-866-362-2146 and ask that they reimburse you, which they will.

While under warranty, call FCA/Jeep Road Service, etc.. Ph. 1-800-992-1997 for a free flat bed to nearest dealership.

You probably know this but figured would post in case others reading do not know this.

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
You might have a flip flop in your radiator. Easter eggs are everywhere.
Glad it worked out for you.

OP
OP
Aloha Offroad

Aloha Offroad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@AtlanticOverland

Weird... yup ....

You didn't pay for the flat tow to the dealership did you? If so, contact Dedicated Jeep Customer Care: Ph. 1-866-362-2146 and ask that they reimburse you, which they will.

While under warranty, call FCA/Jeep Road Service, etc.. Ph. 1-800-992-1997 for a free flat bed to nearest dealership.

You probably know this but figured would post in case others reading do not know this.
Hey, thanks so much for looking out for me. We called the dedicated Jeep number in the back of the manual and it they hooked us up with a free tow to the dealership and everything was covered under warranty. It was inconvenient that it happened, but it was handled very well and I am very happy with the service and the tow.

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
Wait... you just picked up a JLUR at the dealer that you ordered in February????

Never heard of a 4 or 5 month build, must be really special or someone's been using it for a couple months!

Go Jeep!!!

Sponsored

TekSupt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 2.0
I'm glad you're happy and were taken care of. It's probably obvious and I'm missing it, but that was sheared off of what exactly???

The only thing that resembles to me is a stud for aligning cylinder heads during an engine build.

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
Wait... you just picked up a JLUR at the dealer that you ordered in February????

Never heard of a 4 or 5 month build, must be really special or someone's been using it for a couple months!

Go Jeep!!!
It probably took 4-5 months because the Wrangler plant was closed for several months due to the pandemic.

mjaga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Sting Grey

Go Jeep!!!
You must not be following the order threads! Still tons of January orders that have yet to be built. Meanwhile, us 2021 orders are patiently waiting.

Myron

First Name
Myron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler, 1964 Land Rover SIIA 88
Glad the OP got his Jeep sorted. I wish I understood how the factory worked. I ordered a 2-dr sport S on May 21 and picked it up July 2. Sorry if I cut in line...

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Hey, thanks so much for looking out for me. We called the dedicated Jeep number in the back of the manual and it they hooked us up with a free tow to the dealership and everything was covered under warranty. It was inconvenient that it happened, but it was handled very well and I am very happy with the service and the tow.
Michael...sorry for such a rare problem...glad it's resolved.

Quite ironic how FCA "hooked you up" with (wait for it) a tow truck, that in fact shouldn't be a tow truck for the JL in the classic sense, but a flat bed.

..and, let me guess, FCA WAS "on the hook" for the cost, correct?

("tip your waiters people, I'm here all fortunately for you, only a week")

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
On Friday, we picked up our new JLR that we ordered in February. We drove it home, which was a three hour drive, and it drove well. Once we got home, we parked, picked up our kids, and took a short drive around our neighborhood. Then it happened; the Jeep let out a squeal, a BANG and stopped running. Nothing looked noticeably wrong under the hood, but there was a slight burning smell, the check engine light was illuminated and the engine wouldn't turn on. We got it towed to a dealership and the mechanics were puzzled. They searched and found the culprit; it was a dowel that is used to hold the engine in place during assembly. Apparently, it was not removed and was sheered off (luckily) after we got home. We got the Jeep back today with it's new starter but this one was new to me:).

IMG_5368.jpg
IMG_5384.jpg
IMG_5371.jpg
Holy Geezus!

The things that happen to brand-spanking new Jeeps these days sound like stuff out of fiction.

Glad to hear you got everything resolved to your satisfaction!

OP
OP
Aloha Offroad

Aloha Offroad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Michael...sorry for such a rare problem...glad it's resolved.

Quite ironic how FCA "hooked you up" with (wait for it) a tow truck, that in fact shouldn't be a tow truck for the JL in the classic sense, but a flat bed.

..and, let me guess, FCA WAS "on the hook" for the cost, correct?

("tip your waiters people, I'm here all fortunately for you, only a week")
We chose the tow truck over the flatbed as it was late on July 3 and though flatbeds were available, it may have taken hours of waiting after an amazingly long day, so we opted for the tow since we wouldn't have had to wait and it wasn't too far to tow anyway.

Also, @wolfdog, as @mjaga said, we were waiting because the plant shut down due to Covid-19 and then once it reopened, the order of production was pretty random. Even though we had ordered pretty early on, we there were those who ordered months later who got their Jeeps first. Fortunately for us, it wasn't a need as we had vehicles that were running well (one of which is my JLUR) and it was more of a want. It's my wife's Jeep so I felt extremely bad that she had to wait, and then after finally receiving it, some crazy stuff happened. She's the voice of reason though and remained calm throughout and is very happy now!

@TekSupt you may be right about the alignment pins for the cylinder heads. I'm not mechanically inclined, though I am working hard to learn. What I do know is there was suddenly a rattle coming from under the hood, then a loud bang and the smell of burning wire/rubber. Then...nothing...

It has been a strange start to our relationship with this Jeep, but we are enjoying it now.

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
I understand the COVID probs but things didn't shut down til long after Feb?

I can see a month maybe two but Feb 2020 til a week ago, wow. My fasted order was a 2012 JKL just a day over 3 weeks!

Good luck whatever the case! :)

Go Jeep!!!

OP
OP
Aloha Offroad

Aloha Offroad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I understand the COVID probs but things didn't shut down til long after Feb?

I can see a month maybe two but Feb 2020 til a week ago, wow. My fasted order was a 2012 JKL just a day over 3 weeks!

Good luck whatever the case! :)

Go Jeep!!!
Yes, and we didn't have a long wait compared to some who ordered in January. If you're curious, here is a link so you can see how the process went for some.
Sponsored