Weird issue today with FAD and not able to put into Park

jg45

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
I'm out here in Moab today for EJS. After our trail run, we ran up to Tusher Tunnel. I was in 4Lo and did a u-turn in some loose sand and an error appeared on screen about the FAD not being available in 4 hi or something similar. I came to a stop and tried to put the transmission in park and the dash days I was moving to fast to go into reverse. I tried to go back to drive and all instruments indicated I was in gear but the transmission seemed to be in neutral. After power cycling a few times to no avail, I shifted into 4hi and everything started working again. Anyone know what caused this issue? I have tried 4lo again since and it worked as expected. Should I be worried about a repeat issue at an inopportune time while on the trails the next few days?
Sponsored

OP
OP
jg45

jg45

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
Just reporting back. The remainder of the time I was at EJS, I had no further issues with this. Really not sure what the cause is, and will not take to dealer unless happens again. I am very curious if anyone else has had similar issues?

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
It seems like the U-Turn in 4 Lo wound up the drive train so tightly that the computer could not figure out what had happened.

In 4 Lo the relative difference in wheel speed is exaggerated so windup should be a concern. I would avoid U Turns in loose sand with 4 Lo; you will not get enough wheel slip to accommodate the binding of the drive train.

Slippery clay, slushy mud, or ice may be ok, but loose sand still provides plenty of grip.
Sponsored