Sponsored

Weird "bubbling/gurgling" noise upon gas pedal release - is it normal?

taram

First Name
Marat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2020 2.2 Diesel Punk'n RHD
Hello, everyone!
I need some help here from those of you who own the same 2.2 MultiJet Diesel as I do - please help me to understand if there's something wrong with my Jeep or not. So, the issue is that if I rather quickly release the gas pedal after raising the engine RPMs under load I can hear (inside and outside the car - no difference) a strange noise which I would describe as a "bubbling" or "gurgling" noise. Important - the noise won't occur if I simply accelerate in Neutral or Parking position - only in Drive or Reverse - no matter, it just needs the load on the wheels. What I also don't like about this noise is that during it the engine goes to around 500 RPM and even starts vibrating a little like it could possibly stop (stall), but then quickly returns to the normal idle RPMs... I took a short video - of you turn the volume up and better use the headphones - you will clearly hear it on 0:07-0:08 on the video.

Instead of driving you can simply put your handbrake on, then put gearbox to "D" or "R", release the brake pedal and gently but quickly accelerate to 2'000 RPMs and release the gas pedal.
I would appreciate if someone could repeat the process and check if there's the same noise like I have.

I've been to the dealership with this issue actually and they told me that's a waste-gate of the turbine which releases the excessive air pressure of the boost after I release the gas pedal. But why then it doesn't happen on the same RPM while in "N" or "P"?... Or the boost starts from lower RPMs under the load as they say?... They could clearly hear the noise and assured me that it's 100% normal. It's not like I don't trust the dealership, but... dang, yeah, I don't trust the dealership! And even I realize I have 5 year warranty ahead, I want to be 100% sure I'm not stuck somewhere on the trail with my family in 100 km from the house.
Thank you everybody in advance!
Sponsored

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon - Hella Yella - 2.2 Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
Hello Marat,

Chance? yesterday I also heard a gurgling noise (I was worried) but this happened to me when I really accelerated hard and was already driving at about 60 km/h, I only looked at the rev counter too quickly and I seemed to be around 2800 rpm.

I don't know if we are talking about the same thing, we can discuss it here.
Stéphane

OP
OP
taram

taram

First Name
Marat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Actually I can hear this noise when driving too, the only issue is that if I accelerate and release the gas pedal while driving most probably I don’t hear it as the road noise is louder, but from inside of the Jeep I would say it makes the noise regardless of the speed - only RPMs play role...

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm having trouble hearing the noise in your video, would it be possible to make a more accurate one?

OP
OP
taram

taram

First Name
Marat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok, tomorrow I will try to take another video with several repeats and the car not moving. Thanks!

Sponsored

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I put the sound much louder on my computer, and it sounds a lot like the noise I clearly heard while riding and accelerating hard which made the engine go up in rpm.

Do you have the time and possibility to do this test?

Riding at 60-70 km/h and wanting to go faster and harder (like overtaking).

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hello Marat,

I did the test this morning just like on your video, and I got the exact same "noise" as you...

Given the very average skills of Jeep / FCA dealers with all the problems reported in this forum, I understand your concern ;)

Good continuation:like:

lohr500

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.2 MultiJet Diesel
Hi Taram. Good news!!!
When I carry out the test you describe, my 2.2 diesel makes exactly the same noise when under load, but no noise if I just rev it in P or D.
So I guess all is well. :like:

OP
OP
taram

taram

First Name
Marat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey guys, thanks for such a prompt feedback! I’m glad this is something normal for this engine, though quite unusual for me, but now it turns out to be a “diesel Jeep thing” :LOL:

Sponsored

CallumJL

First Name
Callum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon 2.2 Diesel
What your describing is the sound of the compressor wheel on the turbo chopping at the air as it has no where to go commonly called compressor surge.

It only happens under load because you do not generate much boost (compressed air from the turbo) when in neutral or park (park is the same as neutral but with a pin locking the output from the gearbox) .

Now the other thing happening hear as your describe it not happening while accelerating is because of the design of this engine. This engine has no throttle body, but it does have something similar Infront of the turbo that is designed to shut off the air supply pre turbo. This plate only closes at low speed when you suddenly back off the throttle or when the engine is off.

All of this is completely normal and harmless.

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for these more technical explanations and so I can also understand better :like:
Sponsored