OP

kkarnage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392, 2020 JLUR, 2015 JKR
Occupation
Retired
I am a first time Jeep owner, but I have had several big early model 4wheel drive, but never anything with all of these electronics.

I have never felt any type binding are anything until this Past weekend when we were stuck, and that was only for minutes, after we got pulled out of the sand and got back on payment.

I am assuming it needs to go to the dealership now, it currently has 30,000 miles on it at 6 months old.
Depends. If it’s still in limp mode after being off and locked for a while, then yeah, you probably want to get it to a dealer.

If the SERV 4WD is on all the time, then yeah, absolutely take it to the dealer.

If the SERV 4WD is on intermittently, YMMV. If you can get it to the dealer while the light is on, and don’t shut off the engine until they’ve plugged in their diagnostic equipment, they might be able to find the error and identify a fix. Basically, if they can’t reproduce the error, they aren’t going to even try to do anything about it.
Sponsored

BareBottom

First Name
Nudels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 392 XR HEMI
Depends. If it’s still in limp mode after being off and locked for a while, then yeah, you probably want to get it to a dealer.

If the SERV 4WD is on all the time, then yeah, absolutely take it to the dealer.

If the SERV 4WD is on intermittently, YMMV. If you can get it to the dealer while the light is on, and don’t shut off the engine until they’ve plugged in their diagnostic equipment, they might be able to find the error and identify a fix. Basically, if they can’t reproduce the error, they aren’t going to even try to do anything about it.
When I was there a few weeks back I showed it to them but they said I had to make a different appointment for that. They did see it but they would not do any diagnostics on that day, I just made an appointment to bring it in and leave if for a couple of days next week. Crazy world.

Thanks vary much, greatly appreciated.

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI

now I always try to get a video of these things on my phone. At least then they can’t deny it’s even happening.

OP
OP

kkarnage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
now I always try to get a video of these things on my phone. At least then they can’t deny it’s even happening.
Well, sure, but they can’t fix what they can’t measure, so even having video of it isn’t going to help much if they can’t plug in their diagnostics while it’s happening. Even then if they turn it off and on again and the problem doesn’t reoccur, then they’ll just write it off as a transient thing.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

OP
OP

kkarnage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
Well, sure, but they can’t fix what they can’t measure, so even having video of it isn’t going to help much if they can’t plug in their diagnostics while it’s happening. Even then if they turn it off and on again and the problem doesn’t reoccur, then they’ll just write it off as a transient thing.
Right, but when it eventually does fail (eg if you’re close to end of warranty) at least you have evidence that it was an issue and they didn’t fix it. I’ve found it does help them “believe you” vs dismiss you. Just trying to be helpful from my experience.

agree most of them are a joke

OP
OP

kkarnage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
These will continue to be an issue for us in the 'move to electric' age.. they think they can force us off of ICE vehicles. I mean it's been an issue since I started modifying cars and off road vehicles back in the 80s.. it's going to get worse. They want us all on electric and that's it.

firedude

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 392 Stingray
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired firefighter
Yup, have a Tazer. Clearing codes with it when SERV 4WD is on does nothing
Have you tried force 2wd when you get the binding?
Sponsored