Sponsored

Weight of JL / JLU Wrangler?

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
I bet they drop weight, but nowhere near what they need to.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
10%?

Edit: The F150 lost as much as 700lbs. So with the smaller Jeeps & less aggressive measures, It'll only likely lose a couple hundred lbs, which will hardly do any good. But hopefully it won't gain any weight.

Last edited:

jeppesen.io

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, WR250R, JLU Rubicon
10%?

Edit: The F150 last as much as 700lbs. So with the smaller Jeeps & less aggressive measures, It'll only likely lose a couple hundred lbs, which will hardly do any good. But hopefully it won't gain any weight.
I think you're being a overly critical - the lightest F150 2-door with 4x4 is 4,330 lbs. Thats only 150ish lbs away from the JKU.

If the JLU drops 200 lbs (what I'm expecting), that makes the wrangler the lightest body of frame 4x4 in the U.S. that I know of. With the Wrangler wheels close the corners it handles the weight very well.

Sponsored

Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
I think you're right on the money here.

Ernie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
I thought the sports bar was staying just a true roll cage now built into the frame(?). I always figured this would increase not decrease weight.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Here's my view:

Marchionne said "we looked at aluminum in lots of places but it didn't work for our goals." So, we're not going to see much of the JL become aluminum. Sources have claimed that only certain parts, such as axle ends, could change to aluminum. That's not going to save much weight.

Then you have the news that the size is increasing 9" in length and 4" in width and 2" in height, which adds weight.

Then you have a plethora of new safety features, which adds weight.

Then you have larger factory tire sizes, which adds weight.

Then you have the same Pentastar engine and the addition of a diesel which adds weight.

Then you have upgraded axles, transmission, t-cases, etc. which adds weight.

I think you see where I'm going with this.....

Eugene the Jeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU in black
Then you have the news that the size is increasing 9" in length and 4" in width and 2" in height, which adds weight.
Impossible that the JL is 9" longer than the JK. Just one look at the spy pics and it's clearly obvious the JL/JLU are not 9" longer.
Sponsored