Weight distribution Hitch

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I am shopping for a travel trailer and The jeep is rated for 3,500 lbs with a hitch weight of 350 lbs. The RV dealership said that if i used a weight distribution Hitch, I could increase my tow weight to 4000 lbs and my hitch weight limit to 400 lbs. Has anyone heard of this? Is that actually possible to increase those weight limits with a WDH?
Sponsored

NoahVD

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
I have heard it described that the tongue weight is split into thirds with a weight distribution hitch. So 1/3 to the front axle, 1/3 to the rear axle, and 1/3 to the trailer axle. I know other people on here have towed more than the factory rating and they have felt safe.

DesertRat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4 Door Sport S 2020 JT Sport S
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
No. Some rear axle weight is transferred to front axle and trailer axle, but same hitch weight. So at 400, you are over.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
Draw-Tite sells a receiver rated at 675lb tw/4500lb gtw (part number 76104) ... Exceeding mfg ratings are a ymmv kind of deal though.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Drytellsr

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
ok thanx everyone for helping me with that. Now I would like to ask another question about weight distribution. I found a Geo-pro 15-TB which weighs about 2500 lbs. well within the weight limit, but it has a Hitch weight of 366 lbs. now this exceeds the safe hitch weight. This unit has Two 20lbs propane tanks on the front. If i remove those off the front A frame and stow them over the Axle while in transit, would that reduce my hitch weight? sounds quite basic and logical. Anyone have a thought on this?

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
The problem you’re going to run into with that camper is the frontal area. 32 sq-ft is the towing limit for JLU

The dimensions I can find on the Geo-pro 15TB are 9’7” tall and 7’4” wide... that’s 70 sq-ft.

Now I’m guessing the camper floor is maybe about a foot off the ground, but that would still put you at 63 sq-ft. I’d definitely do some in person measuring, but that looks way too big for a Wrangler.

Last edited:

Griff71

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JLUR
I'm looking to tow an RPOD 178 (rent) and working on getting a WDH. Though I expect to have my MC 3.5 Lift installed and 37" tires (already installed).

Looking for recommendations on the WDH I should get along with what I should expect as far as the drop hitch to ensure the trailer is level. Any recommendations?

WDH I've looked at so far from trailer:
  • Reese
  • Curt
  • Equal-i-zer
Thanks in advance.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
When I was considering a travel trailer, I read an article about how FCA got the towing capacity up to 7k on the Gladiator. The front grill has the vertical slots slightly wider and the mesh of the grill allows more air thru. The fan also has a larger air flow volume. There were undoubtably other changes, but that was the changes that I recall. I was going to buy a empty trailer at the limit and obviously tow it equipped and 'wet' over the JL limit.

Griff71

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JLUR
When I was considering a travel trailer, I read an article about how FCA got the towing capacity up to 7k on the Gladiator. The front grill has the vertical slots slightly wider and the mesh of the grill allows more air thru. The fan also has a larger air flow volume. There were undoubtably other changes, but that was the changes that I recall. I was going to buy a empty trailer at the limit and obviously tow it equipped and 'wet' over the JL limit.
Not sure how this is helping to understand your experience on a weight distribution hitch.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Not sure how this is helping to understand your experience on a weight distribution hitch.
There was discussion related to the weight dist hitch about towing over the JL tow limit. I shared what I read about the JL's tow limitations and how the JT raised the tow limits.

So, how is your questioning my post helping to understand a w/d hitch?

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
As the second poster said, WD hitch will help to restore some of the weight back to the steering axle and some of the weight back to the trailer axle. This will level out your Jeep and help keep the axle and tire ratings within spec. These are more important than the hitch weight limitation of steps are taken to strengthen the hitch receiver.

In order to do this spring bars are used which apply a lot of torque to the receiver. This is the weak point in the system. It is not strong enough to resist this twisting moment.

I had a reputable hitch shop add some square steel tubing and a steel frame cross piece to add the needed strength. It works. I had them do this on my JKU and they bent the steel tubing around the muffler. To make a better job on my JLU I removed the muffler and added a small muffler behind the resonator and an an over the axle straight pipe. (Sounds great.)

Jeep Wrangler JL Weight distribution Hitch JL Hitch 1

Jeep Wrangler JL Weight distribution Hitch JL Hitch 2

Jeep Wrangler JL Weight distribution Hitch JL Hitch 3

Jeep Wrangler JL Weight distribution Hitch JL Hitch 4

Jeep Wrangler JL Weight distribution Hitch JL Hitch 5

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Towing over the manufacturers ratings in any category leaves you in Litigation Hell should you be in an accident, regardless of " fault". The JL and JT are two entirely different platforms for towing, by design.
"Can " and " Should " have been covered many times, it comes down to personal responsibility for the safety of others.
The welds in that " modification " are ....noteworthy.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Towing over the manufacturers ratings in any category leaves you in Litigation Hell should you be in an accident, regardless of " fault". The JL and JT are two entirely different platforms for towing, by design.
"Can " and " Should " have been covered many times, it comes down to personal responsibility for the safety of others.
The welds in that " modification " are ....noteworthy.
There's some exposure if you were to be at fault and were sued, and a sharp plaintiff's lawyer caught onto it. No question. But then, the same could be said for large tires like 35, 37, 40 etc and their stopping distance effect, lifts and their rollover risk, etc.

Agree on the welds. Some cold spots and lack of penetration. But, as they say, they'll probably be ok.
Sponsored

Last edited: