Weighing In . . .

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
I know others have already placed their rigs on a truck scale to get accurate weight records of their modifications, but it seems as though the data is spread across multiple threads. Knowing that diesels are 400-600 pounds heavier than non-diesels and the resultant hit they take on payload capacity compared with the gassers , I thought it would be helpful if this data were more accessible in a specific thread.

Unfortunately, I did not get a baseline weight measurement before I started modifying my rig, but since I soon plan on lifting my rig and running on 37"s I thought I had better get a clear picture of where I'm at before these changes take place.

I have a Rubicon model with hard top, steel bumpers, MOPAR reinforced gate hinge with a corresponding GVWR of 6100 lbs and Payload capacity of 850 lbs.

Shortly after taking delivery, I added a Warn Zeon 10S winch, ARB twin air compressor (mounted under the front passenger seat), RSE Rock Sliders, Icom 2730 ham radio and Cobra 75WX CB radio. This represents my current configuration.

With this info at hand, I filled my fuel and DEF tanks and proceeded to my nearest CAT scale. Here are the current numbers . . .

Front Axle: 2820 lb
Rear Axle: 2540 lb
Gross Weight: 5360 lbs

My body weight is NOT reflected in the above numbers, but it does include my current spare (stock) tire on the back. I am quite concerned that with the planned lift and modifications in the near future, I will undoubtedly go over the GVWR rating when I put my usual recovery & everyday carry gear, 1-passenger and myself inside the vehicle.

Does anyone know if it is possible to modify the vehicle in such a way that would permit an increase in the GVWR?
Sponsored

OP
OP
AZ-Chris

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aluminum bumpers would probably save you some weight.
Undoubtedly. Will start investigating alternatives that will work with the back-up censors on the rear bumper. I may also start investigating removal of one of the rear seats and replacing a flat loading floor.

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
GVWR is set by the manufacturer, you can't modify that. So, the easiest thing to do is go off the GAWR. Mine says 5800lb GVWR and also says 3100lb per axle, so that gives me 400lb more than the GVWR. See what your door jam says for GAWR and add the 2 together. That will give you a better idea what weight you can carry.

JeepVT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
GVWR is set by the manufacturer, you can't modify that. So, the easiest thing to do is go off the GAWR. Mine says 5800lb GVWR and also says 3100lb per axle, so that gives me 400lb more than the GVWR. See what your door jam says for GAWR and add the 2 together. That will give you a better idea what weight you can carry.
I like your answer.

Sponsored

OP
OP
AZ-Chris

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The GAWR for each axle is shown as 3100 lbs. But the door sticker also clearly states that payload should never exceed 850 lb.

While I think the diesel Rubicon could handle the additional weight, I don't think its wise to exceed the manufacturer's specifications.

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
The GAWR for each axle is shown as 3100 lbs. But the door sticker also clearly states that payload should never exceed 850 lb.

While I think the diesel Rubicon could handle the additional weight, I don't think its wise to exceed the manufacturer's specifications.
Go with 6200lb as your max weight and you’ll be fine, currently giving you 820lb to play with. The diesel Jeep can actually handle “less” as the GVWR and GAWR have nothing to do with the diesel being able to push the extra weight around. The diesel weighs more and thus, less payload due to GAWR/GVWR limitations.

SLK RCK

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR

What exactly are "we" worried about?

Legit concerns IMO would be excess wear on components not designed or tested beyond a specific load, or being way over and having an significant accident with a insurance company that is looking for a way out. Both of these are CBA or risk/gain decisions and can be argued from your tolerance to risk or cost.

Weak concerns IMO would be, I can't exceed the manufacturers somewhat arbitrary or business driven limit, or throwing the safety card. These arguments will likely be heavily weighted toward opinion, not facts.

I can easily provide first hand knowledge of equivalent limits in aviation by more than one manufacturer if interested.

As for operating beyond the GVWR, you'll be one of thousands safely operating in excess of that number. Most of whom have no idea and could care less.

As for changing the GVWR, not technically. You can effectively change the GVWR if you knew the limiting factor, and improved that system, but no, there's no magic pill to increase GVWR.

OP
OP
AZ-Chris

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I intend to modify my rig with the gear I need to enjoy myself with. That said, I do not want to intentionally exceed the limitations specified by the manufacturer. I'm a mechanical engineer with an extensive background in aviation and know that manufacturers published limitations are to be respected, to do otherwise invites problems.

BTW, GVWR CAN be modified by those willing to conduct the R&D necessary to prove their ratings. If, for instance, a higher capacity braking system would allow for a higher GVWR, I would strongly consider it as part of my mod plans. However, I doubt it would be as simple as just that. My current thoughts are that the weight and towing ratings of JLU are more strongly influenced by wheelbase and suspension parameters, but I am hopeful that someone with specific information on this front could help out here.

Sponsored

NCJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Thinking GVWR and GCWR are set by lawyers/insurance. Do not think it can be changed.

Oddly the UK version of the JLU has a tow rating of #5500. Thinking this applies to all non North American JLU’s.

Jeep Wrangler JL Weighing In . . . FCF1CB51-A44D-4FFE-851D-3B1E694F22C3

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Thinking GVWR and GCWR are set by lawyers/insurance. Do not think it can be changed.

Oddly the UK version of the JLU has a tow rating of #5500. Thinking this applies to all non North American JLU’s.

Jeep Wrangler JL Weighing In . . . FCF1CB51-A44D-4FFE-851D-3B1E694F22C3
The UK has a strict speed limit of 60MPH for any vehicle with a trailer. This overrides any other speed limit of the road they're on. It's a lot easier to tow at slower speeds.

Can you imagine forcing people to tow at 60MPH in the US?

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
The UK has a strict speed limit of 60MPH for any vehicle with a trailer. This overrides any other speed limit of the road they're on. It's a lot easier to tow at slower speeds.

Can you imagine forcing people to tow at 60MPH in the US?
Lol, it's 55 in California, absolutely nobody obeys it though.

OP
OP
AZ-Chris

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your GVWR 6100 minus the 850 max payload is 5250 base weight ? If that is correct and yours weighs 5350 you've only added 100 lbs. Thats pretty good, you've still got 750 lbs. available.
Yeah, but I've got to include me, my wife, edc & recovery gear, AND five 37" wheel/tires, etc. I'm planning on towing a 3500 lb trailer (10% tongue weight on the bumper) . . . that will easily put me over 6100 lbs.

I may have to consider carrying the spare tire on the trailer when towing . . .