Sponsored

Wear your seatbelt folks!

Nailgun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Over the long weekend it was reported in the news a front passenger was ejected from a JLU who failed to wear a seat belt . The driver of the Jeep was drunk and ran a red striking a family in a sedan. A predictable outcome.

Jeep Wrangler JL Wear your seatbelt folks! a100.JPG

The hard top doesn't do much for you when you don't use the belt.
Sponsored

Pepe My Little Mule

First Name
J.D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Jeep 4.7L; 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Always wear seatbelts regardless. Depending on speed, sudden extreme loss of speed, inertia, impact rollover etc your body can still submarine out from under the lap belt and be injured and even ejected.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
My 20 year old stepdaughter always wears her seatbelt when in the front, however, she magically feels totally safe in the back seat without her seatbelt... I have to threaten to not leave the driveway if she doesn't put it on to get her to wear it... And she's an EMT, and going to school to be a doctor... I don't know why people think the back seat is any safer than the front... In a rollover crash, front/rear/side impact, etc, you are just as much at risk as anyone else.

Sponsored

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Is it just me, or does the front windshield appear to be completely intact?

Jeep Wrangler JL Wear your seatbelt folks! Jeep_Enlarged

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Over the long weekend it was reported in the news a front passenger was ejected from a JLU who failed to wear a seat belt . The driver of the Jeep was drunk and ran a red striking a family in a sedan. A predictable outcome.

a100.JPG

The hard top doesn't do much for you when you don't use the belt.
Just so folks are clear: the incident above occurred in Canada and is not related to the OP, which appears to have occurred in Florida.

I can't find any indication that the Florida crash involved alcohol. Here's how the news describes it.

“It appears two vehicles were eastbound,” Flagler Beach Police Chief Matt Doughney said, “a vehicle traveling west may have turned left in front of them and may have caused a chained reaction between the two eastbound vehicles.
The vehicles involved were a Jeep SUV, a Toyota Tacoma pick-up truck, and a compact Toyota Scion. The driver of the Jeep Monday evening said the scion had made the turn that violated the Jeep’s and the pick-up’s right of way, doing so coming off the bridge, onto John Anderson Highway southbound.
“As of right now, no fatalities, we hope it stays that way,” Doughney said.
Two people were reported thrown from the Jeep. The child was extricated from the vehicle by rescuers. The child’s age is not known. Witnesses reported one or two victims being ejected. One ended up in the road, one in the grass. (A previous version of this article had incorrectly included the child as among those thrown from the vehicle.)

DogsRule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JL
a100.JPG

Why is it people's shoes get ejected in accidents? And now cars too? I mean, the tire came completely off the wheel and yet didn't roll away? Sheeeze.

My little town of 6 miles square is going largely to roundabouts. Accidents down over 80%.
Otherwise the main street would be 9 lanes across and turn into another raceway.

Last edited:

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Is it just me, or does the front windshield appear to be completely intact?

Jeep Wrangler JL Wear your seatbelt folks! Jeep_Enlarged
It could be. A lot of folks think that because it's glass and not metal that it's not a structural component, but the windshield is a structural component of the "cage".

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
And we will pay the higher premiums after those who choose to not belt up are ejected and killed.

Others’ idiocy literally costs the rest of us money.
Yes, because freedom isn't free. Freedom is based on profit and loss margins and return on investment. Freedom is based on how much it's going to cost. Right Patriot.

Sponsored

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, because freedom isn't free. Freedom is based on profit and loss margins and return on investment. Freedom is based on how much it's going to cost. Right Patriot.

Freedom means consequences to ignoring basic vehicle safety... Those consequences affect people besides the person enjoying their "freedoms"... Operating a vehicle automatically means you abide by rules and laws... That's part of the agreement of obtaining a driver's license to drive on public highways paid for by tax dollars.

Sidewalk

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
I used to think "green means go" but now know "green means check that no one else is going to blow their red".
The shit I see when I am bicycle commuting. Luckily, I likely won't see the bumper that ends my life...

she magically feels totally safe in the back seat without her seatbelt
My GF's teenagers never wear their seatbelts in the back seat. I have to remind the GF to tell them. I think their dad has convinced them that seatbelts don't do anything so no point wearing them. Not surprising, dad also seems to think that speed limits are speed minimums.

Sad but annoying. Reason I bought the JLR was because my last car was totaled. I was rear ended at a dead stop by a car going about 65 (he never slowed down), my little economy car was smashed between his and the car ahead and I literally walked away. Though if I did have passengers in the back, they would be dead.

Espy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 Sport
I don't know why people think the back seat is any safer than the front
When I lived in CA, a neighbor was CHP.

He told us about a head-on collision; 3 of 4 in the car that was in it's lane were wearing seatbelts. The driver, wearing his seatbelt, died when the rear passenger, not wearing his seatbelt, slammed into the back of his head. Similar to the Dale Earnhardt injury.

Wear your seatbelts, even in the back seat.

Sidewalk

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
The driver, wearing his seatbelt, died when the rear passenger, not wearing his seatbelt, slammed into the back of his head. Similar to the Dale Earnhardt injury.
Similar story, my ex worked at an emergency veterinary hospital years ago as the overnight tech. She had a dog come in by a fireman. Come to find out that the dog was in the back seat when the driver was in a wreck. Dog flew forward killing the driver and was then ejected. Somehow survived, but in rough shape.

Family of the deceased refused care. Fireman paid the vet bills.

Between that and almost rolling my Bronco II on the trails with my dog, we started using harnesses for the pups.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
The shit I see when I am bicycle commuting. Luckily, I likely won't see the bumper that ends my life...

My GF's teenagers never wear their seatbelts in the back seat. I have to remind the GF to tell them. I think their dad has convinced them that seatbelts don't do anything so no point wearing them. Not surprising, dad also seems to think that speed limits are speed minimums.

Sad but annoying. Reason I bought the JLR was because my last car was totaled. I was rear ended at a dead stop by a car going about 65 (he never slowed down), my little economy car was smashed between his and the car ahead and I literally walked away. Though if I did have passengers in the back, they would be dead.
This is why texting and driving should be prosecuted the same as drunk driving. Most states require that children ride in the back seat until a certain age or weight. Not good when combined with a texting driver who never touches the brake coming up on stopped traffic.
Sponsored