Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Unless I missed it, the story doesn't indicate if seatbelts were worn. But, if people were thrown out I would tend to lean toward the assumption they were not.

Still boggles my mind that people drive around without seatbelts. It's muscle memory for me.

Jtclayton612

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Friend works in trauma as a surgeon and the outlook for those who get ejected from vehicles is always pretty terrifying if they don’t come in DOA.

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Doesn’t look like a terribly violent rollover. The structure of the roof appears to be largely intact. Seems quite survivable if you aren’t ejected.

Some people seem to have a weird attitude that Jeep = total freedom and normal rules don’t apply. I agree that Jeeps are a way to find freedom and use mine to explore all over the place. However, the laws of physics don’t care if you’re driving a Wrangler.

Hearhear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus, 392 XR Wrangler
Oh that was a 392 V8 model. I have a 392 XR and feel weird sometimes on the highway going at high speed. Feels like one jerk of the wheel at high speed and flipping is almost guaranteed. Seatbelts yes, definitely, but also be safe when approaching intersections and driving at high speed. Slow down like an old fart in those Jeeps if you have to.

Sponsored

smokeythecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport 2-door, 2019 Mini Cooper S
Still boggles my mind that people drive around without seatbelts. It's muscle memory for me.
The last time I visited my country relatives in Iowa they were still not wearing seatbelts. I had to dig around underneath the seat to find mine. To top it off, one of those relative's son was in an accident and in a bizarre twist the highway patrolman said he probably would have been severely injured if he had been wearing his seatbelt. I'm sure that cemented their anti-seatbelt stance.

JuzaMe

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vmcrugbychairs.com
Vehicle(s)
1989 YJ, 2005 Duramax, 2022 JLURD(ordered 1/17/22)
Occupation
Working on being a burden to my children.
Article states 3 occupants thrown from vehicle, then later states the child was extricated from the vehicle, so at least 2 were not wearing seat belts...just can't fix stupid!

ogo

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Hydro Blue JULRD
Occupation
Systems Administrator
Unless I missed it, the story doesn't indicate if seatbelts were worn. But, if people were thrown out I would tend to lean toward the assumption they were not.

Agreed, driving without a seatbelt just feels weird to me at this point

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini '20 JL Freedom, '99 Dakota R/T, '97 Boxster
Oh that was a 392 V8 model. I have a 392 XR and feel weird sometimes on the highway going at high speed. Feels like one jerk of the wheel at high speed and flipping is almost guaranteed. Seatbelts yes, definitely, but also be safe when approaching intersections and driving at high speed. Slow down like an old fart in those Jeeps if you have to.
It is good to have a healthy respect for how poor a chassis the wrangler truly is for a high performance drivetrain.

I grew up with a 5.9 grand cherokee, worked at a Jeep dealership when the SRT-8 came out, had plenty of experience building and racing trucks. Eventually you learn some platforms really are better off in the right lane. The fast jeeps are a fun novelty, and its neat Jeep produced them, but they are not sports cars and should not be driven like one, especially around traffic that is more capable in braking and turning.

Sponsored

Canucklesammich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
It is good to have a healthy respect for how poor a chassis the wrangler truly is for a high performance drivetrain.

I grew up with a 5.9 grand cherokee, worked at a Jeep dealership when the SRT-8 came out, had plenty of experience building and racing trucks. Eventually you learn some platforms really are better off in the right lane. The fast jeeps are a fun novelty, and its neat Jeep produced them, but they are not sports cars and should not be driven like one, especially around traffic that is more capable in braking and turning.
IIRC, that's why Jeep won't put the 392 in a 2 door...too unstable.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I often don't wear a belt. The life you save may be your own.

utjmac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited 392
This was someone's son in one of our other 392 groups. He was effectively T-boned, as the owner described, and with folks still in the hospital, please keep the family in your thoughts and prayers.

Be safe out there!

Benny

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S Ocean Blue, 2012 Dodge Challenger
When I was young and had cars I never wore a seatbelt.
I bought my first Jeep a 88' YJ and It didn't take long before I always used a seatbelt.
I'm not sure what was worse my YJ or Dad's postal jeep on a tight curve.

I hope the people in that jeep all get well soon.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
He was effectively T-boned, as the owner described,
I used to think "green means go" but now know "green means check that no one else is going to blow their red".
Sponsored