Sponsored

Weak Throttle Response on Manual Transmission Models?

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
True.
I don't have too much of a problem shifting, the tranny is good with it even though it's a cable shifter
This is a cable shifter?! That's pretty impressive.

I actually got this topic in my head, and spent some time doing some digging on this one. Would it actually be realistically possible to edit the gear ratios? Short answer is I have no idea.

Unlike the 40 year old beaters I'm used to wrenching on, there just isn't much info about this transmission out there yet. It's kind of a black box.
Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

I actually got this topic in my head, and spent some time doing some digging on this one. Would it actually be realistically possible to edit the gear ratios? Short answer is I have no idea.

Unlike the 40 year old beaters I'm used to wrenching on, there just isn't much info about this transmission out there yet. It's kind of a black box.
With access to a machine shop you could definitely fabricate new gear sets. However your talking big big bucks

traxtion

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Manual Rubicon
giphy.gif

Must go faster. (Push the skinny peddle!)

This motor likes to spin. Mine is also doing well on 87 here above 5000 feet (our mid grade). I'd be using 91 octane at lower elevations. It's a high compression motor and runs better with the good stuff.
Same here - have exhaustively tested fuel types with these manuals at various altitudes. 87 at 5000' + shifting around 3400rpms makes the 3.6 sing. Below that and it gets cranky.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
truck driver
With access to a machine shop you could definitely fabricate new gear sets. However your talking big big bucks
Getting the gears is the easy part. I know a guy with a crazy awesome machine shop, and he sold me a Subaru that totally took a dump within a month, so he owes me one. :CWL:

(After it took a dump, I gave it to my wife's boyfriend. She was over here the other day signing the title to the truck I paid off, and mentioned that fact, as though it were somehow my responsibility to help the guy out with a broken down POS that I gave the useless broke asshole for free. It took me awhile, but instead of wondering how I went wrong for my 27 year marriage to end so abruptly and catastrophically, I wonder how I put up with that woman and her nonsense for almost 30 years. She has found her ideal life partner for sure. I just wish I could find mine. :()

The problem is getting the gears installed. I don't have a clue about this gearbox, or what that would involve. It's probably way more than I could ever handle anyway, but it irritates me that I don't KNOW. I even went to the Aisin website trying to find technical data, and they just have a blurb that basically says it's a transmission, and it has gears. Thanks.

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
Spot on. It's a great transmission, put why the hell they made reverse so damn high is mind boggling. I looked into it to see if there are lower gear options for R but didn't find anything, not surprising I guess since it's new and not used in other applications too much. If you make one you could probably sell the hell out of it, haha, I'd buy it.
I have a Rubicon 6sp and when I first got it I similarly felt that reverse could have been shorter but was still acceptable (at least on stock "33"s). However, when in 4lo I think that reverse is maybe even too slow in some situations (on Rubicon 4.10s). On 3.45s I could imagine that reverse, particularly up hills, is suboptimal. If you have tried reverse in 4lo, would like to hear your (and others) opinions on it (along with your gear ratio).

In any case, unless Jeep starts putting manual transmissions with two reverse gears, it is going to be hard to find the single magic ratio that works perfect for every situation (on-road, off road, uphill, fast flats, bigger tires, smaller tires, etc). That said, with my 4.10s on stock tires it is pretty well balanced in my opinion.

I think the right solution for Jeep would be make 4.10s a standard option in ALL manual transmission vehicles. I honestly think that if they did that they would sell more manuals.

Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I have a Rubicon 6sp and when I first got it I similarly felt that reverse could have been shorter but was still acceptable (at least on stock "33"s). However, when in 4lo I think that reverse is maybe even too slow in some situations (on Rubicon 4.10s). On 3.45s I could imagine that reverse, particularly up hills, is suboptimal. If you have tried reverse in 4lo, would like to hear your (and others) opinions on it (along with your gear ratio).

In any case, unless Jeep starts putting manual transmissions with two reverse gears, it is going to be hard to find the single magic ratio that works perfect for every situation (on-road, off road, uphill, fast flats, bigger tires, smaller tires, etc). That said, with my 4.10s on stock tires it is pretty well balanced in my opinion.

I think the right solution for Jeep would be make 4.10s a standard option in ALL manual transmission vehicles. I honestly think that if they did that they would sell more manuals.
Agreed completely. 3.45 gears on a Jeep is like putting Prius tires on a 911. All the potential in the world and a crippling handicap

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
i will say that after driving for the first time with my a/c blasting today, this thing is a DOG :LOL:

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR

I did the same, since it's a newly developed trans there isn't much info, or aftermarket support, or even other gear options from different use-cases of this transmission (i.e. other brands using it, but having it optioned with different gear sets we could steal).
But yeah, I'm pretty sure I had read it was a cable shifter, I guess I should look to be sure I'm not wrong here.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Getting the gears is the easy part. I know a guy with a crazy awesome machine shop, and he sold me a Subaru that totally took a dump within a month, so he owes me one. :CWL:

(After it took a dump, I gave it to my wife's boyfriend. She was over here the other day signing the title to the truck I paid off, and mentioned that fact, as though it were somehow my responsibility to help the guy out with a broken down POS that I gave the useless broke asshole for free. It took me awhile, but instead of wondering how I went wrong for my 27 year marriage to end so abruptly and catastrophically, I wonder how I put up with that woman and her nonsense for almost 30 years. She has found her ideal life partner for sure. I just wish I could find mine. :()

The problem is getting the gears installed. I don't have a clue about this gearbox, or what that would involve. It's probably way more than I could ever handle anyway, but it irritates me that I don't KNOW. I even went to the Aisin website trying to find technical data, and they just have a blurb that basically says it's a transmission, and it has gears. Thanks.
Don't worry Michael, you'll land on your feet and the sun always comes back out. Hang in there buddy. You'll find a better one.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
truck driver
Don't worry Michael, you'll land on your feet and the sun always comes back out. Hang in there buddy. You'll find a better one.
I'm sad to say, I'm afraid I no longer have any hope of that ever happening. I just try not to think about it. It just leads to dark thoughts.

My Jeep, now, my Jeep doesn't lead to dark thoughts.

Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I'm sad to say, I'm afraid I no longer have any hope of that ever happening. I just try not to think about it. It just leads to dark thoughts.

My Jeep, now, my Jeep doesn't lead to dark thoughts.
I’ve always believed there’s someone for everyone but I will drop the subject and don’t wanna bring you down. Talk anytime.

Yes these Jeep’s do make us feel good. I don’t start work until 9:00 am these days which leaves me a couple of hours to myself in the morning. It’s 6:18. This morning’s project: I’m gonna get up, brush teeth, get dressed, go down to the garage, back out that beautiful machine and pull the doors off. I’m food shopping after work and it’s supposed to be a nice weekend here in NY.
Everything recreational revolves around my Jeep. I’m glad it’s clean or that’d been this morning’s project.

Keep your smile my brother.

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
[snip]
But yeah, I'm pretty sure I had read it was a cable shifter, I guess I should look to be sure I'm not wrong here.
I can confirm it is a cable shifter, had my console apart last weekend for a CB/GMRS radio install. I can also confirm pulling the shifter knob is a stone bitch unless you have a gear/bearing separator to get some leverage.

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR

Yeah since the rubicon has the lower geared transfer case, reverse is fine in 4LO on 33s unless you need wheel speed, like stuck in snow (and some types of mud), then it's wayyy too low.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
truck driver
I’ve always believed there’s someone for everyone but I will drop the subject and don’t wanna bring you down. Talk anytime.
The longer I go as a single man, the more I have to make the reluctant admission that I already found the someone for me. I had my shot, and I used it up. Now I'm done.

It really wasn't much of a shot, and in the long run, I'm better off without her. It's just lonely sometimes.

Monkeynono

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Try starting on a steep hill... With the lack of low end torque you only have 2 choices... 5k rpm clutch drop or 4lo both suck. I completely understand the engine likes to rev but how does that help going up my driveway?

I have a Rubi w/33's and the 6spd and I am considering putting 4.88 gears in it. All the talk about how you need to scream the motor to get it to work is just doesn't work with what I need, highway yes woods no.
Sponsored