Sponsored

Weak Throttle Response on Manual Transmission Models?

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
Well that sucks... I have a 2 dr JLR manual on order
I have a 2021 2dr JLR w/6sp and I think it runs great and has been more than fast enough for me.

I came from a turbocharged sedan which was far faster than any standard Jeep except for the 392. I was perfectly content going to a slower vehicle when I opted for my JL, reality is Jeeps just aren't fast. Personally, if someone is set on going fast, I would wonder why a Jeep would even be on their list. Even the 392, while fast for a Jeep, isn't fast at that price point; there are a lot of other vehicles that would smoke it. Challenger Hellcat, Audi RS5, BMW M3, and many others. All 0-60 in less than 4 seconds compared to 392's 4.5s time. I could buy a Tesla Model 3 performance and go 0-60 in just over 3 seconds and still have >$20K left in my pocket not including additional savings from not having to buy gas.

It is possible OP has a real issue with their throttle/ECU/engine/transmission and in that case hopefully they can get it resolved.
Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
As Tim said in the above post, my manual Jeep has plenty of punch for me. The few times I really had to get somewhere and pushed my Jeep? It had plenty of torque and power. Enough that if I went any harder it would have been flat out dangerous on city streets. If someone is looking for the kind of power and take off to spin your rear wheels then once again as Tim stated, maybe a Jeep isn’t for you.
I’ve seen the 392 Hemi Jeep video where it’s peeling rubber. I remember thinking I wouldn’t do that even once if I owned one.
When I off road in the woods, 4 low and first gear have plenty of power for me.

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
I've got a 2021 JLR with the software update. Prior to that I was driving a 2012 JLR. Both on 33" tires, so this is about as apples-to-apples as you can get. If anything, the 2021 is up on torque and power, it drives fantastic on the street.

I haven't had the 2021 off road yet, and only took the 2012 on one trip to Moab where I found that there were times I would have liked more low end torque. I feel like the 4.10 gears in the Rubicon are a must if you want a manual transmission.

TheKeither

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Willy's Sport
It's an issue in the 3.45.

So I want to let it rev, but every time it screams at RPMS over 2500 and just feels wrong. What do you think about that? Should I just let it scream and keep the revs high?
Yes, YES!

Its not screaming. Its BREATHING! Even at 4000 rpms, you are still only at 60% of the redline!

Jeep Wrangler JL Weak Throttle Response on Manual Transmission Models? 1620913009128

cripton805

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport w/ 6sp
I traded my JLU Sport. It was the best decision I've made. I got an Auto JT Willys.

The JLU Sport was geared wrong from the factory. You shouldn't have to get to 4k rpm to get power out of it. Thr auto trans feels fine around 2k. Good pick up and go. The only time I have gone full throttle on the JT was when I was testing it. I was full throttle on the JLU every single time I drove it. Constantly fishing for gears too. Up and down. 2 gears down 2 gears up. It has terrible gearing.

I considered dropping 2k for a re-gear. I didn't want to risk trading it in anyway. Although I prefer driving stick and actually enjoyed going offroad with the stick.

Sponsored

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
My usual commute is ~ 30 miles. I average between 21.5 and 22.0 mpg. I'm pleasantly surprised!
That is great! I am going to try letting it breath more. My gas mileage has been 16mpg and I think its because I'm lugging the motor, too low a gear.

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport (sold), 2021 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
No complaints on the 6spd on my 2021 JLR.

I came from a 2012 JK sport with the 3.21 gears on 33s. Compared to that? My new Rubi with the 4.10 on 33s is a massive upgrade. The transmission is honestly one of the things that impressed me the most in the improvement department.

Had it about a week so far. Settling in and getting a good feel for it by now. Yes, reverse is still annoying, but not as bad as the JK.

You absolutely have to let it rev, don't be shy on the skinny pedal when you're trying to accelerate. But.. it's not a sports car. Not going to be blowing the doors off the nearby cars at stoplights. And expect to run at higher revs if you're on hills. Here in SoCal, you are going to lug it for sure if you're trying to go uphill at 2000rpm. But I haven't had any trouble finding power when I need it.

I also find that it's surprisingly subtle at low speeds, too. Nice for gently idling along on a flat trail, it really just carries itself along with zero effort.

It's definitely its own thing. It's nothing like either the manual trucks or sports cars I've owned. Takes some getting used to, but I like it. And worlds better than my experiences with automatics. I have zero regrets.

TheKeither

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Willy's Sport
That is great! I am going to try letting it breath more. My gas mileage has been 16mpg and I think its because I'm lugging the motor, too low a gear.
I was doing the same thing at first. I came from a 2010 Mazda 3 2.5L 6-speed. That thing wanted to get into 6th so fast to get maximum fuel efficiency.

Its when I noticed.....hey....3rd is getting better mpg than 4th @ ~35mph. Weird. I basically drive this thing like a 4 speed unless I'm going over 55mph.

Sponsored

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
Isn't lugging something that happens when transmission is in too high of a gear given the engine RPM? For example, if i am going 20mph and decide to shift to 6th gear and accelerate, that would be lugging, right? (btw, I don't do this because it isn't how a manual should be driven).

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Isn't lugging something that happens when transmission is in too high of a gear given the engine RPM? For example, if i am going 20mph and decide to shift to 6th gear and accelerate, that would be lugging, right? (btw, I don't do this because it isn't how a manual should be driven).
Yes. He meant too high a gear.

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
I was doing the same thing at first. I came from a 2010 Mazda 3 2.5L 6-speed. That thing wanted to get into 6th so fast to get maximum fuel efficiency.

Its when I noticed.....hey....3rd is getting better mpg than 4th @ ~35mph. Weird. I basically drive this thing like a 4 speed unless I'm going over 55mph.
Yeah that actually makes sense. I recall a few times I've driven in a low gear at high speeds with light throttle, and the mpgs rest at a nice spot on the indicator. When I change into 4th by 35mph, the mpg indicator will show 14mpg or less while attempting to get up to speed.