Sponsored

Weak Throttle Response on Manual Transmission Models?

Edslittleworld

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Rubi, '21 Crosstrek, '20 Miata, BMW moto's
I picked up a 2021 JL Rubicon (2-Door) with a 6-spd manual transmission after it sat in a staging area for several weeks. Apparently, there was a Recall (W12 or Y01) that said all JL models like mine needed the fuel injection to be remapped as there were apparently clutch wear issues with the throttle take-off being too aggressive. Well, I think they went too far the other way. Under 2000 rpm, my 3.6L is essentially powerless compared to my 2017 Wrangler with the same configuration. I mean gutless until the revs climb over 2500 rpm. I find it unsatisfactory. It now has 700 miles on it. Any others in this situation?
Sponsored

Last edited:

LunchBoxFab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I picked up a 2021 JL Rubicon (2-Door) with a 6-spd manual transmission after it sat in a staging area for several weeks. Apparently, there was a Recall (W12 or Y01) that said all JL models like mine needed the fuel injection to be remapped as there were apparently clutch wear issues with the throttle take-off being too aggressive. Well, I think they went too far the other way. Under 2000 rpm, my 3.6L is essentially powerless compared to my 2017 Wrangler with the same configuration. I mean gutless until the revs climb over 2500 rpm. I find it unsatisfactory. It now has 700 miles on it. Any others in this situation?
yeah, i had the same issues. the idrive pedal commander really helped dial in the pedal feel and response i was hoping for. the stock pedal input was wonky, at best.

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
The 3.6 with the 6spd is a pig under 2k RPMs, especially if you go up in tire size. I would think you’d have a better experience with the Rubi stock gearing than us Sport owners do though.

I haven’t had the remapping recall for the clutch issues done yet though.

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
what years did they start with the new curve. I have 2020 and mine seems to have this map ...I never took it to the dealer but is it posible they were doing this last year already?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Edslittleworld

Edslittleworld

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Rubi, '21 Crosstrek, '20 Miata, BMW moto's
Well that sucks... I have a 2 dr JLR manual on order
You may want to think twice, then. There are times when it's just gutless. If no flash (re)upgrade can be made...this slug may be kicked to the curb.

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
Well that sucks... I have a 2 dr JLR manual on order
I wouldn't worry about it. I test drove a new Rubi manual and I liked it so much that it made my decision to special order a JLR w/ the 3.6 & manual over taking the 2.0 automatic off the lot.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
🤔

Sorry to be Steve Jobs, here, but you’re holding it wrong.

Yes, if you lug the engine it’s “a pig.” Don’t do that. The 3.6 likes to rev. It doesn’t redline until 6,500… no need to ever keep rpm under 2000 like you’re doing.

Yes, 6th gear is useless in stock configuration. Yes, reverse is too tall.

My 6sp with 4.10’s (Rubicon) is excellent. I hear that with 3.45’s it’s not a great on-road experience.

Throttle response is not an issue.

Sponsored

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
This isn't a new issue. I had a 3.6 with the manual in my 2012 JK, the first year of the 3.6. It was gutless below 2k then too. And I had 3.21 gears which made it worse. A BullyDog tune made it better but regearing it was the only real solution.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
🤔

Yes, if you lug the engine it’s “a pig.” Don’t do that. The 3.6 likes to rev. It doesn’t redline until 6,500… no need to ever keep rpm under 2000 like you’re doing.

My 6sp with 4.10’s (Rubicon) is excellent. I hear that with 3.45’s it’s not a great on-road experience.

giphy.gif

Must go faster. (Push the skinny peddle!)

This motor likes to spin. Mine is also doing well on 87 here above 5000 feet (our mid grade). I'd be using 91 octane at lower elevations. It's a high compression motor and runs better with the good stuff.

JRINGO77

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I wouldn't worry about it. I test drove a new Rubi manual and I liked it so much that it made my decision to special order a JLR w/ the 3.6 & manual over taking the 2.0 automatic off the lot.
Same

JRINGO77

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
🤔

I agree. what small displacement gas engine has a bunch of torque at 2k rpm? Only vehicle I've ever had that did is my 6.7 powerstroke...not the same animal. I'm personally not looking at the dash when driving a stick it's by feel and sound.

wandrur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon
2021 JLUR with the manual transmission. Low RPM power is good for me. Sure, if you floor it in an upper gear, you don't exactly lurch forward, but other than the wonky dip at 45mph, it's got very good throttle response and is certainly tuned to be quicker than my 2018 JKU.
Sponsored