Sponsored

Weak Throttle Response on Manual Transmission Models?

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Try starting on a steep hill... With the lack of low end torque you only have 2 choices... 5k rpm clutch drop or 4lo both suck. I completely understand the engine likes to rev but how does that help going up my driveway?

I have a Rubi w/33's and the 6spd and I am considering putting 4.88 gears in it. All the talk about how you need to scream the motor to get it to work is just doesn't work with what I need, highway yes woods no.
THIS!!!

I have a steep driveway, backing up it is damn near a lesson in clutch smoking...haha

Try backing up a 2,000lb trailer, total joke, I have to reach down and pull it back into 4LO.

I've thought the same thing about a regear, I think 4:88s would be great. Get the little tuner that allows us to enable lockers in 4HI, we'd be set. Probably never use 4LO for anything not named rock crawling.
Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I don't understand how people can say the manual trans JL is a 'dog' unless they have 3.45 rear axle or maybe this is their first jeep(?). I'm running the heaviest 35's on the market (toyo mt) and it scoots pretty good with the rubicon 4.10's and 5.13 1st gear. Big, heavy tires just need a lower gear to get rolling initially then inertia takes over to an extent but the manual 1st gear gets them spinning nicely. I also live in the rockies so I'm going up and down some pretty serious grades at 6000+ ft. I'm about to throw their 37's on it and still don't think I'll have a big issue but 4.88/5.13's will probably help greatly. I'll be going from a 76lb E rated 35'' to a D rated 84 lb 37'' so... we'll see. I def wouldn't try anything over 37'' with 4.10's though. A regear is on my 'list'.

Monkeynono

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I don't understand how people can say the manual trans JL is a 'dog' unless they have 3.45 rear axle or maybe this is their first jeep(?). I'm running the heaviest 35's on the market (toyo mt) and it scoots pretty good with the rubicon 4.10's and 5.13 1st gear. Big, heavy tires just need a lower gear to get rolling initially then inertia takes over to an extent but the manual 1st gear gets them spinning nicely. I also live in the rockies so I'm going up and down some pretty serious grades at 6000+ ft. I'm about to throw their 37's on it and still don't think I'll have a big issue but 4.88/5.13's will probably help greatly. I'll be going from a 76lb E rated 35'' to a D rated 84 lb 37'' so... we'll see. I def wouldn't try anything over 37'' with 4.10's though. A regear is on my 'list'.
Nope, not my first and I got 4.10. my issue in only from a start. If I stop on my drivp (18* slope) I can not restart without slipping the hell out of the clutch (increasing the chance of overheating it) or using 4lo. While not a direct comparison....my yj with a TBI 350 (makes a whopping 180hp) 6:1 first gear 4.56 and 37s I can just ease the clutch out and start moving

Maybe you got lucky with yours?

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
While not a direct comparison....my yj with a TBI 350 (makes a whopping 180hp) 6:1 first gear 4.56 and 37s I can just ease the clutch out and start moving

Maybe you got lucky with yours?
yeah not exactly a direct comparison lmao, but yeah I haven’t had any issues. I just give it more gas and slip the clutch a bit more if needed. When this one starts slipping, a centerforce or south bend will replace it.

the stock flywheel is verylightweight. A heavier one and better gearing like your other Jeep would climb that 18 grade w/o pedal.

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Try starting on a steep hill... With the lack of low end torque you only have 2 choices... 5k rpm clutch drop or 4lo both suck. I completely understand the engine likes to rev but how does that help going up my driveway?

I have a Rubi w/33's and the 6spd and I am considering putting 4.88 gears in it. All the talk about how you need to scream the motor to get it to work is just doesn't work with what I need, highway yes woods no.
I’m telling you again. Turn the traction control off and it’s like night and day in that situation. I know from experience here. Try it.

Monkeynono

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
yeah not exactly a direct comparison lmao, but yeah I haven’t had any issues. I just give it more gas and slip the clutch a bit more if needed. When this one starts slipping, a centerforce or south bend will replace it.

the stock flywheel is verylightweight. A heavier one and better gearing like your other Jeep would climb that 18 grade w/o pedal.
I’m telling you again. Turn the traction control off and it’s like night and day in that situation. I know from experience here. Try it.
Been turned off from day one
Sponsored