Sponsored

We shouldn’t be responsible for the first two broken windshields!!!

Should Chrysler & MOPAR be held accountable for the first 2 windshield replacements?

• Total voters

abnormal4x4

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai
I wonder how much "free" replacement windshields would add to the cost of the vehicle.
Sponsored

abnormal4x4

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai
They're only responsible if something falls off their truck. Just kicking up a rock that's already on the road isn't their fault, nor should it be. But trying to prove the rock fell off their bed is probably pretty difficult unless you've got a 4K dash cam :)
I think everyone should have a dash cam...

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
I bought my 2021 JLR on May 20, 2021. On May 21, 2021 my windshield caught a rock and now, a month later, the crack is 26" wide. Gorilla Glass is available for around $1,000 but Jeep would charge $2,000 for it as an option. Why not just raise the MSRP by $1,000 (for Gorilla Glass they would buy for $400) and install Gorilla Glass on every JL. Problem generally solved.

sakimike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
I'm sure Jeep would be happy to charge an extra $1,000 for every trim to cover the cost of replacing your windshield for "free."

Reality check: NOTHING is ever free in life. Nothing.
First, we have to teach liberals that nothing is free.

Sponsored

KILROY_

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited, 2006 Dodge Charger Daytona "Bad Nanner" heavily modified, 2000 Ram 2500 V-10, 2018 Jeep Renegade
Vehicle Showcase
While traveling on the interstate I watched a large rock sail over the vehicle in front of me and hit me just below the top of the windshield. yeah it sucks but I was just glad it hit the glass which is easily fixed and not on the body mucking up my paint. By the time I got home from the trip the crack had progressed beyond repair.

I thought about upgrading to the Gorilla Glass since I was replacing the windshield anyways and asked the glass company about it. They did offer it but told me to be aware that they are unable to fix chips in gorilla glass so to take that into consideration before buying it. I haven't had the info confirmed elsewhere but it would be worth confirming before anyone springs for the more expensive option.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Maybe we should get free paint work for the front of the jeep when rocks chip the paint? If we are going to use the logic the OP wants??

As long as someone else pays it is all good right ;)

dennis2society

First Name
dennis2society
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys - SOT - Etorque V6
Occupation
Procrastinator
Maybe we should get free paint work for the front of the jeep when rocks chip the paint? If we are going to use the logic the OP wants??

As long as someone else pays it is all good right ;)
Didn't want to get back into this but couldn't resist given some of these trolly comments...

VNC starts with another ridiculous false equivalency argument - no real relation - no one is talking about any other part of the vehicle except for the upright windshield that tends to crack more often on wranglers. not paint or headlights or any other part of vehicle....

Also the unrelated dog whistle about "someone else paying" to show that writer is of the "right conservative bent" - So overplayed and boring - standard cry to arms out of the haters playbook...

Or even better, put together a comment with some substantive value to either help other readers or to continue conversation, or even just be entertaining - you were zero for three.

Hope you break every windshield you ever own. (My version of a troll comment - VNT take some lessons.)

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
If I do, will file a claim and get it repaired, not waste my time on some faux site to have people complain it is Jeeps fault and then go to forum asking others to sign on. But you fail to see the point of my comment, if some think Jeep should pay for free windshields when rocks chip them, then why not paint, just build it into the price so everyone pays more, but you missed the point!

dennis2society

First Name
dennis2society
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys - SOT - Etorque V6
Occupation
Procrastinator
If I do, will file a claim and get it repaired, not waste my time on some faux site to have people complain it is Jeeps fault and then go to forum asking others to sign on. But you fail to see the point of my comment, if some think Jeep should pay for free windshields when rocks chip them, then why not paint, just build it into the price so everyone pays more, but you missed the point!
I got your point -just thought it was dumb. It would also be dumb to to put a claim into JLwranglerforum.com to get your windshield fixed- so don't do that either.

Sponsored

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
After three years and driving mostly on loose stone roads daily I don't have a chip. What the hell are these people doing to their windshields?
Is anyone in front if you? If not, then of course you haven't got any chips.

My only one came at ~2k miles in NM after snow plows dirtied up the highway with small rocks. I was probably following the car in front of me too closely.

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Moijto 2005 TJ AEV Hemi
2005 TJ and 2019 JL both is have factory glass in them.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Just had a rock hit my JL windshield which cracked it two days ago. The hit was shockingly small. That said any upright windshield is very subject to damage. Local shop will replace with non OEM glass for $210. Probably won’t be the last windshield I buy for this ride....cost of owning a Jeep. Do I think Chrysler should reimburse me - heck no! I would be more happy if they would better care for issues they can control like bubbling paint, failed lockers, and defective steering.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
the outermost layer of the Gorilla Glass windshields is the same soda glass used on common windshields; it's the inner layer that's different.
so why should it be any different to repair a chip?

While traveling on the interstate I watched a large rock sail over the vehicle in front of me and hit me just below the top of the windshield. yeah it sucks but I was just glad it hit the glass which is easily fixed and not on the body mucking up my paint. By the time I got home from the trip the crack had progressed beyond repair.

I thought about upgrading to the Gorilla Glass since I was replacing the windshield anyways and asked the glass company about it. They did offer it but told me to be aware that they are unable to fix chips in gorilla glass so to take that into consideration before buying it. I haven't had the info confirmed elsewhere but it would be worth confirming before anyone springs for the more expensive option.
Sponsored