Sponsored

We shouldn’t be responsible for the first two broken windshields!!!

Should Chrysler & MOPAR be held accountable for the first 2 windshield replacements?

• Total voters

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Another triggered person who wants someone else to pay. Guess they offer Gorilla glass, will be interesting when we have another tread on what a waste of money that is as folks who opt for it get rocks thrown into their super duper gorilla glass and it chips too.
Sponsored

sanman357

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-*|||||||*- 19' Mojito! Rubicon 6-speed, 09' Ram TRX4, 67 Chevelle 300 Deluxe
Gorilla glass should be standard from the factory. Or go back to the non-acoustic windshield The Acoustic glass has too many layers making each layer too thin. A $95 charge (The cost of the upgrade) as a one time option, for anyone who was not able to get it installed from the factory, would be a good gesture.

Qjoh5510

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
My dealership threw in 2 free windshield replacements within the first 2 years of ownership with my purchase. I haven’t had to use it though. It expires next month lol

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
You had me until this line.

I've had several windscreen repairs and replacements performed through the years, all of which were funded in full by the Comprehensive line item in my State Farm automotive policy.
Because I have cheap insurance, and I like it that way. Having a policy like this means that you are definitely paying for your own glass, just in higher premiums to the insurance company instead of directly to the glass company.

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
My $0 glass coverage added $5 every 6 months to my comprehensive policy, so no, $10 a year isn't paying for my own glass. I've had two windshields with that policy that would have cost me combined $1200 out of pocket but I paid $0 beyond my premium. And guess what? My premiums went *down* the next renewal policy.

Because I have cheap insurance, and I like it that way. Having a policy like this means that you are definitely paying for your own glass, just in higher premiums to the insurance company instead of directly to the glass company.

Sponsored

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
My windshield cracked sitting in the driveway with less than 900 miles on it, which I should not be responsible for. And I wasn't. It was covered under warrantee (though it seemed to take forever for the new glass to come in).

Chips/cracks from impacts, FCA should not be responsible for.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
I had two windshields need to be replaced in 1 year ( I am a cautious driver and stay clear of trucks, tailgating etc..)...though they were covered by insurance. The only hassle is having to get another inspection sticker because here in RI they are made of paper there is no way to actually remove without destroying them when windshield needs to be replaced. RI law is to have it on the windshield or proof of inspection in vehicle which is fine if you feel like getting stopped every day and goin through that ..yes sir I have proof...anyway second windshield I asked for them to allow me to place sticker. I covered it in laminate and attached to windshield so when and if it happens again I can easily remove. Granted every inspection is another $60 bucks so done with that!
Then I ordered Racing Optics peel away laminate for the screen itself to somewhat help with stones, chips, cracks. It seems to help. Who knows, the last one .........I swear nothing ever hit it...I came out to go to work and started the Jeep and a crack appeared from the cowl under the wiper blade!!! I actually saw it appear and through my drive to work (45 minutes) I watched it get longer and longer got to work got out and looked at where it emenated and there was no impact mark like chip or abrasion just a crack. So do I think these windshields are flimsy, They wouldn't be offering the upgrade to Gorrilla if they weren't!

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
I did a bit of research on stronger and more durable windshields and found this website. Looks promising if they have what they claim.
https://hyperformanceglassproducts.com/
Expensive at $699, but it has a 2 year warranty on it if it breaks.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
It’s their choice of tire combined with high speed that’s kicking up road debris.
I've gotten mine every time by an 18 wheeler or dump truck kicking one up at me. Half of the dump trucks in Florida have "Not Responsible For Broken Windshields" stickers on the back of their trucks (BS). Luckily Florida requires comprehensive to cover the damage with a $0 deductible.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I've gotten mine every time by an 18 wheeler or dump truck kicking one up at me. Half of the dump trucks in Florida have "Not Responsible For Broken Windshields" stickers on the back of their trucks (BS). Luckily Florida requires comprehensive to cover the damage with a $0 deductible.
They're only responsible if something falls off their truck. Just kicking up a rock that's already on the road isn't their fault, nor should it be. But trying to prove the rock fell off their bed is probably pretty difficult unless you've got a 4K dash cam :)

Sponsored

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
They're only responsible if something falls off their truck. Just kicking up a rock that's already on the road isn't their fault, nor should it be. But trying to prove the rock fell off their bed is probably pretty difficult unless you've got a 4K dash cam :)
It just happens more often with Dump Trucks than any other vehicle on the road. I try to avoid them like the plague. However, many truck drivers aren't nearly as "Professional" as they should be, jockeying for lanes in gridlock traffic, passing the same cars over and over again with no chance of getting anywhere. This happened to me in my Jeep on I-4 last Friday going over to St. Petersburg (heading through Lakeland), luckily the rocks they threw up didn't damage my windshield. I hate having the factory windshield replaced, it really breaks my heart.

While not a dump truck, the vehicle below is hauling rocks on the INTERSTATE with no regard for the damage their load would cause. This was on my commute from Tampa to St. Pete years ago. REALLY? Luckily, Tampa traffic is horrible.

Jeep Wrangler JL We shouldn’t be responsible for the first two broken windshields!!! 44005411-8EBE-4AED-A55F-5442935A0A68_1_105_c

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

change.org for jeep windshields? lol. what is this world coming to? i guess we should start a Go Fund Me for people with cracked windshields.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

where on the interwebz has OP seen "thousands" of posts about cracked windshields? :movember:

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Cracked windshields are more a driver related issue and not so much a vehicle / vehicle design issue. Sure the Wrangler's upright front windshield is not a plus...

More often then not, had the driver brought into play some simple driving habits, the windshield strike would not have occurred.

SURE, sometimes chitt happens but again, more often then not you frucked up, driving behind a gravel truck, driving to close behind another Jeep or Semi, following anything to close on a gravel road, driving behind a trailer/truck with an excavator/backhoe on it .. etc.

And the guys/gals that don't learn how to .... and that think a Gorilla windshield is going to help you.... funny....
I drive like this and still had something crack mine big time.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
You had me until this line.

"Comprehensive line item, etc."

Comprehensive coverage, also know as full coverage, covers a lot more than just damaged glass. E.g., it paid to repair the sheet metal on my wife's SUV when a piece of detritus, pulled off of the vehicle in front of her at the car wash, got stuck in the spinning brush and damaged the bodywork on her vehicle after the wash cycle started. Imagine having to listen to the bang bang bang and not be able to pull away.

Comprehensive coverage is a voluntary addition to my policy, meaning I too could have cheap insurance if I wanted.

Yes, of course I'm paying in advance for any claims made against that line item, via the associated premium. Adding Comprehensive to my policy costs just a few dollars a month, though. This means that payout of a single claim -- like the aforementioned car wash fiasco -- can effectively pay me back for months or years at a time.
Sponsored

Reactions: VNT