We recommend you use Mopar® DOT 3 Brake Fluid, SAE J1709

21JLURDG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.0 Gecko
This is from my owner's manual. However, I can't find any Dot3 brake fluid that meets SAE J1709 standard. If I interpreted some web pages correctly, SAE J1709 standard was cancelled it 2006. Can anyone shed some clarity on the subject, besides "don't worry about it?"
Sponsored

OP
OP
21JLURDG

21JLURDG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good catch, it has to be a typo should be sae j1703… dot 3 is pretty much j1703. Dot 4 is j1704.
Is it? The web search came up with (I added emphasis):
"European Brake Fluid Technology(Cancelled Jul 2006) J1709_200607
This SAE Information Report provides an overview of brake fluid technology developed and marketed in Europe which offers enhanced wet and dry boiling point performance. The information contained within this document applies to hydraulic brake fluids utilized in automotive braking systems which are designed to be compatible with SAE J1703 (DOT 3) and SAE J1704 (DOT 4) fluids."
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but is it saying brake fluid that meets J1709 standard is compatible with DOT 3 & 4? Of course the cancelled statement would make this a moot point.

The profiles for you two indicates that you have a 2021 392 & 2020 JLUR. Do both of you have J1703 in your owner's manual were mine says J1709?

Sponsored

OP
OP
21JLURDG

21JLURDG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wrote an e-mail to FCA through the Jeep Wave support page. I asked if J1709 was a typographical mistake, and if it should have been DOT 3 J1703. This is the reply I received. I'm not sure I agree:

"Thank you for contacting Jeep Customer Care;
what I have found out is that you need to go to a DOT 4 brake fluid which will have a better performing brake system. I was not able to find any SAE number to provide to you just the MOPAR DOT 4 brake fluid. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need any further assistance by calling us at the number below.
Thank you again for your email, William. Have a great day.
Best wishes,
Randy | Jeep Customer Care"

I sent a second e-mail saying this didn't seem right and if they could ask engineering. This was the reply I got next:

"I spoke to the dealer and they are the ones that provided me the answer. The brake fluid has went from a DOT 3 to a DOT 4 which is a better brake fluid. This is the name of the dealer Peterson's Stampede Dodge and phone number (208) 475-3030 for the dealer also.
Randy
Jeep Customer Care.
ref:_00Dj01qsDF._5003Z1MhLGE:ref "

@JeepCares : Is this really the right answer to the owner's manual calling for DOT 3 J1709?

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
I wrote an e-mail to FCA through the Jeep Wave support page. I asked if J1709 was a typographical mistake, and if it should have been DOT 3 J1703. This is the reply I received. I'm not sure I agree:

"Thank you for contacting Jeep Customer Care;
what I have found out is that you need to go to a DOT 4 brake fluid which will have a better performing brake system. I was not able to find any SAE number to provide to you just the MOPAR DOT 4 brake fluid. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need any further assistance by calling us at the number below.
Thank you again for your email, William. Have a great day.
Best wishes,
Randy | Jeep Customer Care"

I sent a second e-mail saying this didn't seem right and if they could ask engineering. This was the reply I got next:

"I spoke to the dealer and they are the ones that provided me the answer. The brake fluid has went from a DOT 3 to a DOT 4 which is a better brake fluid. This is the name of the dealer Peterson's Stampede Dodge and phone number (208) 475-3030 for the dealer also.
Randy
Jeep Customer Care.
ref:_00Dj01qsDF._5003Z1MhLGE:ref "

@JeepCares : Is this really the right answer to the owner's manual calling for DOT 3 J1709?
Hmmm. What does the Master cylinder say on the top? Does it say DOT4? DOT3? Some will say DOT3/DOT4….

DOT4 has higher boiling points, but it’s also more water friendly. Water accumulation means a lowering of the boiling temp for the fluid, which is why the fluids specify both a “dry” and a “wet” boiling temp — and also why 1) you should toss any open brake fluid container sitting in your shop, and 2) it makes sense to buy brake fluid in the small containers (so you waste less if you have to top up, and 3) brake fluid should be replaced periodically — and on a shorter interval if it’s DOT4.

DOT3 and 4 can also be mixed, with the boiling temp increasing more or less linearly, but I’m not comfortable messing with that. I default to following the manufacturer’s direction — but that gets tough when MOPAR specifies DOT3, and your brake upgrade specifies DOT4.

OP
OP
21JLURDG

21JLURDG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hmmm. What does the Master cylinder say on the top? Does it say DOT4? DOT3? Some will say DOT3/DOT4….
DOT3. Which is why I think Jeep Support is out to lunch. I tagged @JeepCares hoping they would clarify this, but they seem happy to avoid confirming the mistake in the owner's manual.
Sponsored