Way to show which gear you on in m/t?

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
My CJ7 doesn’t even have a tachometer or gear indicator or shift chime or anything. If you don’t know what gear you’re in, buy an automatic.
I have to agree. I see this same request all the time for motorcycles and i just :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
Sponsored

jamotn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT500,'15 Mustang GT, '14 Juke.'12 HD,'18 Indian Scout
I have to agree. I see this same request all the time for motorcycles and i just :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
I have a '12 HD and an '18 Indian.They both have digital gear indicators .

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
Try using your tach, big difference in RPM for 4th vs 6th gear.
I know, but depending on speed and conditions you have to think about it. A gear indicator light tells you in a split second without thought, way easier.

Taxman

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ-7, 2018 JLUR
Occupation
CPA
Vehicle Showcase
I know, but depending on speed and conditions you have to think about it. A gear indicator light tells you in a split second without thought, way easier.
This has to be a generational thing. I have never NOT known what gear I’m in. I imagine if someone has a short-term memory disorder, I can see justifying the need for such a reminder light, but if I just shifted to that gear, how can I have already forgotten and need a reminder light? And even if I have a short-term memory disorder, the shifter is positioned in that gear. Your hand will feel where the shifter is before your eyes can even make it to the reminder light. There’s even a cool little diagram on top of the shifter knob in case you forget which gear goes where.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Shifter position
Speed
Tach

Sponsored

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

I keep a dry erase marker with me and, when I shift, erase the number and put the new gear on the windshield. It’s a manual process and takes a lot of time but really makes me one with the jeep

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
To me it doesn’t matter what gear I’m in. It just has to feel right. Feel it in my ears and butt.

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
I keep a dry erase marker with me and, when I shift, erase the number and put the new gear on the windshield. It’s a manual process and takes a lot of time but really makes me one with the jeep
Hahahaha..... I used permanent marker once by accident, now my Jeep has 12345654564323456 on the damn windshield.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Is a gear indicator helpful when rock crawling? Maybe you want to keep both hands on the wheel and don’t want to look at the shift knob? Just guessing because I don’t rock crawl.

I agree for normal driving I find the tach or engine rpm sound (tach less) much more informative. I’ve driven plenty of manual cars without a tach back in the day.

The gear indicator is probably used more for paddle shifting auto transmissions. Jeep probably originally added it on the autos for this reason.

Last edited:

Sponsored

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I've gotten confused a few times if I was in 4th or 6th. It can happen if you shift unconsciously and you are not really paying attention what gear you are in.
That's an easy one. If you press the gas pedal and ABSOLUTELY nothing happens, then you're in 6th.... otherwise it is 4th. :)

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

Hahahaha..... I used permanent marker once by accident, now my Jeep has 12345654564323456 on the damn windshield.
LOL - thanks

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
The only thing that you need on a motorcycle is a "Neutral" indicator light so that you can tell

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
Shift indicators on a harley.....did they cram a toaster in there too. Rediculous.

If you know how to drive a manual all you need is your tach, ears and feel.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
The only thing that you need on a motorcycle is a "Neutral" indicator light so that you can tell
Just saw a Harley with backup camera :facepalm:
Sponsored