Water unlocks the doors

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
As I washing the Jeep this weekend, I noticed that if I had the keys in my pocket with the doors locked, then I rinsed the door handle off, the proximity sensor unlocks the door.
I also tried to simulate rain with the hose and found this also would unlock my door.
So, for anyone who was planing on hiding their key somewhere on the car, good chance the rain will unlock it.
Or... someone just trying the handle or course ;)
Sponsored

MoparMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler/Gladiator coming soon
As I washing the Jeep this weekend, I noticed that if I had the keys in my pocket with the doors locked, then I rinsed the door handle off, the proximity sensor unlocks the door.
I also tried to simulate rain with the hose and found this also would unlock my door.
So, for anyone who was planing on hiding their key somewhere on the car, good chance the rain will unlock it.
Yeah, that happens on all proximity entry vehicles, I hate that. Haha. When I wash my Challenger or my Grand Cherokee, it unlocks the doors every time. But it doesn't really matter, I guess. I have proximity entry for the easiness of not having to unlock my car, not because of it's slight flaws.

Buckleup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Jl 2.0
It happens my our Toyota as well.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@pablo_max3045

What you saw is a normal occurrence in regard to a JL with proximity if you spray water on door or rear hatch handle.

Rain or no rain .. rain is not the issue lets say...

Reality is any owner that has Proximity on their JL should not be leaving the fob stashed on the JL, unless the fob is in a Faraday bag or wrapped with a few layers of aluminum foil.

Rain or no rain, if the fob is in close proximity to the JL (stashed) and not in a Faraday bag or wrapped in aluminum foil, then all anyone has to do is gab the door handle and open the door(s).

I have a fob stashed inside my JL (in a Faraday bag) and have been doing so for 2+ years. I have a unchipped key to unlock the door with. (Nah, you won't find it, even though I said it is stashed in there.) 8-)

Sponsored

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Happened all the time on my Audis before I owned the Jeep. I didn't get proximity locks on my JLR but this is pretty normal.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Obviously weaponized electronics for class warfare.

Wbino

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
I thought that nine year old with a water pistol was eyeing my Jeep.👀

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
I thought that nine year old with a water pistol was eyeing my Jeep.👀
Did you ask her, “water you doin’?”
to which her angelic answer would be
“Stealing your wallet mister. Hey thanks!”
to which you would stand there dumbfounded
And then she would kick you hard in the shin and squirt your pipi with her water gun.

All that because you had to ask a punny question.... tsk tsk tsk. You just got PUNished. :CWL:

Sponsored

Bob Burd

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.snwburd.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
This only makes sense for Mall Crawlers. If you're out on the trail, washing the door sills is part of washing the vehicle.

Wbino

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
This only makes sense for Mall Crawlers. If you're out on the trail, washing the door sills is part of washing the vehicle.
We Mall Crawlers (I'm a sub thread Park by the Water Crawler) are a silent majority. 👀🗽🍩

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
@pablo_max3045

What you saw is a normal occurrence in regard to a JL with proximity if you spray water on door or rear hatch handle.

Rain or no rain .. rain is not the issue lets say...

Reality is any owner that has Proximity on their JL should not be leaving the fob stashed on the JL, unless the fob is in a Faraday bag or wrapped with a few layers of aluminum foil.

Rain or no rain, if the fob is in close proximity to the JL (stashed) and not in a Faraday bag or wrapped in aluminum foil, then all anyone has to do is gab the door handle and open the door(s).

I have a fob stashed inside my JL (in a Faraday bag) and have been doing so for 2+ years. I have a unchipped key to unlock the door with. (Nah, you won't find it, even though I said it is stashed in there.) 8-)
I want to leave my spare Fob stashed on my base Sport, manual locks. What is sufficient for a " Faraday Bag " to shield it ?
Thanks in advance
Sponsored