Sponsored

Water sloshing in/leaking from roof?

LilRhody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
My brand new Rubicon Unlimited, with the sky touch roof, seems to have water in the roof frame. I can hear it sloshing around when I drive - and when I stop short water comes in by the front passenger door and windshield.

Has anyone had this issue?

My husband spotted two Allen key screws on the underside of the frame that he wondered if they were drains.

Hoping we aren’t headed to the shop after only a week of ownership.
Sponsored

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
My brand new Rubicon Unlimited, with the sky touch roof, seems to have water in the roof frame. I can hear it sloshing around when I drive - and when I stop short water comes in by the front passenger door and windshield.

Has anyone had this issue?

My husband spotted two Allen key screws on the underside of the frame that he wondered if they were drains.

Hoping we aren’t headed to the shop after only a week of ownership.
That’s unfortunate. I haven’t driven mine in the rain yet, but have washed it twice now without any problem such as this.

I wonder if it’s not closing properly and needs a little readjustment?

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
With all of the doors and windows closed and HVAC blower on high (not on recirc) use the soap bubble test on the outside of the roof to see where the bubbles appear. Most likely, that will be the water intrusion area.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
With all of the doors and windows closed and HVAC blower on high (not on recirc) use the soap bubble test on the outside of the roof to see where the bubbles appear. Most likely, that will be the water intrusion area.
The big louvered vent in the tailgate would need to be blocked off to build enough positive pressure.

I'm thinking it might be better to have one person sitting at attention in the jeep, while a second person is soaking a specific area of the exterior with a garden hose. Start at one corner, and both people systemically move from one section to the next until finding the point of intrusion.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Find where the drain tubes are and check them. Do you park under trees or did the dealer park it under trees? It may be clogged with debris. Oaks and Crepe Myrtles are the worst, especially in the spring or after a storm.

Sponsored

OP
OP

LilRhody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
As far as I know, Drain plugs only are in the floor and storage areas, not in the roof framing. Has anyone found drain plugs in the roof frame?

DenaliDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Moab
I haven't had this issue with my SOT roof nor read anything similar here. The sloshing around does not sound good. Very unfortunate but I would take it in and let them check it out. Look at it as an opportunity to find out how helpful your local Jeep service shop is. Hopefully, they're one of the better ones.

OP
OP

LilRhody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Have had it to the dealer twice. They’ve now ordered new roof rails. My confidence in them is not high.
Sponsored