Sponsored

water on passenger floor after rain

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Update for this thread: dealer replaced the ‘windshield to cow’ seal.

Hopefully this repair will resolve the water leak that ends up in the driver foot well.

My original post on this issue is here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/2018-jl-water-leak.53993/

Fullstop: We have not had a super heavy rain for a “full on” test but no leaking in moderate rain yet...

I can you, the source of this leak was not found until I pulled the side dash trim and trims under the steering wheel and driver speaker/headlight control module.

It took my persistence to identify the area of the leak after the dealer had been throwing darts in the dark for months... to their credit they had already replaced the driver door gasket, all gaskets associated with the freedom panels, replaced the driver freedom panel and then finally the windshield to cow part as shown in the picture.

The tricky thing about this leak is the water was coming in about two inches to the right of the driver a pillar and then dribbling down the left side of driver side compartment and under the floor mats (carpet has been out since April). I’d open the driver door, no water or a few drips on the mat and an inch of water in the foot well.

Hope others with difficult to diagnose leak issues make some headway... the next good rainstorm will be an indication as to wether or not this fix solved the problem.

4AA54222-F671-41A8-B425-0C229DB39D20.jpeg
Sponsored

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JLUS, 2008 JLUX, 2018 JLUR
Update for this thread: dealer replaced the ‘windshield to cow’ seal.
That's positive news so far, Greg! Now, hopefully sean.lunch has the same outcome for the passenger side (sounds very likely he will) and we can put this to bed! It also looks like you got a slightly newer version of this part, the last one I saw was "-AB" and you got "-AC." I wonder if there was an issue with the AB version 🤔

Appreciate the updates, and crossing my fingers for Sean as well

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I also think it's funny that the service tech wrote "cow" (instead of cowl) on the diagnosis form multiple times. 🤣 If there is a cow near the windshield, no wonder we all have leaks!

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Yes, dealer had me convinced the was a cow involved! Best wishes to all. Let’s be thankful for what we have going into 2021. Fingers crossed and prayers!

OP
OP
Sean.Lunch

Sean.Lunch

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Sport S
update:

jeep went to the dealership on December 30th and I got a call about 5 hours later stating that a fella by the name of “the water doctor” had found the leak and fixed it. He said the mucket seal had come unseated and it looks like he glued it back and put some RTV around where the two plugs in the mucket seal are. It’s rained two out of the last three days here and so far it looks ok. I will continue to monitor for leaks of course.

anyone have any thoughts on them gluing it instead of replacing?

thank you all so much for your insight.

Sponsored

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
update:

He said the mucket seal had come unseated and it looks like he glued it back and put some RTV around where the two plugs in the mucket seal are. It’s rained two out of the last three days here and so far it looks ok. I will continue to monitor for leaks of course.

Well, if it's fixed I would say that's awesome! ... and, honestly, if it saved them from unbolting the windshield, applying more butyl and replacing the whole thing that might actually be better. If you know "what" he did to the seal (other than the RTV around the plugs) it would be great to know and I'll also give it a try. Not sure what he means by the mucket seal coming unseated...

Thanks for the update!

Lombardocs

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport
update:

jeep went to the dealership on December 30th and I got a call about 5 hours later stating that a fella by the name of “the water doctor” had found the leak and fixed it. He said the mucket seal had come unseated and it looks like he glued it back and put some RTV around where the two plugs in the mucket seal are. It’s rained two out of the last three days here and so far it looks ok. I will continue to monitor for leaks of course.

thank you all so much for your insight.
Hey thanks for the info on this. I was wondering if the problem is still fixed? It's started to happen on my 2018 JLU. I have about 2 inches of water on passenger side!

Can you please tell me where the mucket seal is? I can't find it in Google.

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
Hey Guys,

I've got a 2019 JLU Sport S that's developed a water leak. The Jeep is always parked pointing downhill. I noticed the leak about 6 weeks ago and Made sure the hard top was seated correctly and that the roof drains and cowls were clear. I made an appointment with the dealer service department (umansky jeep in Charlottesville VA) about a month ago and they told me the soonest it could be looked at by their 3rd party leak company was today (December 1st). They just called me and told me they couldn't find any leaks. I told them to try harder.

This comes after a big rainstorm yesterday. I sucked a gallon of water out of the passenger footwell yesterday, so there is obviously a leak.

Anyone have any ideas?

There is no visible water coming down from the roof, so I assume it's coming down the firewall or maybe from the B pillar under the trim.

I am also thinking that the only way they could have failed to find the leak is if it only happens when the jeep is pointed downhill. The only support I have for that idea is that I never find water on the floor after running through the carwash.

@JeepCares
How do these questions to coming up? Jeeps leak, end of story.

People don't seem to like the soft tops, or at least the dealerships don't seem to order many, but hard tops leak more than soft tops. You'd think it would be the other way around, but it's not. One of the main draws to owning Wrangler is that you can bring the outside in, but that's also a negative thing because often enough the outside comes in even when you don't want it to.

Honestly it's only going to get worse with time, the older your Wrangler gets worse it's going to leak. Personally I take the good with the bad.

Even if you find where the lake is coming from, in another year there will be another one. I'd say just accepted for what it is, and leave it at that.

If you haven't already you should get rid of your carpets. That's what I did and now water in the JLUD doesn't worry me.

OP
OP
Sean.Lunch

Sean.Lunch

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey thanks for the info on this. I was wondering if the problem is still fixed? It's started to happen on my 2018 JLU. I have about 2 inches of water on passenger side!

Can you please tell me where the mucket seal is? I can't find it in Google.
Yep, still fixed. I’ve redone the RTV on the Mucket seal once, when the problem recurred about 6 months ago.

Nine

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Willys
When you took on water, was it isolated to the front passenger floor well or did you also collect water in the rear passenger foot well? After a torrential down pour, I have standing water in both passenger foot wells but nothing on the drivers side.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sean.Lunch

Sean.Lunch

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When you took on water, was it isolated to the front passenger floor well or did you also collect water in the rear passenger foot well? After a torrential down pour, I have standing water in both passenger foot wells but nothing on the drivers side.
Unfortunately, I’m not sure my answer is going to be particularly helpful. I only had water in the passenger front footwell, but my Jeep is always parked pointed downhill. I do believe that there’s a bump in the tub under the front seats that would prevent water from running into the passenger front footwell and then settling in the rear floor, but I will have to confirm. Not sure about two-doors. Was there any visible water trail to follow inside the Jeep? Anything indicative of a leaking hard top seal?

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
Does the JL have an air box drain? I honestly don’t know.

My old CJ, and my sons current YJ leaked like a sieve whenever it rained or water came up over the hood (splashing into a puddle etc). It wasn’t until this year that I realized there’s a drain in the engine compartment, on the firewall, with a downspout that is designed to allow water that enters the hood cowl to drain to the ground. If it gets blocked, water runs in through the heater vents behind the center console. The floors below the dash would get drenched.

we took the drain spout off the son’s YJ a few weeks ago, and sure enough it was totally blocked up with years of leaves, dirt etc.

a quick clearing with a pipe cleaner brush and hot water and he’s not had a drop of water get inside the jeep since. You can literally pour gallons of water into that cowl and it just ends up on the ground beneath the engine compartment now.

Maybe JL is similar? Much more modern heating and venting system I’d wager, but the water that gets in has to go somewhere, right? I know OP’s issue appear solved, but perhaps in the case of others?

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
So familiar, I had the same issue with my 1997 TJ. :clap:

In my case, they used about a tube of silicone around the seam where the blower motor attaches to the firewall.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

I’ve joined the water leak club. After reading this post it looks like it’s the upper window seal that rivets to the A puller. Passenger side is bubbles up and doesn’t match the driver side that’s dry and flat

64B85865-BF17-46CD-81A7-307233995489.jpeg

4D1110AB-0ECE-4890-ABE2-AC831339E112.jpeg

446DC8EA-2355-47ED-8DB3-B16692657B32.jpeg
Sponsored