Sean.Lunch

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Sport S
Keep us in the loop...good luck
Update: it rained last night and I had some time to take a look at the Jeep. I pulled the carpet and a few trim panels and took a good look around. I can now confidently say water is coming in at the bottom of the passenger door. Everywhere else in the tub was dry, including where the firewall comes down. I got some pictures of the water coming in and going underneath the trim panel at the door opening, going under the wiring harness, and then flowing to the pool of water on the floor. I’m not exactly sure where water is getting past the door seal, but I did also take pictures of a few differences between drivers and passenger sides around the door that might suggest a clue. The Jeep is heading to the dealership in Staunton this week and I’ll make sure they have this info. I’ll try to post the pictures later on when I get a chance.

Sean
Sponsored

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I have the same issue!1. I narrowed it down to the door seal that's even with the side mirror. It's actually on the body. I took the cowl off and sprayed a ton of water and no leak. Then I took off the side cowl and sprayed water in there and no leak. I sprayed along the top and tapped off the door seal to rule out the tops seal/windshield and no leak. Now I sprayed along the door seal and it was coming in from mid way and rolling down to the floor. Now for the fix? Any ideas?

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JLUS, 2008 JLUX, 2018 JLUR
I have this same problem. 2018 JLUR. I frequently park on a driveway that is a 10% grade and my Jeep faces up-hill, not down, and the leak still happens. Definitely anxious for a fix. I have tried comparing the seals on the driver and passenger sides, but no luck. The only thing I have noticed is that the mucket foam on the two areas pictured here (passenger side, upper and lower) are wet on the passenger side and dry on the driver side.

In the bottom picture (the seal closest to the mirror) the foam that is closer to the dash (and mostly exposed) is dry, it's the foam "under" the rubber that's wet (circled in white) and there is water all down the B-pillar marked in blue for reference.

The water seems to be running down the B-Pillar, down the front of the door (blue) and then comes out right at the footwell.

Jeep Wrangler JL water on passenger floor after rain 20201207_131229

Jeep Wrangler JL water on passenger floor after rain 20201207_131214

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
I’ve had a leak that settles in the driver side foot well of my 2018 JLU Sahara. Jeeps been in and out of the dealer since June, maybe 6 or 7 times. Dealer could never reproduce the leak until last week. This time in, they replaced the entire driver side freedom panel, saying “that should do it” and that was after they previously replaced the driver side door seal, the front and rear freedom panel seals and installed a missing dash plug in the firewall near the the master cylinder. When I went to pick up the Jeep, dealer pulls it into the service area, I inspect and there’s an inch of water under the weather tech mat. Seriously! They’re incompetence is on full display. I digress. Over the course of time and in between the summer rain storms (heavy rain is the problem, not light rain) I’ve removed the carpet, trim panels and dash panels. I’m convinced water is seeping in from below the windshield. I’ve just recently been able to reproduce the leak (it think the issue is just getting worst) if I spray a heavy stream of water near the bottom corner of the driver window I see water droplets forming on the inside behind the dash just an inch in from the A pillar. Keeps back in the shop again. I’ll report back with another update!

OP
OP
Sean.Lunch

Sean.Lunch

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve now got an appointment wit CMA’s valley CDJR on the 16th. They’ve been pretty gracious so far and said they actually do use an outside company to find leaks. That’s what I was told by the Charlottesville dealership as well, but it turned out not to be true. We will see how it goes.
By chance, I was in Blacksburg VA yesterday and ended up in contact through a mutual acquaintance with someone who is a master mechanic at the Jeep dealership in Blacksburg. He reported that the mucket seals where the door meets the A pillar tend to go bad on the JLs and that would be his bet. It looks like a couple other folks on this thread may have that seal going bad as well. Attached are some pictures of where I observed the leak. It’s hard to tell whether water being in certain places is normal or not, but I did my best to quickly document where I saw it.
I’m assuming there’s an orderable part number for the mucket seal and that it’s held on with adhesive. Might not be so bad to replace for any of us who are now out of warranty.

876EEFAA-D8B0-4E6A-BB62-02B714CD1B72.jpeg

9D9B749A-922E-452E-873E-E4F486A8C330.jpeg

Sponsored

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
He reported that the mucket seals where the door meets the A pillar tend to go bad on the JLs and that would be his bet. It looks like a couple other folks on this thread may have that seal going bad as well. Attached are some pictures of where I observed the leak. It’s hard to tell whether water being in certain places is normal or not, but I did my best to quickly document where I saw it.
I’m assuming there’s an orderable part number for the mucket seal and that it’s held on with adhesive. Might not be so bad to replace for any of us who are now out of warranty.
Those pics of the floor are exactly where the water comes in on my JL. I tried to find the mucket seal part on mopar's parts site and was having some issues. I reached out to customer service and was told that the mucket is actually part of the cowl seal that runs under the windshield. Hard to tell from the pic, though:

Jeep Wrangler JL water on passenger floor after rain 68271696AG_0

Mopar part# 68447905AB. It's $150.00 at Quadratec... if anyone is interested in trying this out that's out of warranty, or if someone who finally gets a dealer to fix it and this ends up being the problem, would love to know before I spend $150 on a piece of rubber!

OP
OP
Sean.Lunch

Sean.Lunch

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Those pics of the floor are exactly where the water comes in on my JL. I tried to find the mucket seal part on mopar's parts site and was having some issues. I reached out to customer service and was told that the mucket is actually part of the cowl seal that runs under the windshield. Hard to tell from the pic, though:

Jeep Wrangler JL water on passenger floor after rain 68271696AG_0

Mopar part# 68447905AB. It's $150.00 at Quadratec... if anyone is interested in trying this out that's out of warranty, or if someone who finally gets a dealer to fix it and this ends up being the problem, would love to know before I spend $150 on a piece of rubber!
I’ll absolutely let y’all know if that’s what ends up being replaced by the dealer before you spend $150 on a piece of rubber. Anyone know what kind of adhesive is used to hold it in place/what would work best?

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone know what kind of adhesive is used to hold it in place/what would work best?
Most of the gaskets and seals use butyl (i.e. MOPAR 68027813AA). Some don't use any at all and are held on with pins (like the part of this seal you can see on the B-Pillar). My guess is there is a combination of both for this one since it spans the entire length of the windshield and (I assume) gets exposed when the windshield is folded down.

OP
OP
Sean.Lunch

Sean.Lunch

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update:

There is no update. The winter storm last week derailed my appointment and I haven't gotten word yet on when it's going to be rescheduled for. I called the dealership ahead of the storm and booked another appointment on the 30th in case mine is was cancelled, so it looks like that will be the case but I am waiting for a call back to confirm that. I'll update once I know something. Man I hate when this kind of stuff drags on and on.

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
well today I had an inch of water in my passenger side weather tech mat and 2 inches underneath the mat!!! I was so pissed!! Looks like I'm going to have to bring it into the dealership. Water was dripping into the jeep from about the mirror height and also rolling down to the bottom and getting into the carpet area. If I had to guess it seems to be the mucket seal

Sponsored

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
not sure if it’s worth writing, I was interested to see if you thought it could be the condensation drain tube? I know the get clogged pretty easily and if so they will flood you passenger side foot well. I see al pots about the doors, when I go through the car wash water will shoot through the side of the door and spray my leg, I assume this is normal. (Though not acceptable) I have 12k on my jlu sport.

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
when I go through the car wash water will shoot through the side of the door and spray my leg, I assume this is normal. (Though not acceptable) I have 12k on my jlu sport.
I've never had that happen on any of my Jeeps (JK or JL). That's a problem!

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not sure if it’s worth writing, I was interested to see if you thought it could be the condensation drain tube? I know the get clogged pretty easily and if so they will flood you passenger side foot well.
Good thought, although mine for sure is door seal related. Only happens when it rains and I can see water coming down the A pillar. (See my first post with pics). But, all ideas are welcomed!

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I've never had that happen on any of my Jeeps (JK or JL). That's a problem!
It’s not a problem. Some car washes just spray too hard right at the door seal, and then it never leaks any other time. I can get water into any Jeep with a power washer.

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s not a problem. Some car washes just spray too hard right at the door seal, and then it never leaks any other time. I can get water into any Jeep with a power washer.
I would agree if you aim a power washer just right you could get water into any vehicle most likely. I've had 3 JL/JK's and never had any of them leak from a car wash or even when I wash it myself with a power washer, and I purposely aim for the door seams in order to get all the soap out. It's only my opinion, but I think lalalofsky should get that checked out, especially with a 2020 JL.

Now... the seals on the tops (hard or soft): they seem to always have issues!
Sponsored