Sean.Lunch

Sean.Lunch

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Sport S
I mulled it over for a little while and ended up calling a Jeep customer service and talking to them for a while about the whole thing. They seemed to agree that all dealers are certainly not created equally and suggested I head over to CMA in Staunton and give them a try. Gave me a case number as well so there’s at least a record of the struggle so far. Not sure if that was actually a worthwhile thing to do, but they did at least agree with me.
Sponsored

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I had same/similar problem with a 99 Gr Cherokee. I think it was the moonroof drain tube was clogged.

there has to be a drain line somewhere that’s clogged?

google passenger floor beep wet and youll have pages to look at dating back to 90s.

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
I agree most likely a drain tube. I had a beetle get stuck in my wife's car's sunroof drain tube. Somehow the water would show up on the driver side floor and it took me a while to figure out where it was coming from as I couldn't find an obvious source or water trail.

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Sean.Lunch

Sean.Lunch

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree most likely a drain tube. I had a beetle get stuck in my wife's car's sunroof drain tube. Somehow the water would show up on the driver side floor and it took me a while to figure out where it was coming from as I couldn't find an obvious source or water trail.
While I was waiting for my appointment I tried to rule out drain tubes. I took that A pillar cover off both sides and put my shop vac on the hose. I felt really good suction on the other end I I figured that was the issue. When I was on the phone with the dealership yesterday I did also ask them to check the door seal at the underside of the door. Like maybe water was bouncing up or running In Underneath the door. That might explain why it isn’t showing up when they use a hose. Hopefully I will get some good news this afternoon. They said they were going to dry the carpet completely and give it another shot so they would see any new accumulation. They probably should’ve done that sooner but whatever. Hopefully it helps. If not they’ll probably kick it out of the shop unsolved. @JeepCares offered to escalate the issue if it remains unsolved. Not exactly sure what that looks like but it’s got to be better than this.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sean.Lunch

Sean.Lunch

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep, those are the threads I was looking at during the wait time for the dealer appointment. I looked at the seam under those A pillar cowl panels and they looked ok but it’s probably worth hitting them with RTV anyway especially at this point. I thought the Mucket seals on the door looked alright but if that little separation can cause so much water then maybe I should just go ahead and re glue or tape them. Thank y’all so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Check the wiper cowl drain, it will overflow right into the vent intake and onto the passengers floor.

OP
OP
Sean.Lunch

Sean.Lunch

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Check the wiper cowl drain, it will overflow right into the vent intake and onto the passengers floor.
Is it possible that if the Jeep is pointed downhill and all the rainwater from the roof rushes forward down the windshield towards those drains it just naturally overflows? When I was trying to diagnose the leak I wanted to pull the wiper arms and the cowl cover off but the wiper arms were stuck and I don’t have a puller.

Where exactly is the vent intake?

JeezAJeep

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Baja..2019 BMW X2
Dealership just called, they gave up and just dried the interior.
This needs to be escalated...cannot accept them just giving up...this should go from the service manager to the regional service manager...get on them and do not give up...good luck

Sponsored

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I sure hope the dealer would have checked that!!
looks like you now have weekend plans :(

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
When you get it home. check which way your door limiter strap folds.

OP
OP
Sean.Lunch

Sean.Lunch

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This needs to be escalated...cannot accept them just giving up...this should go from the service manager to the regional service manager...get on them and do not give up...good luck
I agree. I think the plan going forward is to take it to the next closest dealership. I just don’t see a path forward with a dealership that isn’t willing to put the time into finding where water is coming in. Jeepcares asked me to let them know if I take it there and I think they will kind of be involved at that point as well. Hopefully things go better there but if not I guess it’ll just get escalated. Or I’ll demand it gets escalated. In the meantime, I’ll put some work into trying to isolate the leak myself. I’ll recheck the mucket seals and try to get water to come in around the door. They said they concentrated on the cowl, windshield, roof, and door areas but maybe they weren’t thorough enough.

To be clear, the dealership could never get water to go into the passenger footwell, and they gave up at that point. I have a feeling they think I just left the door cracked or something and I’m lying about the past 6-10 times this has happened.

@fat_head ill check the limiting strap.
Again, thank you all for your input. I really appreciate it.

JeezAJeep

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Baja..2019 BMW X2
I agree. I think the plan going forward is to take it to the next closest dealership. I just don’t see a path forward with a dealership that isn’t willing to put the time into finding where water is coming in. Jeepcares asked me to let them know if I take it there and I think they will kind of be involved at that point as well. Hopefully things go better there but if not I guess it’ll just get escalated. Or I’ll demand it gets escalated. In the meantime, I’ll put some work into trying to isolate the leak myself. I’ll recheck the mucket seals and try to get water to come in around the door. They said they concentrated on the cowl, windshield, roof, and door areas but maybe they weren’t thorough enough.

To be clear, the dealership could never get water to go into the passenger footwell, and they gave up at that point. I have a feeling they think I just left the door cracked or something and I’m lying about the past 6-10 times this has happened.

@fat_head ill check the limiting strap.
Again, thank you all for your input. I really appreciate it.
Keep us in the loop...good luck

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
When I had my TJ my dealer needed my Jeep for two weeks before figuring out the water was running between the hood and cowl, draining down the firewall and into the blower motor housing and onto the floor.

They fixed it by using what looked like an entire tube of silicone on the top of it.

If that whole assembly hasn't been redesigned it might be a good thing to check.
Sponsored