Sponsored

Water in Fuel (WIF) and NO START

Yardie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLUR
For background, I've owned 8 diesel vehicles throughout my life (GMC, Chevrolet, Mercedes, Volkswagen) and never once had a problem with "water in fuel," until now on my 2020 3.0D. I also try to only use "top tier" fueling stations. To my knowledge, of all the diesel vehicles I've owned, Jeep is the only one to have a supplemental preventative maintenance procedure for periodically draining water from the fuel/water separator (10k mi). I don't know why that is, is it overkill, or does this system have a limitation that other manufacturers don't?

Last week, my wife got the WIF light. In order to get home (about 1/8 mile, I was out of town), she attempted to start the vehicle, but it wouldn't initially start. Eventually, it started and she drove around the corner to home. We didn't drive it again, until I drained the separator (drained it twice, first cold, and then again warmed up). I didn't notice any water in the fuel when draining, but I also didn't let it sit and settle. After draining twice, I primed the pump, started it and let it idle for a minute, with no WIF message. The next day, the first attempt at driving since draining, the WIF message came back on. At that point, I decided to change the water separator filter (early, vehicle has only 18k+ miles). I changed the filter, the old one didn't look too bad, didn't appear to need changing and took it in the next day for an oil change at the dealership. When leaving the dealership, the engine wouldn't start after many, many attempts. There was no WIF indication, sometimes it wouldn't even attempt to turn over, other times, it would crank for a fraction of a second. Eventually, the WIF message come back on, around the same time it decided to start. After start, the message was gone again.

Anyone else having trouble with WIF? Is it perhaps a bad sensor? Why does it not start sometimes, even without the WIF message, and other times it will start, even with the WIF message. Why does it keep coming back, after draining multiple times and replacing the filter, and what else can I do? I'm about to take it to the dealership under warranty and tell them to sort it out. We just refueled, but the Jeep is hanging out in the airport parking lot until we get home, so it's too soon to tell if new fuel will resolve the problem.
Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Like you, I’ve had several diesel trucks and never a real problem. I believe the Cummins rams had a PM step to drain the fuel / water separator but I never did. I just changed the fuel filter every 2nd oil change. I did have a false alarm once after going through a car wash. The connector to the separator got wet and after disconnecting it and blowing it out the dash light went away.

Does it sound any different when running after the light started popping up? I’d think if there really was water in the fuel it would run rough.

Hopefully they find it is only a faulty sensor because I’d be willing to bet water in the fuel isn’t a warranty fix. I hear draining a fuel tank and disposal of fuel is expensive and that is if they don’t have to drop the tank completely.

Good luck and please let me know what the resolution is.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I've only had one issue with the water in fuel. It was with my 06 Cummins. It wouldnt start, after several cranks. Then it started for a few seconds and died. I drained the fuel separator, primed it, and havent had an issue since. I do drain about a cup of fuel, every once and a while, to keep this from happening again.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Yardie , after owning diesel pickups, for over 21 years, the rule of thumb is not to use "Top Tier" fueling stations, but to use those who do the most volume, and change their filters regularly. You always want clean, fresh fuel.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I've never seen a diesel without a water drain on the filter housing.

The manual states to change the fuel filter every other oil change, and oil changes should be done before 10,000 miles, so having the original fuel filter at 18k is pushing it. These fuel systems are extremely expensive to repair.

Sounds to me that you've got a bad sensor.

Sponsored

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
The 18 Wheelers, which I use to work on many years ago, had Cat Cummins, or Detroit Diesels in them. They all had two fuel filters on the, a primary and a secondary. The primaries all had a petcock on the bottom of the filter housing, to drain off the water. Once a day, these over the road Drivers, would open that valve, and remove any water in it.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
My WIF indicator has never turned on. I buy my #2 diesel only at volume top tier fuel stations. I drain my filter at every oil change and I replace my fuel filter at every other oil change. So far, so good.

You may want to check the connector & terminals at the fuel filter.

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
"Jeep is the only one to have a supplemental preventative maintenance procedure for periodically draining water from the fuel/water separator (10k mi). I don't know why that is, is it overkill, or does this system have a limitation that other manufacturers don't?"

All Ford diesels require you drain a fuel/water separator. It was common practice every other oil change. I'm somewhat surprised others don't require it. As other said, check out your fuel filter.

OP
OP

Yardie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLUR
Does it sound any different when running after the light started popping up? I’d think if there really was water in the fuel it would run rough.
My wife said she thought it sounded rough when she first got it started, but I didn't notice it idling rough or driving rough. It initially idled loud, but we're in Park City in November and this engine seems to always be loud when started cold, for the first few minutes.

OP
OP

Yardie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLUR
Hopefully they find it is only a faulty sensor because I’d be willing to bet water in the fuel isn’t a warranty fix. I hear draining a fuel tank and disposal of fuel is expensive and that is if they don’t have to drop the tank completely.
Yeah, I'm hoping the problem is something other than actual water in the fuel. If the manufacturer doesn't cover WIF under warranty (and I'm sure they wouldn't) and the fueling station doesn't cover it (impossible to prove, although all our recent fill-ups have been at the same local Chevron), perhaps insurance would cover any damage and/or resolution. I don't know, and hope to not have to find out.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Yardie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLUR
@Yardie , after owning diesel pickups, for over 21 years, the rule of thumb is not to use "Top Tier" fueling stations, but to use those who do the most volume, and change their filters regularly. You always want clean, fresh fuel.
Yeah, that's exactly what I search for too when filling, for this very reason. Our recent refuels have all been at the local Chevron, it's a busy one, right off I-80 at the Park City exit.

OP
OP

Yardie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLUR
"Jeep is the only one to have a supplemental preventative maintenance procedure for periodically draining water from the fuel/water separator (10k mi). I don't know why that is, is it overkill, or does this system have a limitation that other manufacturers don't?"

All Ford diesels require you drain a fuel/water separator. It was common practice every other oil change. I'm somewhat surprised others don't require it. As other said, check out your fuel filter.
I didn't perhaps state that clearly, I meant of the diesels I've owned, Jeep is the only one (to my knowledge) that required water be drained. I've never owned a Ford diesel, so I certainly cannot speak to them, regardless, sincere thanks for the clarification.

And, I agree, you'd think if one manufacturer required periodic draining water, they all would, at least at some interval.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, that's exactly what I search for too when filling, for this very reason. Our recent refuels have all been at the local Chevron, it's a busy one, right off I-80 at the Park City exit.
i use to fill up strictly at high volume truck stops. Now, I go to a place, near my house, that is the main station in the area for diesel. I dont risk getting bad fuel. I've had friends that fill their trucks at any place that is convenient, or nice clean neighborhood stations, and more than one have been towed, and had to have their tanks drained. High volume, high volume, high volume.

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangle Sport Diesel
I wonder if it’s old fuel because of the lack of driving from Covid - although I think things have picked up.

OP
OP

Yardie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLUR
I wish I could post a solution to our WIF woes, but I'm still baffled by it all and the problem seems to be resolved. Connections looked good. The WIF issue plagued us for about a week, even after draining several times and replacing the filter, but has seemingly resolved itself without further intervention. We topped off the tank with fuel a couple times and haven't had any issues during the past week of daily/local driving, Jeep is running as good as ever.

......now, if I can just get the nuisance radio/infotainment system to stop freezing and resetting all the time, another problem that we've been having which seems to come and go. It's especially frustrating when the screen freezes while backing up, kinda dangerous if you're not paying attention to your mirrors and out the windows, as the screen will appear there is still plenty of room behind you, but in reality you're viewing a frozen camera video feed.
Sponsored