Water fording

Rachel Ruby

First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys and a 2010 Rubicon
Of course many of you know by now I just ordered this month my Rubicon extreme recon package with the automatic transmission. First time going automatic I am concerned about water fording with a automatic I heard that if water gets into the automatic transmission it will destroy it of course I donā€™t want this to happen, is there anything I can do to make sure this never happens thanks
Sponsored

Storminā€™ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
If you call the mall ahead of time and make sure their parking lot isn't flooded you should be ok.
Wow! That was uncalled for...and that's coming from a huge asshole. (It's still funny though)

Sponsored

Storminā€™ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Of course many of you know by now I just ordered this month my Rubicon extreme recon package with the automatic transmission. First time going automatic I am concerned about water fording with a automatic I heard that if water gets into the automatic transmission it will destroy it of course I donā€™t want this to happen, is there anything I can do to make sure this never happens thanks
You can get extended aftermarket breathers for the axles. I am not sure if they're available for the transmission and transfer case.

Storminā€™ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
I do off road always in a manual and have done a badge of honor trail in my last Rubicon which was 2door manual v6 . This is my first time going to automatic I thought it was a valid point
My wife wheels like Mofo
I thought so as well, I thought this was a Jeep friendly community forum
We are, and we usually wait until we know you before you get roasted. I don't know that guy but he sounds like he has a small penis. If you live near Hilton Head and go to Jeep events we've probably met.

OP
OP

Rachel Ruby

First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can get extended aftermarket breathers for the axles. I am not sure if they're available for the transmission and transfer case.
Okay I will look into this , the extreme recon package comes with the 4:56 axle

Sponsored

Chief_Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Stingray
No need to worry, that automatic will be just as good, or bad, as a manual.

I would be more concerned about water sucked into the air intake.

So, just look at the water fording label & try not to get deeper than that. I know my 2020 JLUR is 30" & the JLUR XR is supposed to be 33.6 inches. That's pretty deep.

If your are considering going into deeper water, then the breathers & a snorkel you should get.

Hope this helps!
:like:

OP
OP

Rachel Ruby

First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No need to worry, that automatic will be just as good, or bad, as a manual.

I would be more concerned about water sucked into the air intake.

So, just look at the water fording label & try not to get deeper than that. I know my 2020 JLUR is 30" & the JLUR XR is supposed to be 33.6 inches. That's pretty deep.

If your are considering going into deeper water, then the breathers & a snorkel you should get.

Hope this helps!
:like:
It does thanks for good sensible advice , it is nice to know there is still good Jeep people out there willing to help others

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
The transmission breather tube is up high in the engine bay. Same height as the air intake for the motor. So keep the water below the fenders.

I sank a ā€˜04 TJ a few years ago. I shut the engine off and managed to save the motor, but when the transmission cooled off I lost pressure in the vent tube. It opened up and I toasted the trans.

Big picture here: know the depth of the water and those numbers that Jeep publishes are good numbers to go off of.

Post number 10 shows transmission location on the 3.6L. Certainly itā€™s around there for the other engine configurations as well.

V V

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/water-fording-pics.12609/#post-332693

Chief_Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Stingray
It does thanks for good sensible advice , it is nice to know there is still good Jeep people out there willing to help others
You're welcome.

Just to add a little more info...
It appears that the automatic transmission is a sealed unit, so it may actually be better than a manual when it comes to getting water in the clutch vents. Plus, with the auto you won't stall out & worry about having to restart midway through a water crossing.

But, with either transmission, I would be concerned over getting electrical connections soaked, or mud & muck in them. Lots of electronic connectors & wiring in these JLs. So, just watch out for the depth & try to keep it at or below the water fording level. Even if you have a snorkel & breathers, I would after off roading, check all the electrical connections underneath & make sure they are clean & dry. It is an extra step, but worth it when you open up a connector & water/mud comes out. Cleaning & drying that out will keep them from rusting out & causing electrical shorts & gremlins.

OP
OP

Rachel Ruby

First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You're welcome.

Just to add a little more info...
It appears that the automatic transmission is a sealed unit, so it may actually be better than a manual when it comes to getting water in the clutch vents. Plus, with the auto you won't stall out & worry about having to restart midway through a water crossing.

But, with either transmission, I would be concerned over getting electrical connections soaked, or mud & muck in them. Lots of electronic connectors & wiring in these JLs. So, just watch out for the depth & try to keep it at or below the water fording level. Even if you have a snorkel & breathers, I would after off roading, check all the electrical connections underneath & make sure they are clean & dry. It is an extra step, but worth it when you open up a connector & water/mud comes out. Cleaning & drying that out will keep them from rusting out & causing electrical shorts & gremlins.
Once again thank you for more valuable information
Sponsored