Sponsored

Water Fording/JLURD? 🤔

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
On the JL, drive slow, lean your head out the window and use your lower door hinge as a reference point. The moment you can't see it, you're at max water fording depth.

Also know it's not your engine's air intake that's the concern. It's your axle breather tubes. If your warm axles are submerged in cold water those breather tubes are going to suck in air. They have caps to prevent water from getting in but if they're underwater, there's only so much they can do.

As others have said, in a hurricane flooding environment your primary concern is driving over/into underwater debris.
Sponsored

Txcomp

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I want to echo what others have said about flood water, especially in FL. There is a very good chance the road may be washed out under the water so be careful. I had one of my field tech‘s F250 fall in a hole that washed out under the flood water during a storm a few years ago in FL. Luckily we were able to rescue truck and tech.

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
Inside your tailgate, is a diagram giving fording depths. Also the manual mentions fording at a maximum speeds.

BUSHRVN

First Name
MONTE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRANGLER JLU SAHARA HIGH ALTITUDE 3.0
If it’s parked where there may have been some high water, check the air box and filter BEFORE you start it. In case wind or high water got water into the box.

tk1700

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Altitude, 2021 JLUR, 2016 Tundra
Be careful as to what type of water you drive in. Fresh water is way different from salt water or brackish water which can cause major electrical and corrosion issues.

Sponsored

OP
OP
NewbJLUOwner

NewbJLUOwner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon Diesel 2022
Vehicle Showcase
On the JL, drive slow, lean your head out the window and use your lower door hinge as a reference point. The moment you can't see it, you're at max water fording depth.

Also know it's not your engine's air intake that's the concern. It's your axle breather tubes. If your warm axles are submerged in cold water those breather tubes are going to suck in air. They have caps to prevent water from getting in but if they're underwater, there's only so much they can do.

As others have said, in a hurricane flooding environment your primary concern is driving over/into underwater debris.
Thanks so much. I just did some research on the breather tubes for the JLU
Very interesting and now I understand
Much appreciated heads up 👍

OP
OP
NewbJLUOwner

NewbJLUOwner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon Diesel 2022
Vehicle Showcase
I want to echo what others have said about flood water, especially in FL. There is a very good chance the road may be washed out under the water so be careful. I had one of my field tech‘s F250 fall in a hole that washed out under the flood water during a storm a few years ago in FL. Luckily we were able to rescue truck and tech.
I don't believe my Jeep is equipped with an under water camera.. right? .lol
Just kidding
Yeah, I'm going to avoid as much standing water, specifically in particular areas, if possible to avoid that damage if possible
Interesting there are significant amounts of replies expressing this issue
Thx for heads up

OP
OP
NewbJLUOwner

NewbJLUOwner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon Diesel 2022
Vehicle Showcase
Inside your tailgate, is a diagram giving fording depths. Also the manual mentions fording at a maximum speeds.
Yep. Someone shared earlier. Much appreciation

OP
OP
NewbJLUOwner

NewbJLUOwner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon Diesel 2022
Vehicle Showcase
If it’s parked where there may have been some high water, check the air box and filter BEFORE you start it. In case wind or high water got water into the box.
Just found out no significant standing water where it's been parked
I will still inspect my baby when I get home tomorrow am anyway

OP
OP
NewbJLUOwner

NewbJLUOwner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon Diesel 2022
Vehicle Showcase
Be careful as to what type of water you drive in. Fresh water is way different from salt water or brackish water which can cause major electrical and corrosion issues.
Looks like it will mostly be rain water, fresh water
Not sure how far the salt water came in from beach?
I live 5 blks from beach area anyway
If it's 3-4ft, then I'm tapping out anyway
Will find out tomorrow

Sponsored

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Lived in FL through multiple hurricanes… Just as important as “how high” the water is - what could be hiding “under” the water. Flood waters are a different challenge than “natural offfoad” water. Often, flood waters have a lot of hidden debris / sharp objects that you can’t see that could damage your vehicle as you try to drive through it, so important to be especially careful. Things like shards of glass, pieces of metal, and god knows what get blown around from all over the place due to these storms - nothing you want to accidentally drive over.
Also note that surfaces can “wash away” in heavy rain and flood conditions. That 23” of water could easily become 48” where a road has fallen or washed away. Go over the intake and you’ve just destroyed your engine -about a $10 k ding. Also note that vehicles, including you Jeep Can and have been carried away in floodwaters, causing death by drowning. Finally, if you’re driving in salt laced water you are going to pay a corrosion price downrange. Long story short, a smart puppy will do everything possible to avoid driving through water, esp where the bottom is unknown/not visible. A clear gentle mountain stream with a rock bottom is a LOT different proposition than floodwaters. BE CAREFUL.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
When it floods in AZ it doesn't matter what your fording capabilty is - you are going to be swept away down the gulch.

jlandry287

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Diesel
Hello Friends- Jeep 👋
My 1st experience driving after the Hurricane will be Saturday am
I've tried doing some research regarding water fording in Jeep Wrangler JLU
Thrilled I own a Jeep, my experience is limited driving in probably some areas with significant flooding. My previous Honda would be stranded
From what I can research below
30"-33" is technically the max
19" suggested by Jeep if going over water where the Jeep can sit down on soft river bed
I have 35" tires now. No lift. Rubicon/Eco-Diesel
Can I do simple math & guess 3"-5" below my tire is safe?
Air intake on Eco-Diesel is where? Should I care?
Any tips besides take it slow?
I've gone through about 15" in Colorado with no issues. The bottom was rock so I wasn't concerned about sinking though.

phageghost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Now some Jeep guy somewhere is like hmm...
I do wonder how well the front camera would do underwater, assuming clear water, that is. On the other hand, where it's mounted, by the time it gets underwater you're above fording depth anyway.
Sponsored