Sponsored

Water-crossings: how to start a stalled manual transmission w/o clutch?

Badweissenbier

First Name
Bad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR
It definitely won’t under normal circumstances. ie if I shut off the engine by the ignition switch.
Stalling in 4L per that other post is first off hard to do in low gear, and quite frankly 20 seconds after a stall isn’t enough time for someone to evaluate what just happened and try a non clutch restart. Sounds like a glitch not a feature.
I will play around some more and see what I can come up with.
Sponsored

OP
OP
UncleJimmy

UncleJimmy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR; 2016 Toyota Tundra
It definitely won’t under normal circumstances. ie if I shut off the engine by the ignition switch.
Stalling in 4L per that other post is first off hard to do in low gear, and quite frankly 20 seconds after a stall isn’t enough time for someone to evaluate what just happened and try a non clutch restart. Sounds like a glitch not a feature.
I will play around some more and see what I can come up with.
OK thanks.

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
If @joe@zauto can't add a fix to disable the clutch switch (ideal solution), it should be possible to splice the wiring harness for the clutch switch and add a switch to bypass it. If the clutch switch is normally open, a switch can be added in parallel. If it's normally closed, a switch can be added in series.

Sponsored

MedicalCowboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU
Occupation
Pipefitter
I think the easiest thing here would just be not to stall it. I can’t tell you how many times we were hood deep in mud, water, etc and have never stalled. Pick the right line and keep them tires spinning brother.

F39AB461-6363-4103-98B4-1BB642FC8692.jpeg

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
There is no easy answer for this. If you stall in water, you'll have to use the clutch pedal, period. If you do, water and mud will rush in, but the vehicle will still drive. When you get home, you'll have to service the transmission. If you don't want to deal with this problem, get an auto which is sealed.

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Moijto 2005 TJ AEV Hemi
Better idea......... Save your $40-55K and get an older TJ/JK. Build it for what you need. From your video, I would not go buy a brand new Jeep. Then take the time to strip out and make what you need (Mudder). Unless your bank roll is mighty large....

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
That photo of what looks like a disco is just barely over the tires, which are most likely around 31s MAYBE 33s. A modified/lifted JL on 35s or 37s will walk through that without incident. When it comes to extremely deep water, the JL and the JK both have tons of computer modules which are NOT IP rated and rest basically right under the hood. Go into water deep enough, snorkel or not, and you'll still destroy a heap of electronics. Having said that, with all due respect to the OP, a JL on 37s would require over 4 FEET of water crossing before it's an issue, and judging by the original question, the OP has no business doing 4'+ water crossings, where many other things matter, like current, what the bottom of the water body is made of, etc. If you just want to splash around puddles, I'd have to agree with Kevin above, build some old beater and go splash around.

MedicalCowboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU
Occupation
Pipefitter
That photo of what looks like a disco is just barely over the tires, which are most likely around 31s MAYBE 33s. A modified/lifted JL on 35s or 37s will walk through that without incident. When it comes to extremely deep water, the JL and the JK both have tons of computer modules which are NOT IP rated and rest basically right under the hood. Go into water deep enough, snorkel or not, and you'll still destroy a heap of electronics. Having said that, with all due respect to the OP, a JL on 37s would require over 4 FEET of water crossing before it's an issue, and judging by the original question, the OP has no business doing 4'+ water crossings, where many other things matter, like current, what the bottom of the water body is made of, etc. If you just want to splash around puddles, I'd have to agree with Kevin above, build some old beater and go splash around.
My disco had a 6 inch lift and was on 37’s buddy.

Sponsored

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
I just read this on another forum. If you have time, can you verify this process works (allows override of clutch safety) in 4L?

https://www.wranglerforum.com/f1082/psa-how-to-use-clutch-interlock-bypass-2351849.html

Also on page 294 of the 2018 owner's manual it says:

"Four-Wheel Drive Models Only In 4L mode, this vehicle will start regardless of whether or not the clutch pedal is pressed to the floor. This feature enhances off-road performance by allowing the vehicle to start when in 4L without having to press the clutch pedal. The “4WD Low Indicator Light” will illuminate when the transfer case has been shifted into this mode."

https://cdn.dealereprocess.org/cdn/servicemanuals/jeep/2018-wrangler.pdf

I tried the process in the wrangler forums link you posted - it works!! Just copied this sequence from that page, and when I did this, I could start in 4L without pressing the clutch. It started right up as I took my foot off the brake while holding the start/stop button.

""
1. The vehicle must be ON and in 4L
2. Stall the vehicle
3. A message should display on the dash describing how to restart the vehicle, but I will explain it here as well
4. Press foot on the brake, but NOT the clutch
5. Hold the Start/Stop button.
6. Release the brake once the starter begins to turn, but keep holding the button until the vehicle is started.

Note that the vehicle MUST be stalled in order to activate this feature.""

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
[QUOTE="redelses, post: 621318, member: 18600”]Note that the vehicle MUST be stalled in order to activate this feature.[/QUOTE]
Here’s a test for you (I’m too lazy, and don’t ford deep water): stall it in 4H, then shift to 4L while stalled (might need someone to rock you a bit to get the transfer case to complete the shift). Try to start.

OP
OP
UncleJimmy

UncleJimmy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR; 2016 Toyota Tundra
I tried the process in the wrangler forums link you posted - it works!! Just copied this sequence from that page, and when I did this, I could start in 4L without pressing the clutch. It started right up as I took my foot off the brake while holding the start/stop button.
"

Awesome! Thanks!

Badweissenbier

First Name
Bad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR
Awesome! Thanks!

""
1. The vehicle must be ON and in 4L
2. Stall the vehicle
3. A message should display on the dash describing how to restart the vehicle, but I will explain it here as well
4. Press foot on the brake, but NOT the clutch
5. Hold the Start/Stop button.
6. Release the brake once the starter begins to turn, but keep holding the button until the vehicle is started.

Note that the vehicle MUST be stalled in order to activate this feature.""
Good deal!!
Sponsored