Washing the Jeep

rbgeep

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
I’m new to Jeeps so this may be a dumb question, but how do you wash behind the spare tire?
Sponsored

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I’m new to Jeeps so this may be a dumb question, but how do you wash behind the spare tire?
I use a soft brush to wash as far as I can see. Beyond that, I don’t worry about it until I rotate the tires

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
I use a synthetic chamois. I used to use actual leather hide chamois, but the synthetic one works better. I'm sure there are a ton of variations, but I use "The Absorber" (LINK). You can probably find them at most automotive stores, but they're on Amazon for $12, and I've been using the same one for years, without it losing effectiveness.

I don't do the 2 handed drape and drag like they show on commercials. I guess that works, but it seems like that would only work on the hood. I just wad it up like a normal chamois, and wipe the water away. It gets wet, you wring it out, and wipe again if needed. Some times it takes two passes. For example, I'll wipe the entire hood, which gets the majority of the water off. Wring out the "towel" then wipe the hood again for a dry surface. Areas where the water doesn't pool, like on the doors, will only take one pass.
When I'm done, I wring out the absorber, roll it up and store it in the tube. I use it damp, just like a leather chamois.
I use my leaf blower 1st then touch up with the absorber then a hand towel for the door jams . Works for me !

ofarvoo

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler MOAB
2A051BB5-2744-4E38-BB89-AD2B67AE9AF9.jpeg
0919AA04-6230-41E4-902F-1843CE1A2E23.jpeg
This drying towel above is pricey and the other towels griots make are top notch, use them all the time and they stand up to Jeep cleaning and really dry . I use most of the griots products as there cleaning solutions are designed with lower harmful chemicals to paint than other wash products. Also autoglym is another brand from the UK that I get shipped in for the paint protection, did a dual coat protection last night on the JL. I really should do a whole section on how to use these products one day. This is the result of clean yesterday.... ps the JL does not ship overnight from amazon lol

Sponsored

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon JL, 2018 Accord, 2008 Accord, 2007 CRV, 2000 Dodge Dakota
Okay...on the record, it's a Jeep, it's not suppose to be spotless. Off the record, I use the two bucket method to wash, then dry with several good clean microfiber towels. I have a dedicated towel for the fender wells and wheels. I wash it early in the morning or later in the evening in the shade (or anytime on overcast days) to avoid sunspots. Yes, I know I'm OCD...sue me. ;)

I avoid using a blower on a vehicle (I only use the blower after I have sprayed off the lawnmower) because blowing the jeep off can cause dust to be blown on the paint surface as well. So if you wipe it off with a towel after the blower, those particles are trapped under the towel too...causing swirl marks. Not a problem if you have a white or silver jeep....big problem if your jeep is black, granite, blue, etc.

JoeValkIS

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Can Am Spyder F3T
Vehicle Showcase
One advantage of having a country girl in the house is the likelihood of having raised farm animals...especially show animals. This experience usually requires the show animals to being washed and dried before a show. And this requires some sort of dryer to accomplish this.

This isnt the exact one she has but it is close enough. Since it is a heated air source, it dries as it blows the water off. It gets my soft top, side windows, and paint pretty dry with just a few minites of blowing .
blower.jpg

jimmyzwheelz

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon 2DR
Okay...on the record, it's a Jeep, it's not suppose to be spotless. Off the record, I use the two bucket method to wash, then dry with several good clean microfiber towels. I have a dedicated towel for the fender wells and wheels. I wash it early in the morning or later in the evening in the shade (or anytime on overcast days) to avoid sunspots. Yes, I know I'm OCD...sue me. ;)

I avoid using a blower on a vehicle (I only use the blower after I have sprayed off the lawnmower) because blowing the jeep off can cause dust to be blown on the paint surface as well. So if you wipe it off with a towel after the blower, those particles are trapped under the towel too...causing swirl marks. Not a problem if you have a white or silver jeep....big problem if your jeep is black, granite, blue, etc.
Best advice yet!

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Battery operated Leaf Blower I carry it to the car wash and of course at home. Makes it easy work of drying. Jeep,has alot of areas that hold water.

Dolfin14

First Name
Stephanie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I started using a leaf blower to dry after a wash. Works much better than towels, avoids scratches and get the water out of all the tight areas.
This is what I do. Especially around the handles where water likes to sit and makes water spot streaks hours later.

Sponsored

davidmontalvo

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I use the two bucket wash method with grit guards.

If the car is exceptionally dirty I'll use either a foam cannon or foam gun to pre soak the vehicle.

(https://www.detailersdomain.com/search?q=foam gun*)

When drying I'll use an electric leaf blower (Ego 530 CFM Hand held blower) and finish with a microfiber towel. I find the Eagle Edgeless Koren microfiber 350 GSM works well.

(https://www.detailersdomain.com/products/the-rag-company-eagle-edgeless-350)

My car is coated with Gyeon Synchro and the beading/self cleaning is fantastic! If anyone is reluctant to apply the coating Hydosilex makes a great product. Spray on and wash off and the hydrophophic properties are great considering how easy it is to apply.

If your microfiber towels are not trying adequately it may be due to improper care. Make sure you wash your towels with a microfiber wash and dry them on LOW with other microfiber products. If you place them in the wash with regular bath towels, etc. and dry them on high two things can happen:
1) The lint from the bath towels will imbed themselves into the microfiber degrading performance.
2) Drying on high can actually burn the ends of the microfiber causing them to push water, rather than absorb it.

Hope this helps!

gmangsxr750

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU (Freedom Edition), 2008 Mazda Tribute
Occupation
Web Application Developer
I always have trouble with drying my jeep. I have two large microfiber towels for drying but so much water stays on after the wash that when i try to wipe it down the towels get soaked and i can never truly dry it quickly. In videos the ppl hold two ends of the towel and lightly drag it across the vehicle and its bone dry........that's not my case. The towels are older and im new to washing/waxing (since now i have something i want to take care of), should i get new towels? Maybe have like 5 microfiber towels to rotate once one get damp? Any suggestions? I did first wax last week, will water bead off better with more wax's?
I always dry my vehicle (and dishes) with "The Absorber". Love it. Picks up all moisture and when it's damp, you can wipe over any late drops or streaks and it will take them off and immediately evaporate.

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
I only use two small microfibers. I use one to get most of the water off and keep wringing it out. The second towel is to follow and actually dry. Towards the end, the second towel gets pretty damp.
EXACTLY what Sheganigans wrote; buy the two Microfiber Towel set 1) large & 1 Small and use the small one to get most of the water from a section of the Jeep that you are working on. Wring out the excess water from the small one and finish drying with the large towel. Do this process over the entire Jeep and your done quickly with no water spots ( Do your glass 1st ! ).
Caution blowing water away from Jeep. You can easily blow water into crevices that water does not normally get into and it could cause problems over time.

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
I will come back to this thread in the spring. Right now it's winter in Ohio, why bother.