Sponsored

Washing Naked..? (Possible Dumb Question)

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
And I've had the same experience. My JK drowned in some serious rain, too, and after sitting in the sun, kept on keeping on just fine. I think we both got lucky. I'm merely stating the material design and construction of the Wrangler dash is no different than any other FCA vehicle and the marketing folks over at Jeep suggesting otherwise is disingenuous.
Yes, all the FCA stuff generally shares the same connections which are a version of a weatherpak or deutsch. And they are all generally considered water resistant. So you could have sprayed down the dash of your challenger. The main difference is the soft materials the Wrangler gets items that are treated to be mold and mildew resistant, and that Jeep actually does a spray test on the interior to ensure that those connections will be enough.
Sponsored

brain

First Name
brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.unsinkablebriancork.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JT (Gladiator) Mojave | Gobi
Occupation
Business and Executive Coach
Vehicle Showcase
Might consider covering the dash while washing.
I agree. Wranglers are so easy and convenient to clean. You can literally hose them out and they should be reasonably dry in a day or so. Maybe the same day in the sun. I've been caught in a few pop-up rainstorms with the top and doors off. It just adds to the fun. But, always cover the dash if you want to try this approach.

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I wash mine with the top down and doors off. I am careful around the interior.

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR Diesel, '17 Cherokee, '16 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Retired - most of the time anyway
Not like the old CJ Jeeps, too many sensitive electronics in the new Jeeps to get the interior soaked or washed out with a power washer. Quick way to void your warranty I would think.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Not like the old CJ Jeeps, too many sensitive electronics in the new Jeeps to get the interior soaked or washed out with a power washer. Quick way to void your warranty I would think.
I’ve gotta agree, 50k vehicle’s and guys are hosing the interior.
Better men than me

Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
For all the shit you have to deal with at work, I’d say you’re better than most! :like:
Thanks brother Kev, just a workin slob but definitely not better than anyone.
After 31 years a plumber I will say I’ve dealt with plenty of s**t though. Lol.

OP
OP

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Exactly, I have a bottle of chemical guys waterless wash but afraid to use it.. just does not seem logical.

Lou Bunn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
I did detailing for 10 years and I remember when Optimum No Rinse or ONR in detail forum speak came out. I was reluctant to use it - at first, then, after many other detailers I looked up to started using it, I tried it and it works. There are many techniques that I have seen over time, some use a crazy amount of microfiber towels, but, for me I go with these simple rules:
1. If it's covered in mud, go to the car wash - coin type, and RINSE it
2. 2 buckets, one for the wash, one plain water or a little ONR for the rinse
3. get a sprayer and spray the nasty parts with ONR mixed to QD strenth
4 I use a simple cheap grout sponge, wash top to bottom, one section at a time
5 wipe down with a microfiber towel, rinse that in the rinse bucket as needed
6 don't forget the grit guards in the buckets
It's like sex, first time you're nervous and awkward, afterwards you can't wait to try again!

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR Diesel, '17 Cherokee, '16 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Retired - most of the time anyway
it is waterproof.
Hate to tell you, urban legend, electronics in your JL are NOT waterproof. In fact, will tell you not to drive in any water deeper than 30" so as not to damage sensitive electronics. Could void your warranty of you damage the electronics under the hood or behind the dash.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
m
Hate to tell you, urban legend, electronics in your JL are NOT waterproof. In fact, will tell you not to drive in any water deeper than 30" so as not to damage sensitive electronics. Could void your warranty of you damage the electronics under the hood or behind the dash.
Well I did wash mine once with a hose and everything works fine.

This is NOT an urban legend. the JL dashboard is water resistant. cannot be submerged on water, but can resist a shower.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Good lord people the fording depth really has nothing to do with the electronics. The fording depth is determined by the breather lines for the hard parts like the diffs, t-case, and transmission. You are okay to get your dash wet. Many of us have had it happen. Some on purpose, some just caught in the rain. But stop with all the silliness of "you'll ruin your Jeep" or "warranty won't cover that"
Sponsored