Washed the Jeep...now I’m sad

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Ok, had her for about two months and finally decided to wash her. Well, that was a mistake.

With my OCD I was able to find various blemishes in the paint, fitment issues, etc. Now I’ll have to work with the dealer to get them corrected if possible.
Sponsored

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392XR
Ok, had her for about two months and finally decided to wash her. Well, that was a mistake.

With my OCD I was able to find various blemishes in the paint, fitment issues, etc. Now I’ll have to work with the dealer to get them corrected if possible.
Same thing happened to me. I finally just decided to let it go, because this seems to happen with every vehicle I buy. Non are perfect like you think they should be.

Grimm_E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Not to worry, just give it a mud bath, and it will be a perfect Jeep;). But seriously, I am sorry this happened. What kind of blemishes? Can you provide pictures?

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
may sound kind of wacky and very anal, but starting 4 vehicles ago, I request to wash the vehicle myself before I purchase it, only had 1 vehicle that I did not purchase because of a blemish, the bottom rear quarter panel had a rough texture like it was covered with over spray not visible to the eye....

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I get all my cars color corrected then Xpeled + ceramic coated. I'm rarely impressed by any factory paint job unfortunately. I won't be washing the Jeep until it's at the dealer getting wrapped. What's the cure time on paint nowadays anyway? Used to be weeks.

Sponsored

EAE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.YourAppsCompany.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rebicon, 2005 Porsche Cayenne S, 2010 Ford Fusion, 2003 BMW K1200GT
Occupation
Business Owner, Entrepreneur, Engineer
I get all my cars color corrected then Xpeled + ceramic coated. I'm rarely impressed by any factory paint job unfortunately. I won't be washing the Jeep until it's at the dealer getting wrapped. What's the cure time on paint nowadays anyway? Used to be weeks.

Could you expand upon this process? I’ve never heard of it before...

TIA

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Could you expand upon this process? I’ve never heard of it before...

TIA
When you first buy a car you find a local high end dealer that does the whole shebang (or do it yourself).

1. Color correct to work out imperfections from factory
2. Protective Film on body (Xpel, etc) to protect from chips/scratches (nothing super deep)
3. Ceramic coating (Ceramic Pro 9h, etc) to form a hydrophobic barrier over the paint for UV and water protection, etc. Water beads right off of it.

You basically seal the paint. Requires a bit of maintenance over the years but nothing crazy, sometimes a ceramic re-coat here and there. It's warrantied for 5-10 years.

You can read about it here, paint protection has come a LONG way from what I was used to when I bought my last lux car. I made the mistake of getting into Porsches awhile back. I'm by no means a detailer so I don't want to say anything and completely mislead. Recently learned of it myself and haven't experimented much. Last three cars I think and I havent changed products.

https://www.apexautoco.com/detail/

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
I will no longer buy a new vehicle that has been "detailed" by the dealer. All they do is give some kid a buffer and say "go to town". Then they smear the inside and tires with armour all. When I bought my STI, I asked the dealer to do minimal prep, and I drove it off the lot with 4 miles and all the white paint protection in place :D

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
I visited a Detailer with a popular reputation near me - All in: hand wash, clay bar, polish, paint correction, ceramic coating, glass and all plastic treatment 1400 bucks. Xpel= another 2000. $3400 in total.

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Kevlar/LineX/Rhino coatings? Seems to be the best solution to "I don't worry about it anymore". :) I'm going to wait a few years, however.

Sponsored

LunchBoxFab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Kevlar/LineX/Rhino coatings? Seems to be the best solution to "I don't worry about it anymore". :) I'm going to wait a few years, however.
my problem with those coatings is that they are very hard to clean and make look clean again.

FastAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JlR
I will no longer buy a new vehicle that has been "detailed" by the dealer. All they do is give some kid a buffer and say "go to town". Then they smear the inside and tires with armour all. When I bought my STI, I asked the dealer to do minimal prep, and I drove it off the lot with 4 miles and all the white paint protection in place :D
Just came from a sti, that paint plus anything other than a perfect hand wash is trouble.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Paint correction is not hard, just time consuming. Get a porter cable orbital buffer, meguiars m105 and m205 compound. Then Hex-logic orange, white and black discs and some good towels from the rag company. Watch a few you tube videos for technique and buffer speed.

I put about 30hrs into my ls1 and the paint came out like glass. But personally i enjoy doing that stuff.

Im JL'in!

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Heres how my beautiful sting grey was handed to me. It was snowing and I had to wait for it to be brought from another location, then cleaned up. I told him I didnt need it washed but they did it anyway, pretty sure they used the floor broom, or 120 grit. I dont want them coming near it to correct, I'll just have to wait till the warmer months to make it perfect.

20190322_001841.jpg

Lou Bunn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
That's just light surface scratches in the clear coat. You "could" go to autogeek and get a Griots Garage buffer (like the old Porter Cable model) - cheap and works, then a little polish like the Megs stuff for microfiber pads and then a good wax or sealer. There is NO reason to spend a lot of money and the work (labor) ain't bad - just don't try to make it a second job. If you do be careful with your back, ask me how I know...
Sponsored