Sponsored

Washed key fob- Now acting up, anyone know how to reprogram?

Eric552

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
So there was an incident with one of my key fobs and it ended up in the washer ..

Since that time, it is now acting strange. The door lock button works but then flashes the red led (16) times afterwords.
The unlock button does nothing- No locks or led.
The auto start button beeps the horn one time (doesn't start) and then flashes the red led 16 times.

The proximity still operates in unlocking the door handle when touched and the jeep still starts when the fob is inside.
I have taken the fob completely apart and all is dry/undamaged in appearance. There was actually only minimal water drops inside right after I got it out of the wash.

I tried looking up to see if there is some type of error code associate with the 16 red led blinks and also instructions on how to just reprogram the fob all together but unsuccessful in finding info on either one. Anyone out there have an ideas?
Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
If they’re like every other modern key fob, unfortunately it’s an expensive trip to the dealership. Only a dealership or a maybe a locksmith that specializes in automotive can program it. Your fob is probably not salvageable if it was run through the washing machine.

Tpham

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler sport s
Take everything apart and try the old rice trick for a couple days. Doesn't hurt to try.

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase
So there was an incident with one of my key fobs and it ended up in the washer ..

Since that time, it is now acting strange. The door lock button works but then flashes the red led (16) times afterwords.
The auto start button beeps the horn one time (doesn't start) and then flashes the red led 16 times.

The proximity still operates in unlocking the door handle when touched and the jeep still starts when the fob is inside.
I have taken the fob completely apart and all is dry/undamaged in appearance. There was actually only minimal water drops inside right after I got it out of the wash.

I tried looking up to see if there is some type of error code associate with the 16 red led blinks and also instructions on how to just reprogram the fob all together but unsuccessful in finding info on either one. Anyone out there have an ideas?
How did you accidentally put that brick in your washer? I agree with the rice trick, and then replace the battery just to be safe. But more than likely it might have to be a trip to the dealer.

Sierra Nevada

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red Rubi JL Unlimited
Try resetting fob by taking the battery out and reinstall.

If you have maxcare lifetime warranty, you get up to 3 new fob's.

Sponsored

Skippy

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Ford Bronco 351W, 2021 Rubicon 4xe

That sucks it doens't work. Hopefully the rice trick works for you and thats all it is. On a lighter note I might put mine through the washer so it makes the proximity work better. Im sick of standing next to my jeep looking like a tard pulling my handle 5 times before I reach for my remote cause I forgot proximity must be within 5 inches it seems.

jaldeborgh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 400, 1949 Triumph 2000 (under restoration), 2004 Ducati Monster S4R, 2003 BMW K1200RS, and 4 Vespa scooters.
Occupation
Semiconductor Capital Equipment Sales Executive
Any update on this? My wife did the same thing with one of our keys but the Jeep's alarm sounded not long after she started the wash, the washer is close to the garage. I disassembled the key dried it with both a hair dryer and in some rice. The interesting part is the enter and drive works, the Jeep starts and runs, the door lock button on the door handles work but all/any of the buttons on the key fob set off the panic alarm. When I press the key fob buttons there is a small red LED that flashes in one of several sequences. Some times fast, sometimes fast then slow. The number of flashes is not consistent on depending on which button is pressed. Any ideas? Thanks.

jaldeborgh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 400, 1949 Triumph 2000 (under restoration), 2004 Ducati Monster S4R, 2003 BMW K1200RS, and 4 Vespa scooters.
Occupation
The washer will live :)

She only figured out the key was in there when the car alarm went nuts. She stopped the machine and took the key from her pants pocket.

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Sponsored

OP
OP
Eric552

Eric552

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
UPDATE: After trying several things, the fob was not salvageable. A quick trip to the dealer, they declared the fob dead and ordered a new one. Took about two weeks to come in and a quick reprogram and good as new. There were no questions even asked by my dealer.

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
UPDATE: After trying several things, the fob was not salvageable. A quick trip to the dealer, they declared the fob dead and ordered a new one. Took about two weeks to come in and a quick reprogram and good as new. There were no questions even asked by my dealer.
I assume they covered it under warranty?

:like:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Once the fob is completely dry and you bring to dealer and just say it stopped working, undoubtedly, it will be replaced under warranty.....

If you tell the dealer that you submersed it, then I'd say you would more likely have the dealer saying the replacement was on you, not FCA.

jomar

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl wrangler sport
Take everything apart and try the old rice trick for a couple days. Doesn't hurt to try.

Went swimming in salt water with mine. Had to look up on internet how to start with dead key fob. Press start button with the fob and it worked...Sprayed inside of fob with electronic cleaner replaced battery and worked for about 3 hours and battery went dead. Took apart sprayed with cleaner and replaced battery again worked for 1 day. Next I removed the board and sprayed both sides of board let dry good replaced battery again and this time lasted 3 days battery dead again. Next took board out of fob placed in Styrofoam cup covered board with electronic cleaner swished liquid around a few times let it sit a few hours let It dry and put back together and working now about 3 weeks, So for the price of 4 batteries and a can of crc qd electronic cleaner bought at Walmart auto center my fob is working. Hope this helps someone from having to buy a new fob.

jaldeborgh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Any update on this? My wife did the same thing with one of our keys but the Jeep's alarm sounded not long after she started the wash, the washer is close to the garage. I disassembled the key dried it with both a hair dryer and in some rice. The interesting part is the enter and drive works, the Jeep starts and runs, the door lock button on the door handles work but all/any of the buttons on the key fob set off the panic alarm. When I press the key fob buttons there is a small red LED that flashes in one of several sequences. Some times fast, sometimes fast then slow. The number of flashes is not consistent on depending on which button is pressed. Any ideas? Thanks.
Update: I took my Wrangler in for it's normal service and showed them the bizarre behavior of the key fob, they replaced it, no questions asked. I did't offer any details.
Sponsored