Sponsored

Was interested in jlur BUT now not sure, too problematic?

colorado25

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner Trail
Hey all, have had my eye on the new JL's since release and was getting closer to pulling the trigger but I can't say I'm really too excited anymore to get one. This forum and youtube is full of people having issues with their new JL's and it's really concerning. I see death wobble, starting issues, steering lock up issues, loose steering, etc. These are all major concerns on a vehicle that cost $50k+. We've had many jeeps within the family through the years but my wife and I have never owned one personally, a JL would be our first jeep and our first ever new vehicle purchase. I think I would absolutely sick if I spent that much and had to deal with these issues. $50k is a lot of money for us but we see the value in having a JL with living in Colorado. I am not tied to any one make or model, we currently have a 5th gen 4Runner trail model that's all stock, while we like to trail it a little, I tend to stay away from any moderate/hard trails due to not wanting to tear it up in it's stock form because it's our primary commuter vehicle and we would most likely keep it and add a jeep to the stable. As I mentioned I love many different makes and models but our 4Runner has been absolutely flawless during our ownership and we've only had to preform oil changes and routine maintenance. Any of you JL owners regret your purchase? Would you of kept or went with a JK after owning your JL for awhile now? I'm just wondering if we are better off looking at JK's after seeing all of these issues. It's rather disappointing reading all of this stuff because we really had our eyes on a jlur.
Sponsored

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
If you aren't willing to deal with issues covered under warranty then you definitely shouldn't get a new vehicle.

I've had mine since March of 18. Nothing but smiles so far. The internet is a petri dish of the problematic. You'll definitely get the bad of the bad. I believe there are tons more people with success stories over problem stories. It is true for every new vehicle ever manufactured.

KinderMojo

First Name
Adel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Jl Sport S. GMC Sierra, Mercedes G63
Occupation
Engineer
If you aren't willing to deal with issues covered under warranty then you definitely shouldn't get a new vehicle.

I've had mine since March of 18. Nothing but smiles so far. The internet is a petri dish of the problematic. You'll definitely get the bad of the bad. I believe there are tons more people with success stories over problem stories. It is true for every new vehicle ever manufactured.
Very true, people don't usually go online to talk about how smooth their ride was on the way home..

OP
OP

colorado25

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner Trail

I can definitely agree with more times than not you'll see negative reviews vs positive ones. People usually just don't take the time to leave a good review no matter what it is. Glad to hear you've had great luck with yours.

As for the issues, does it really matter new vs used? They are still issues in the end regardless of who's paying for them. We've had recalls on new atv's/side by sides we've owned but the issue gets fixed. It appears a lot of the problems people are having Jeep has no clue what's going on. These owners take their vehicle in, dealer cant replicate the problem and down road they go just to deal with it later that day or the next. I could totally be okay with dealing with a warranty type issue if there was a resolution but it doesn't appear this is what we are talking about here

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
I can definitely agree with more times than not you'll see negative reviews vs positive ones. People usually just don't take the time to leave a good review no matter what it is. Glad to hear you've had great luck with yours.

As for the issues, does it really matter new vs used? They are still issues in the end regardless of who's paying for them. We've had recalls on new atv's/side by sides we've owned but the issue gets fixed. It appears a lot of the problems people are having Jeep has no clue what's going on. These owners take their vehicle in, dealer cant replicate the problem and down road they go just to deal with it later that day or the next. I could totally be okay with dealing with a warranty type issue if there was a resolution but it doesn't appear this is what we are talking about here
New VS. Used really depends on what you want in the end. We've had 2 JK's. I wanted something different.

I think the "we couldn't replicate" deal is just how dealerships handle issues hoping you don't come back as we've heard it before.

If you get into issues where the dealership throws up their hands that's where the internet may have figured it out. Pooling our knowledge has great benefit. I believe that is why there are jeep representatives on this site.

Sponsored

CanAmMick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring
Occupation
USAF Retired Helicopter mechanic
We absolutely love our Jeep! It in the shop now, but that doesn’t keep me from regretting our purchase. We have a little over 8500 miles on it since we purchased it in mid June. Been to places that I never would have taken another vehicle. Would I purchase another one if something happened to this one, Definitely!

Jeeptimus Prime

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR
Kinda blows my mind when Jeep states they tested the Wrangler for millions of miles yet issues still pop up or somehow something came up that didn't appear in testing. How can this be? From what I have heard so far I believe the majority of Wrangler issues are not engineering but issues related to manufacturing. Like the weld issues or the death wobble. Granted this affects a very small percentage of Wranglers and most of the issues Jeep didn't know about at first have been verified and resolved.

Most know that the first model year will typically have the most issues/defects that will get ironed out in the following years. Many have said the 2018 JK was its best year. I plan on getting a 2019 and appreciate others posting on here about stuff which will help me know what to look for when test driving and checking out a new Wrangler (lessen the chance of getting a lemon).

CanAmMick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring
Occupation
USAF Retired Helicopter mechanic
Kinda blows my mind when Jeep states they tested the Wrangler for millions of miles yet issues still pop up or somehow something came up that didn't appear in testing. How can this be? From what I have heard so far I believe the majority of Wrangler issues are not engineering but issues related to manufacturing. Like the weld issues or the death wobble. Granted this affects a very small percentage of Wranglers and most of the issues Jeep didn't know about at first have been verified and resolved.

Most know that the first model year will typically have the most issues/defects that will get ironed out in the following years. Many have said the 2018 JK was its best year. I plan on getting a 2019 and appreciate others posting on here about stuff which will help me know what to look for when test driving and checking out a new Wrangler (lessen the chance of getting a lemon).
Like you said, it’s a new model. They’ll more than likely get everything l worked out in it. If you going to go off road, this is the vehicle to have.

jaldeborgh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 400, 1949 Triumph 2000 (under restoration), 2004 Ducati Monster S4R, 2003 BMW K1200RS, and 4 Vespa scooters.
Occupation
Semiconductor Capital Equipment Sales Executive
I think the OP should take a test drive that replicates his/her typical driving conditions, highway, back roads, whatever. If you like the experience then everything else should be upside or repairable under warranty. One thing I’ve learned on YouTube, the JL is a very capable off-road Wrangler. Users beat these vehicles hard and they’re proving to be tough.

We’ve owned our JLUR since March 2018 and it’s only now going in for a S/W recall, oil change and tire rotation. That’s it, no other issues. You love Wranglers for what they are, not for what they aren’t. It’s a truck and drives like a truck. The new tech is nice but it’s just lipstick on a tough old SOB.

Sponsored

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
Kinda blows my mind when Jeep states they tested the Wrangler for millions of miles yet issues still pop up or somehow something came up that didn't appear in testing. How can this be?
Testers test designs not manufacturing yield quality. Bad steering stabilizers, lose bolts, bad welds all happened due to process issues or 3rd party parts failing.

Test drive the wrangler you want before you buy. If the steering is whacked dotn buy it. I had a high speed shimmy, tightened up bolts, replaced defective stabilizer, and no more issue. Can it come back? sure, This design is gonna require us to keep wheels balanced, alignments good, and front end torqued, and bushing good.

In the next couple of months I expect their will be an update to steering program to reduce some of quirks and over sensitivity. WE may see another rev on the steering box too one could guess.

EZMFE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
You have a 5th gen 4Runner Trail with a-trac and a rear locker right? Pretty popular vehicle for setting up an over-landing rig. Lots of room and tons of aftermarket parts. Might consider building it up and buying something else for your primary.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
I overheard two service advisors talking while I was getting my oil changed this weekend. They were discussing how they wouldnt buy a JL because they have been horribly unreliable. They were talking to a guy who had brought his Grand Cherokee in and was looking at my JL. I overheard and butted in and told them the only issue I'd had was steering locking up and the TSB hadn't fixed it. They said that has been the problem is that there are so many issues that the "fixes" recommended for FCA do absolutely nothing. They said that from what they have seen the ones that don't have problems, seem to be pretty trouble-free but the ones that have had issues, seem to have issue after issue after issue. They said that they have a demo unit for the sales guys to drive and no one will drive it because the steering is so bad and it has been in and out of their shop but so far nothing has fixed the loose feeling.

prw04

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon Billet Silver
Take it for what it is worth, it’s the internet. I had a 2017 JKU that was bought back by FCA. Leaks, transmission issues, rear seal leak issues and it went on. So much for best years are the last years in an outgoing model. Fast forward my JlU I have had just shy of a year. Only problems I have had after 12000 miles; soft top back window replaced not taunt enough and one passenger rear corner bracket that the window snaps into. Nothing else, no steering issues nothing.

Last edited:

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
My suggestion:

Buy a new JK still on lot or a 2017-2018 JK trade in. The JK is more time tested and will save you a lot of money. This will address your two major concerns while providing you a jeep.

The JL is a lot of money, and quite honestly, for no good reason. FCA feels they can get away with it.

I bought a 2019 RAM and a 2019 JLUR. There is no comparison between the two. The RAM has become a luxury vehicle that also works as a truck. The JLUR is the same chintzy jeep it has always been but with a couple added tech features. With the JLUR there seems to be quite a few items they didn't get right/haven't figured out yet. I have driven a couple of them and they have all been buggy. A major disappointment is that they are not good in the snow. I had 4 JKs and they were great. The RAM is also awesome in the snow. The JL handles like a rear wheel drive pick-up in the snow...
Sponsored