Sponsored

Was interested in jlur BUT now not sure, too problematic?

@OUTDOORTREE

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
This JLUR is my first Jeep. I love it. Death wobbles started at 14k miles but I still love it. After dealer replaced steering dampner and the replacement blew out I purchased the Teraflex and have had zero steering problems. I love the Jeep. Always looking for opportunities to get dirty!
DSC01036.jpeg
Sponsored

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
I've had 27 jeeps over 50 or more years, loved them all even the very few that had problems. Buy one you'll love it, however if you ForeRunner has been that good why would you consider buying something than another ForeRunner??

Of my 27 Jeeps some used most new, 3 were love hate relations, all three were fixed under warranty, none of the 3 "love/hates were FCA vehicles. Loved both my JKU Sahara's but so far the newest JLU Sahara is far better.

Try one then do what you think best, don't look back or pay too much attention to this forum or others! This is a great great forum for complainers rather that "lovers"!! lol

Go Jeep!!!

wvgasguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR / 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner / 2016 Suburban LTZ and 1979 Chevy K10 short bed
Occupation
Retired
In your own opinion what makes the JL more superior than the JK. We spent 7 days in a JKU sahara rental earlier this summer and that's about the only one I can personally compare to.

Nice! In your own opinion, what makes your new JLUR a drastic improvement over your 17JKU?
First off I really liked my 2017 Saraha. It was my daily driver and I picked my grandkids up everyday from school in it. I'm a "senior" aged 65 with some neck problems and in the parking lot I had trouble backing out everyday and was afraid I might hit a kid. The JK did NOT have a back up camera. I didn't have the NAV system so if I were to go aftermarket it would have been a little more hassle to put a screen in large enough to be useful so I started thinking about moving up to the JL. Once I decided to move up I started looking at the things the Rubicon had that my Sahara did not have and priced these things out in my mind and I decided the Rubicon would be the better deal for me.

However if one wants an all wheel drive the Sahara with the autoselect is something you have never been able to get in a Wrangler

First off, these things on my JL Rubicon are "value added" items not on the Sahara. Granted you don't need all these but if one were indeed to purchase them I'm guessing you'd easily have $12K to $15K invested. The Rubi is not that much more expensive

POWER DOME HOOD_Vented
MOPAR BIG BRAKE KIT
PARK VIEW REAR BACKUP CAMERA
1 YEAR SIRIUS XM RADIO
LT 285/70R17C BSW OFF ROAD TIRES
4.10 AXLE RATIO
4:1 ROCK-TRAC HD PART TIME 4WD
DANA M210 WIDE FRONT AXLE
DANA M220 WIDE REAR AXLE
START-STOP DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM
PERFORMANCE SUSPENSION
TRU-LOK FRONT & REAR AXLES
FRONT DISCONNECTING STABILIZER BAR
ROCK PROTECTION SILL RAILS
TRANSFER CASE SKID PLATE SHIELD
TRANSMISSION SKID PLATE
FUEL TANK SKID PLATE SHIELD
AUX BATTERY
FUEL FILTER DOOR
UNIVERSAL GARAGE DOOR OPENER
HILL START ASSIST
KEYLESS GO IGNITION
TILT TELESCOPIC STEERING COLUMN
TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING DISPLAY
AMBIENT LED INTERIOR LIGHTING
RED TOW HOOKS f&r
High Rise Fenders

New Dana 44 axles are beefier with stronger and thicker tubes as well as stronger forgings. The front axle has an 8.26-inch ring gear and the rear uses a larger 8.66-inch unit.

Those Dana 44 axles aren’t just stronger, they’re 1.5 inches wider, too. And that helped the engineers design in more steering angle into the new JL, so it could cut a 1-foot tighter turning circle than the old model.

The Wrangler’s steering column both tilts and telescopes,

The new Rubicon has unique fender flares and wheel openings to accommodate the 33-inch BF Goodrich K02 All-Terrain tires from the factory.

There’s almost 11 inches under the differentials

Quick fold windshield (5 bolts). The rearview mirror stays in place. The entire cage structure is composed of stiff ultra-high strength steel bars, so whether the windshield of the JL is up or down, it feels solid

The all-new frame is now fully-boxed with a hydroformed front section and uses 80 percent high strength steel, a “big jump”, Leyes says, over the JK. Torsional stiffness has been increased by 18 percent too. The bending stiffness is about equal to the current JK. The new frame is actually 100 pounds lighter than the old one as well, and there’s a new design for all the body mounts which contributes to much better isolation from the road or trail.

The new eight-speed automatic has a deeper First gear than the old five-speed automatic as well. So auto-equipped Wrangler Rubicons can manage a crawl ratio of 77.2:1.

But the real improvements from the JK to the JL are (some being little things)
Doors stay open w/ indents
Rear window wiper wipes whole window
Rear wiper motor no longer on top blocking view
GOOD view out of rear window
Fog lights don't turn off every time you turn the lights off
Rear ventilation ducts
Good informational display in instrument cluster
Grid in grill openings
Gas Cap cover
Tire pressure monitors
Rear seats on slight recline
Removable Rear Quarter Windows
33" tires standard
Rear view camera
Smoother ride on highway

Additionally, there are other options now available that make life easier. Like the aux switches on the dash with the trailer pkg. It makes hooking up lights easy and a factory look for the switches

I probably missed a few things, but overall they tried to improve every inch of the JL

Last edited:

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
WVGASGUY,

I agree with most of what you say with some exceptions. The first is that Rubi's are great but a wee bit more than a little more pricey than a Sahara and that's fine IF you'll be using it more than 10 or 20% off road and lotsa rocks. Second thing is some of the things you mentioned included on the Rubicon to be fair, are also on the Sahara. By the way the dual Battery system (ESS) on the new JL kinda stinks!

My Son in law has a loaded JLUR , same as my Sahara except I have Selec-Trac my JLU Sahara was $47,500 his JLU Rubicon was $52,600 and it's not been off road in 7500 miles, nice though it has red tow hooks front and back! My JLUS has had about 10% moderate off road use in it's 11K miles. I love Rubicons as I love all Jeeps but for most of us will never do enough or tough enough off roading to warrant the extra great stuff. I really do like your hood and metal bumpers though!!

also on the Sahara

PARK VIEW REAR BACKUP CAMERA
1 YEAR SIRIUS XM RADIO
DANA M220 REAR AXLE w/ANTI SPIN or LSD
START-STOP DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM
TRANSFER CASE SKID PLATE SHIELD
TRANSMISSION SKID PLATE
FUEL TANK SKID PLATE SHIELD
AUX BATTERY ????
UNIVERSAL GARAGE DOOR OPENER
HILL START ASSIST
KEYLESS GO IGNITION
TILT TELESCOPIC STEERING COLUMN
TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING DISPLAY
AMBIENT LED INTERIOR LIGHTING
BLACK TOW HOOKS f&r same as Rubicon 'cept black

Go Jeep!!!

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
Hey all, have had my eye on the new JL's since release and was getting closer to pulling the trigger but I can't say I'm really too excited anymore to get one. This forum and youtube is full of people having issues with their new JL's and it's really concerning. I see death wobble, starting issues, steering lock up issues, loose steering, etc. These are all major concerns on a vehicle that cost $50k+. We've had many jeeps within the family through the years but my wife and I have never owned one personally, a JL would be our first jeep and our first ever new vehicle purchase. I think I would absolutely sick if I spent that much and had to deal with these issues. $50k is a lot of money for us but we see the value in having a JL with living in Colorado. I am not tied to any one make or model, we currently have a 5th gen 4Runner trail model that's all stock, while we like to trail it a little, I tend to stay away from any moderate/hard trails due to not wanting to tear it up in it's stock form because it's our primary commuter vehicle and we would most likely keep it and add a jeep to the stable. As I mentioned I love many different makes and models but our 4Runner has been absolutely flawless during our ownership and we've only had to preform oil changes and routine maintenance. Any of you JL owners regret your purchase? Would you of kept or went with a JK after owning your JL for awhile now? I'm just wondering if we are better off looking at JK's after seeing all of these issues. It's rather disappointing reading all of this stuff because we really had our eyes on a jlur.
Get a volvo

Sponsored

HungryKen

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2 door JL Rubicon 2.0 Turbo
Hey all, have had my eye on the new JL's since release and was getting closer to pulling the trigger but I can't say I'm really too excited anymore to get one. This forum and youtube is full of people having issues with their new JL's and it's really concerning. I see death wobble, starting issues, steering lock up issues, loose steering, etc. These are all major concerns on a vehicle that cost $50k+. We've had many jeeps within the family through the years but my wife and I have never owned one personally, a JL would be our first jeep and our first ever new vehicle purchase. I think I would absolutely sick if I spent that much and had to deal with these issues. $50k is a lot of money for us but we see the value in having a JL with living in Colorado. I am not tied to any one make or model, we currently have a 5th gen 4Runner trail model that's all stock, while we like to trail it a little, I tend to stay away from any moderate/hard trails due to not wanting to tear it up in it's stock form because it's our primary commuter vehicle and we would most likely keep it and add a jeep to the stable. As I mentioned I love many different makes and models but our 4Runner has been absolutely flawless during our ownership and we've only had to preform oil changes and routine maintenance. Any of you JL owners regret your purchase? Would you of kept or went with a JK after owning your JL for awhile now? I'm just wondering if we are better off looking at JK's after seeing all of these issues. It's rather disappointing reading all of this stuff because we really had our eyes on a jlur.
Just upgraded from a 2 door 2014 jk sport to a 2 door 19 rubicon. I was like you at first and was worried about problems and procrastinated for months. After all, I had a bare bones jk no modern tech in it, so my thought was it’s just more stuff to break in the new ones. However, after finally pulling the trigger I have no regrets at all. It’s been great so far and wouldn’t hesitate if I had to do it again.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2012 JKUS and my new JLR is much better - better interior materials, quieter, everything is smoother from the auto shifter to the way the center console opens. The JK is great and the only problem I've had in 7 years is needed to replace the radiator cap last fall. No steering problems, has always been in alignment. And the guy from Chicago isn't driving a Wrangler in the snow because both mine do great. My JK was buried to the frame in heavy, wet snow and I drove right out.
And if wvgasguy was talking about the standard Rubi hood it is not vented, they are fake vents.

danotje

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
And the guy from Chicago isn't driving a Wrangler in the snow because both mine do great. My JK was buried to the frame in heavy, wet snow and I drove right out.
Yeah, no idea what he was saying. I’m in the interior of Alaska, and it’s great. Sometimes I drop it into 4H to overcome an intersection from a dead stop, but out in 2 feet of powder, it’s unbeatable.

BTW...-40 for a few weeks, 3K miles and no issues with my rolling computer, only good times and smiles.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, no idea what he was saying. I’m in the interior of Alaska, and it’s great. Sometimes I drop it into 4H to overcome an intersection from a dead stop, but out in 2 feet of powder, it’s unbeatable.

BTW...-40 for a few weeks, 3K miles and no issues with my rolling computer, only good times and smiles.
But do you smile back at them.... ;)

OP
OP

colorado25

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner Trail
however if you ForeRunner has been that good why would you consider buying something than another ForeRunner??
Sounds like you've had a lot of fun with your jeeps through the years! Regarding my 4Runner trail, I still own it, kind of mentioned my reasons earlier in the post. This was originally my plan, to set it up for doing trails but they really don't like big tires without doing substantial work and I find myself wanting to do more difficult trails. In it's stock form it's been just an all around great vehicle. The body mass on the 4Runner's is also pretty large compared to a wrangler. Some of our trails here are very narrow and that is one of the many nice things regarding a wrangler.

First off I really liked my 2017 Saraha. It was my daily driver.........
Thank you for your input and listing all that out

Get a volvo
Hope your day gets better friend

Sponsored

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
Sounds like you've had a lot of fun with your jeeps through the years! Regarding my 4Runner trail, I still own it, kind of mentioned my reasons earlier in the post. This was originally my plan, to set it up for doing trails but they really don't like big tires without doing substantial work and I find myself wanting to do more difficult trails. In it's stock form it's been just an all around great vehicle. The body mass on the 4Runner's is also pretty large compared to a wrangler. Some of our trails here are very narrow and that is one of the many nice things regarding a wrangler.

Thank you for your input and listing all that out

Hope your day gets better friend
Actually going great! Thanks for saying!

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
Ok...uh, cool?

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU (SOLD - March 2021)
Occupation
SD-WAN Engineer - Technical Author
If you don't buy one, you'll never feel like this....

dirt.jpeg

danotje

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Here’s two surviving well in the winter

4653210D-E5BB-44C2-88A4-DEADDC83C7F8.jpeg
Sponsored