Sponsored

Was interested in jlur BUT now not sure, too problematic?

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
I specifically waited for a 2019 to avoid some of the first year manufacturing blues. Dunno out it made a difference, but mine's been flawless.

I keep meaning to post my review, but keep getting distracted. Mostly by going out and driving my Jeep. I literally can't help but smile every time I drive it. I think most are in the same category -- they just drop off the forums when everything is going well, and reemerge if there's a problem.
Sponsored

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
@colorado25 ... plenty of threads on the subject...here's another.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/buyers-remorse.19921/

There's a risk associated with any vehicle you buy...that's not a ground-breaking statement.

I have an M3 that had a recall that wasn't even associated with performance... Takata airbag thing. You just can't see problems coming. If you're having second thoughts, maybe move on to another vehicle.

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
I see several issues in buy or not to buy... First I was excited to see the new JL models advances over JK. I have had four other Jeeps and no JK as it did not excite me as I enjoyed my TJ and accessories. So I test drove several JL's and I did test one that had steering problems but at the time I did not know it was this famous issue. In fact my wife said this is bad ride don't buy one. Well, I ordered a 2018 JLR and followed the reported steering issues and shared with my wife. I could see the steering issue was on the earlier production models as I read the post and FCA reports from the earlier owners and the later owners where happier while mine was in production.

I'm like everyone saying don't buy the first year model. I was worried and willing to accept if my JLR was going to have an issue. But my built spent a few extra weeks in production which was when the steering issue was worked out. I got delivery and all is fine. I drive my Jeep and am thankful as it a dream and a joy to drive or ride in.

I have read all the polls and more then not shows the likes win over the dislikes and over time there will be more likes. I look at this forum for more positive things like different add-on options and where to hit the trails. Experiences in driving the Jeep plus tips on fixing, repairing and maintenance options.

So go for it, buy a Jeep and enjoy the JL as it a better experience then my other Jeeps.

Last edited:

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
My suggestion:

Buy a new JK still on lot or a 2017-2018 JK trade in. The JK is more time tested and will save you a lot of money. This will address your two major concerns while providing you a jeep.

The JL is a lot of money, and quite honestly, for no good reason. FCA feels they can get away with it.

I bought a 2019 RAM and a 2019 JLUR. There is no comparison between the two. The RAM has become a luxury vehicle that also works as a truck. The JLUR is the same chintzy jeep it has always been but with a couple added tech features. With the JLUR there seems to be quite a few items they didn't get right/haven't figured out yet. I have driven a couple of them and they have all been buggy. A major disappointment is that they are not good in the snow. I had 4 JKs and they were great. The RAM is also awesome in the snow. The JL handles like a rear wheel drive pick-up in the snow...

I wanted to reply to this, I just don't even know where to start. They're both completely different vehicles.

OP
OP

colorado25

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner Trail
First, thank you everyone for your replies

Kinda blows my mind when Jeep states they tested the Wrangler for millions of miles yet issues still pop up or somehow something came up that didn't appear in testing
I kinda feel like this a trend with any new product from cars to electronics. The manufacture doesn't spend the time testing the vehicle and expects the consumer to do it for them. They obviously will try and fix that issue once it arises but many of us don't have the time to be their testing department.

You have a 5th gen 4Runner Trail with a-trac and a rear locker right? Pretty popular vehicle for setting up an over-landing rig. Lots of room and tons of aftermarket parts. Might consider building it up and buying something else for your primary.
Yes, has the a-trac, rear locker, adjustable sway bars, etc. This was originally my plan, to set it up for doing trails but they really don't like big tires without doing substantial work and I find myself wanting to do more difficult trails. In it's stock form it's been just an all around great vehicle. From the ride quality to interior room, we just really enjoy it all around. We have a Lexus IS250 for our other vehicle currently and we rarely ever drive it because we both just enjoy the 4Runner much more.

I overheard two service advisors talking while I was getting my oil changed this weekend. They were discussing how they wouldnt buy a JL because they have been horribly unreliable. They were talking to a guy who had brought his Grand Cherokee in and was looking at my JL. I overheard and butted in and told them the only issue I'd had was steering locking up and the TSB hadn't fixed it. They said that has been the problem is that there are so many issues that the "fixes" recommended for FCA do absolutely nothing. They said that from what they have seen the ones that don't have problems, seem to be pretty trouble-free but the ones that have had issues, seem to have issue after issue after issue. They said that they have a demo unit for the sales guys to drive and no one will drive it because the steering is so bad and it has been in and out of their shop but so far nothing has fixed the loose feeling.
Man that makes you feel real comfortable doesn't it? Hearing service advisers discuss this and the fact no one will drive the demo because of these steering issues. Ugh..

My suggestion:

Buy a new JK still on lot or a 2017-2018 JK trade in. The JK is more time tested and will save you a lot of money. This will address your two major concerns while providing you a jeep
I've been thinking about going this direction now, that's if I could find one in the color and options I'd want. When the JL was announced I knew I didn't want the first production year but it doesn't appear the 2019 is looking any better for resolved issues. We spent about a week and half with a JKU Sahara rental while visiting Oregon and California last summer and peaked our interest in actually owning one. While we didn't get it off-road much the on road manners were surprising good.

I specifically waited for a 2019 to avoid some of the first year manufacturing blues. Dunno out it made a difference, but mine's been flawless.

I keep meaning to post my review, but keep getting distracted. Mostly by going out and driving my Jeep. I literally can't help but smile every time I drive it. I think most are in the same category -- they just drop off the forums when everything is going well, and reemerge if there's a problem.
That's good to hear, glad to hear yours has been flawless. When the JL was announced I knew I didn't want the first production year but it doesn't appear the 2019 is looking any better for resolved issues for a few unfortunate owners. Granted that could just be because the majority are having success with theirs like yourself or they just don't post on forums.

Sponsored

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
You need to go drive one, whether from dealerships or friends, then you can tell whether you like it or not.

Internet opinions are like assholes, everyone get one but only those are fucked up show up!

I can let you test drive mine if you happen to be in the OKC area.

DanFelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Bought mine off the lot in San Diego. Its build date is 7/27/18. Bought mine without a test drive since I knew what I was getting. Have not had any problems and none of what I read on Wrangler forums. The "don't buy first year" advice is not really valid for this century. No car manufacturer can survive a bad first year and cars are tested long before they are released. Jeeps are designed to be modded; that's their personality. Consequently, I suspect a some of what is complained about might possibly be the result of mods. If the model was systemically bad then there would be significantly more complaints, but I don't see that. Forums are echo chambers. One valid complaint becomes 100 comments. I suspect that if you don't buy you'll wish you had. IMHO

Chomper

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I rented a 2018 JKU Sahara last summer for two weeks. I bought a 2018 JLU Sahara in December. The JLU Sahara is a far superior vehicle and I loved the JKU.

If you stroll over to the Tacoma forums, you'd think they are junk. People who have issues talk about it far more than the vast majority who have had no problems.

wvgasguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR / 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner / 2016 Suburban LTZ and 1979 Chevy K10 short bed
Occupation
Retired
1000+ on the JLUR with no problems. Drastic improvement over my 17JKU Sahara

Sponsored

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
First, thank you everyone for your replies

I kinda feel like this a trend with any new product from cars to electronics. The manufacture doesn't spend the time testing the vehicle and expects the consumer to do it for them. They obviously will try and fix that issue once it arises but many of us don't have the time to be their testing department.

Yes, has the a-trac, rear locker, adjustable sway bars, etc. This was originally my plan, to set it up for doing trails but they really don't like big tires without doing substantial work and I find myself wanting to do more difficult trails. In it's stock form it's been just an all around great vehicle. From the ride quality to interior room, we just really enjoy it all around. We have a Lexus IS250 for our other vehicle currently and we rarely ever drive it because we both just enjoy the 4Runner much more.

Man that makes you feel real comfortable doesn't it? Hearing service advisers discuss this and the fact no one will drive the demo because of these steering issues. Ugh..

I've been thinking about going this direction now, that's if I could find one in the color and options I'd want. When the JL was announced I knew I didn't want the first production year but it doesn't appear the 2019 is looking any better for resolved issues. We spent about a week and half with a JKU Sahara rental while visiting Oregon and California last summer and peaked our interest in actually owning one. While we didn't get it off-road much the on road manners were surprising good.

That's good to hear, glad to hear yours has been flawless. When the JL was announced I knew I didn't want the first production year but it doesn't appear the 2019 is looking any better for resolved issues for a few unfortunate owners. Granted that could just be because the majority are having success with theirs like yourself or they just don't post on forums.
You could always wait for the 2020 model year as well. Someone posted a a document from the factory. It showed the 2019 will have a short run and 2020s will start production in July.

chadly25

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mercedes CLS550, 2013 JKU Sport, 2018 JLUR
7000 trouble free miles here. Remember that these cars are now rolling computers. How perfect is Microsoft on catching bugs? I expect bugs but haven't had any yet. Loving the JLUR!

IMG_0073 - Copy.JPG
Exactly what he said. I knew from the moment I ordered my JL it would not be perfect. I knew there would be bugs. I also knew that the majority of these issues would eventually be corrected and get pushed out over a wireless update.

This does not mean there aren't still some issues mechanically that will need to be address. I expect my Jeep to be in for service once or twice in the first year to get things corrected. In fact, mine is in the service department as I write this getting 3 things corrected or looked at. If you want to buy a new car and expect to not have any services to correct things, not even sure what car to tell you to get. You may get lucky and have a perfect experience with any car you buy, but regardless of which car you buy there may be a reason or two for a service call.

Not sure how much more reliable a '19 is over an '18 but I wanted an '18. I wanted the OG JL.

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
16863 miles, all smiles...zero issues
'18 Rubicon JLU
Dirt, desert, rain, sand, snow hills, black diamond trails, faster speeds thru whoops than necessary ( my one time test!), Freeway and city driving. I did experience the Jeep death wobble twice in it's stock configuration. Lift, tires, alignment and many off-road miles later, no sign of it.

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase

I think it's the car and not the model or year. Any model car can have lemons. I don't think Jeep JL Wranglers have any more or any less than any other make and model car. I think its the experience driving it that attracts you to a car. Mine I bought last October and have had no problems with other than a glitch in the Uconnect, which went away. Drives great on the road, no problems so far. Get the car you want When you want it. And HOPE its not a lemon........

OP
OP

colorado25

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner Trail
I rented a 2018 JKU Sahara last summer for two weeks. I bought a 2018 JLU Sahara in December. The JLU Sahara is a far superior vehicle and I loved the JKU
In your own opinion what makes the JL more superior than the JK. We spent 7 days in a JKU sahara rental earlier this summer and that's about the only one I can personally compare to.

1000+ on the JLUR with no problems. Drastic improvement over my 17JKU Sahara
Nice! In your own opinion, what makes your new JLUR a drastic improvement over your 17JKU?

You could always wait for the 2020 model year as well. Someone posted a a document from the factory. It showed the 2019 will have a short run and 2020s will start production in July.
Good to know. I definitely could wait but I really hate playing that game. Back when we owned Polaris RZR's that's how that game went, there was always a newer better model a few months out. A person could just end up never buying anything and waiting on the next best thing and not having fun now! haha

If you want to buy a new car and expect to not have any services to correct things, not even sure what car to tell you to get. You may get lucky and have a perfect experience with any car you buy, but regardless of which car you buy there may be a reason or two for a service call
I understand. I guess that's where I've just been really fortunate over the years with my used vehicles. As mentioned I haven't ever bought new, always used. I try and buy a few years old with lowish miles and have been very lucky by just having standard oil changes and maintenance cost. I have wanted to buy new though.
Sponsored