Sponsored

Was Car and Driver paid under the table to write this Bronco vs Wrangler comparison article?

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
5.8 seconds 0-60. Hot damn!
Put it back in your pants. The general conscientious is that we Wrangler drivers do not like powerful engines. In fact, they're yawners to us. We'd prefer that the Wrangler went 0-60 in 15.8 seconds. :)

Bring back the 3.8 and we'll be happy. I'd disconnect two spark plugs on my 3.0 to bring it down to the proper power levels, but, alas, no spark plugs to be found.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Interestingly, Jeep only offered C&D the 4xe or the 392 for the test comparison to the 4-cylinder Bronco. WTF - stack the deck much, Jeep?

C&D had to rent the Sport that they used in the comparison.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
https://www.caranddriver.com/review...-2021-jeep-wrangler-unlimited-sport-compared/

I personally think the writer of this article was biased in favour of the Bronco. What do you think? Can anyone who has test driven both please chime in?
Meh, we all have biases and preferences. Sometimes just being new is enough to gain favor. I'd drive a Bronco if given the opportunity, but I just bought a JLUR for my wife. So that's my vote. I'm sure Ford fanboys won't lose any sleep over that, either.

Sponsored

Bulletbill

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Interestingly, Jeep only offered C&D the 4xe or the 392 for the test comparison to the 4-cylinder Bronco. WTF - stack the deck much, Jeep?

C&D had to rent the Sport that they used in the comparison.
The 4xe is the top selling hybrid in the country at the moment and two of the trims are very comparable to the outerbanks. I give you that the 392 would have been overkill, but the 4xe is very representative of what current buyers are looking for.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 JT
Jeep should have just given them a Sahara to test as a more direct comparison. If Jeep would also improve steering feel, we have a better contest. Iā€™ve driven Jeeps for over 30 years, and some of the steering boxes just suck. Iā€™ll test drive a Bronco, but I need my off road fix that only a Jeep will provide.

wcjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ with stuff. JL 2dr Sport
On another note, I have a question maybe you or others can help me with. I ordered my first Jeep, 2022 Rubicon, 2 weeks ago. I only got to test drive for a short time and did not feel the steering wander issue mentioned in the article and mentioned elsewhere.

For folks who purchased their Jeep new:
Is there a steering wander issue even with a new built (what I would expect to be a tight) JL Jeep?
Thx
Have not driven the Bronco. Just bought a 2Dr JL Sport. My 4runner with Kdss is better on the freeway. Not saying the JL is bad. It's fine for decent road trips. However, the 4runner is superior. Your Rubi should be fine.

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
Like many others, I have driven both. Unlike most on here, I enjoyed both and both have their absolute place in the world.

For anyone but the most hard core crawlers, and the ā€œpurists,ā€ the Bronco will be great. For those who also use the vehicle as their daily, the Bronco will be better. Yes, for people looking at the most technical trails, youā€™ll need the articulation and improved angles the Jeep provides. In addition, for those that prefer to do their own mods, the Jeep is about the only realistic choice with the exception of straight bolt on accessories.

When I drove the Bronco (4 door WildTrak) I felt that it was built better, drove better, rode better, offered more room, and a better configuration on the interior. I was not sold on their power plants and felt they needed some additional ā€œumphā€ to move around, although that could be attributed to the 10 speed that seemed to be searching for the right gear at times on its own and in manual mode takes the driver too much searching on the up and downshifts. I walked away from the Bronco thoroughly impressed and found that it exceeded my expectations. Theyā€™ve put a lot of thought into it and absolutely seemed to be reading comments on here about things people wished Jeep did to/for the Wranglers.

Before the bitching starts since I spoke favorably of the competition, after driving the Bronco I bought a new ā€˜21 Jeep. It fit my needs better for many reasons.

Last edited:

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Ironically, Wrangler sales have been growing through decades of derision and condescension from the ā€œauto experts.ā€
Only because of the 4 door. I believe it was you that said the 2 door is 12-15% of total sales. If FCA had a brain half the size of what god gave a frog, they'd drop the 2 door that is clearly a drag on resources and pump the 4 door with more stuff and more room to increase sales. A yet longer still, Jeep is clearly what people will buy more of.

Give the commoners their 4 doors with power roofs, movie players, butt warmers and coolers, 9 speaker internet pandorspot bluenail stereo, 2 zone thermostatic climate control, power bucket seats, full OLED dash to console display, self-driving with off-road mode and finally, give them their IFS and IRS with rack and pinion, so they can go conquer the wilds of the outlet malls. The people demand it.:devil:

Last edited:

Sponsored

thegame81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xtreme Recon 392
Clubs

Car mags always heavily favor whatever is the flavor of the month to sell more magazines. No Jeep guy is buying that shit lol some guy with a Bronco on order praying for his roof to come in may just buy one.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
TFL posted a Bronco vs 4Runner over the weekend.

I still canā€™t believe how little articulation Bronco has even fully ā€œarticulated.ā€ And Tommy keeps praising Broncoā€™s articulation despite his own video evidence of the contrary.

That swaybar ā€œdislocateā€ switch must work like a placebo: it makes the driver believe the vehicle is doing something it actually isnā€™t.

Sponsored